Facing Nolan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facing Nolan

Documentary from the perspective of the hitters who has the honor of facing Nolan Ryan will be in theaters only one day, May 24th (anniversary of his last no-no). No indication of it will be streamed after that. I would guess some streaming service would get it, otherwise it would be a huge financial loss.

That guy is my favorite pitcher all time. when i lived in Texas, i would sit behind home plate in Arlington Stadium, and man, no one could pop a glove like Nolan Ryan . i was at his 5k strikeout game, and the game where he head-locked Ventura . took quite awhile to live that down . he could be a dick, but was devastating on the mound.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumpjerry View Post
      Documentary from the perspective of the hitters who has the honor of facing Nolan Ryan will be in theaters only one day, May 24th (anniversary of his last no-no). No indication of it will be streamed after that. I would guess some streaming service would get it, otherwise it would be a huge financial loss.
      Which is, believe it or not, a viable strategy for niche productions. Tax write offs...

Anyway. Most films don't get any up front distribution money and have to wait years for payoff anyway after paying to get onto VOD services. Most of the non studio productions lucky enough to secure a good distribution deal still languish in tentpole and festival exhibition phase for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Harwar View Post
        That guy is my favorite pitcher all time. when i lived in Texas, i would sit behind home plate in Arlington Stadium, and man, no one could pop a glove like Nolan Ryan . i was at his 5k strikeout game, and the game where he head-locked Ventura . took quite awhile to live that down . he could be a dick, but was devastating on the mound.
        In his next-to-last season, I went to see him at Comiskey. He was warming up in the CF Buillpen. Nothing special going on.

Usher came along and told us (bunch of us were along the wall watching him) it was time to take our seats for the National Anthem.

As we were heading into the Bleacher benches with our backs to the Bullpen, everyone suddenly jumped at the sound of an 18 wheeler blowing all 18 tires at once at high speed. We turned around just in time to see a very faint white blur go into the Catcher's mitt with the same POP sound. Followed by another one. Everyone smiled as we saw what we came out for.

During the game, my buddy and I were doing our walk around which we always did at Comiskey. The Sox were up when we were behind Home and was watched the radar guns of the Advanced Scouts registering 102 MPH pitches from him. This was in the 5ht or 6th inning and he was over 40 years old! Amazing.

Oh, this game was a week after he one-hit us in Arlington on a Ron Kittle bloop single that "had eyes" for a complete game effort.

Comment

The Rays announcers were talking about Ryan today when he pitched a game in 1974 in which he threw 235 pitches in 13 innings while striking out 19, he was pulled after 13 and his Angels won the game in the 15th inning 4-3.
          I guess they didn't care about pitch counts.

Billy Pierce in 1959 pitched 16 innings against the Orioles in Baltimore in a game that ended in a 1-1 tie because of a local curfew after 18 innings. I listened to that whole game on my transistor radio under my pillow. Still looking for the pitch count.

Juan Marichal in May 1963 threw an 16 inning 1-0 shutout against Warren Spahn who also pitched into the 16th, some consider that game the greatest pitched game in history.
          Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 04-24-2022, 03:06 PM.
          Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumpjerry View Post

Oh, this game was a week after he one-hit us in Arlington on a Ron Kittle bloop single that "had eyes" for a complete game effort.
            I remember watching this game, I got home from work, wolfed down a quick dinner and went and retired to my upstairs man cave to watch the great Ryan’s Express face the surprising and upstart White Sox. I thought to myself I should pop a tape in and record a Nolan Ryan game for posterity. For whatever reason, (couldn’t find a blank tape, or decide which one to tape over, I can’t remember). I decided to NOTtape the game, and then Nolan Ryan proceeded to put on one of the all time greatest pitching clinics I ever saw.

I’ve regretted not taping that game ever since. And if I remember correctly it was a WGN broadcast and not a Sportschannel game, so there was no chance to grab the encore presentation like they offered on Sportschannel.

PS: Lip if you happen to have that game maybe we can work out a trade. 😀

Comment

PS. A few months later in August Nolan darn near did it again, and he put on an equally impressive clinic on the mound. That game featured a bench clearing brawl instigated by Ryan for hitting Grebeck and Hibbard retaliated hitting Buechele.
              Last edited by Wsoxmike59; 05-21-2022, 09:23 PM.

Comment

I was at the game Dick Allen broke up Ryan's no-hitter on an infield single in the ninth and the Sox came back to win. One of the great days at the old yard.

Comment

I anticipate this doc will make This Old Cub seem like a hard-hitting expose in comparison.

Comment

Working...
                  X