Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electronic devices

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Electronic devices

    So when did the rule change that allows electronic devices in the dugout, all I see now is players on I pads I guess checking out how the pitcher struck him out or got him to pop up. IMHO it stinks.
    Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

  • #2
    Originally posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
    So when did the rule change that allows electronic devices in the dugout, all I see now is players on I pads I guess checking out how the pitcher struck him out or got him to pop up. IMHO it stinks.
    Why? It's very common in all sports to review plays shortly after they occurred.
    Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...



    Comment


    • #3
      Just curious when the rule changed, for decades it wasn’t allowed. Why you ask, I’m a traditionalist when it comes to baseball and believe that the human element is part of the game. I’m also against the electronic strike zone which is probably next on the agenda.
      Why are you for it?
      I have no problem with replays being reviewed and calls overturned by league officials but don’t care for electronic devices in the dugout.
      Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 08-04-2022, 05:49 PM.
      Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
        Just curious when the rule changed, for decades it wasn’t allowed. Why you ask, I’m a traditionalist when it comes to baseball and believe that the human element is part of the game. I’m also against the electronic strike zone which is probably next on the agenda.
        Why are you for it?
        I have no problem with replays being reviewed and calls overturned by league officials but don’t care for electronic devices in the dugout.
        Never really thought about it. I am for it because it's just the way things are and so long as both teams have access I don't see an issue with players reviewing pitches or defensive alignments or whatever. Just another tool to help them be better.
        Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...



        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
          Just curious when the rule changed, for decades it wasn’t allowed. Why you ask, I’m a traditionalist when it comes to baseball and believe that the human element is part of the game. I’m also against the electronic strike zone which is probably next on the agenda.
          Why are you for it?
          I have no problem with replays being reviewed and calls overturned by league officials but don’t care for electronic devices in the dugout.
          Traditionalist be dammed!! How dare you question the reviewing of a pitch thrown that made me look like a T-Baller and I’ve had trouble hitting since A ball. Maybe if I stare at it often enough I’ll make contact. Besides one day I’ll connect and it will raise my average. .001 and could lead to a massive pay raise. I’m too busy working other muscles than that memory one.

          BK59

          Comment


          • #6
            I hate the ipads and video stuff in dugouts and tunnels. It's like kids scrambling to copy papers before class because they didn't do their homework. The advantage these guys have leading up to games with all the video and analytics is enough.

            Comment


            • #7
              I would like to see teams go back to wearing wool uniforms . And end the failed night games and air travel experiments.
              Last edited by Chez; 08-06-2022, 11:33 AM.

              2022 Sox Attendance Tracker: 8-6
              All-time Sox Attendance Tracker: 308-259
              Posts on old WSI: 7344

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Chez View Post
                I would like to see teams go back to wearing wool uniforms . And end the failed night games and air travel experiments.
                Nothing like a good scratch after a game wearing those woolies and a bottom bunker rattle rolling into St. Louis to play those Brownies.

                Comment


                • #9
                  **** the human element, and **** the umpires determining the outcome of games. Give me objective reality every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Reward the pitchers who can throw the ball into that pentagonal prism called the strike zone, and reward the batters who can see that the ball is going to miss the zone. Give me the robot strike zone.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by FielderJones View Post
                    **** the human element, and **** the umpires determining the outcome of games. Give me objective reality every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Reward the pitchers who can throw the ball into that pentagonal prism called the strike zone, and reward the batters who can see that the ball is going to miss the zone. Give me the robot strike zone.
                    I gladly second that. Get the damn call right!
                    (Formerly asindc.)

                    "I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

                    "We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." — George Orwell

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by JazzyCyclist View Post

                      I gladly second that. Get the damn call right!
                      Some folks will argue that pitchers like Tom Glavine would never had made the hall if it wasn't for the umpires widening the zone for his style. To that, I say, "So what?".

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by soxfanatlanta View Post

                        Some folks will argue that pitchers like Tom Glavine would never had made the hall if it wasn't for the umpires widening the zone for his style. To that, I say, "So what?".
                        What do you mean, "so what?" That doesn't even make sense.

                        So you think it's okay for a few pitchers to get a more generous strike zone than others? Glavine and Maddux got strikes called regularly on pitches six inches outside. Just because the catcher sets up out there, that doesn't make it a strike.

                        The strike zone is the strike zone, and should be called the same for everyone.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Nellie Fox View Post

                          What do you mean, "so what?" That doesn't even make sense.

                          So you think it's okay for a few pitchers to get a more generous strike zone than others? Glavine and Maddux got strikes called regularly on pitches six inches outside. Just because the catcher sets up out there, that doesn't make it a strike.

                          The strike zone is the strike zone, and should be called the same for everyone.
                          As bad as the calls can be at least they are more fair these days
                          Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...



                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by voodoochile View Post

                            As bad as the calls can be at least they are more fair these days
                            It's true. There's more accountability now that every tv set has that white box on the screen.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post

                              It's true. There's more accountability now that every tv set has that white box on the screen.
                              But from what I understand, the TV box is based on how umps have called pitches in the recent past, not on what the strike zone actually is. Just tonight I was noticing that the top of the box was at the belt, while the actual top of the zone is the midpoint between the belt and the neck, or what is generally referred to as "the letters." Hitters still have a fit when pitches at the letters are called.

                              I hope if they go to an automated zone, it's based on the actual strike zone, not the umpire strike zone.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X