Now pitching for the Yankees, #89, Miguel Yajure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now pitching for the Yankees, #89, Miguel Yajure

In Monday night’s Yankees-Rays tilt, MLB history was made. Yajure’s relief appearance was the first-ever instance of a Major League player wearing #89, which was the last unused uniform number.

Is he any good? One Gen Z trend I don't mind is good players wearing high numbers.
    "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
    -- Thucydides

Comment

Last number until someone goes to 3 digits.

Comment

Given that the Yanks have retired about 80 numbers already, the pickings of available numbers are slim.

Comment

I'm surprised someone hasn't worn it, just because it had never been worn.

Comment

And don’t forget that Eddie Gaedel wore 1/8.
            “It's not the high price of stardom that bothers me...it's the high price of mediocrity." - Bill Veeck

"If I was going to storm a pillbox, going to sheer, utter, certain death, and the Colonel said 'Shepherd, pick six guys", I'd pick six White Sox fans because they have known death every day of their lives and it holds no terror for them." - Jean Shepherd

Comment

I remember when Fisk's # 72 was so unusual. Players never took numbers that high! Now we have Abreu with 79, Cease with 84 and Robert with 88.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitmen77 View Post
                I remember when Fisk's # 72 was so unusual. Players never took numbers that high! Now we have Abreu with 79, Cease with 84 and Robert with 88.
                Eloy with 74

Comment

Working...
                X