Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baseball team values (no link)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Baseball team values (no link)

    Forbes Business Magazine published their MLB franchise values today.

    The White Sox came in a 1.76 Billion dollars. The last place team was Miami valued at "only" 900 million dollars.

  • #2
    Good to know for those of us looking to buy a team or two.

    Comment


    • #3
      I saw the list on Twitter earlier today through Fox Sports. I don't know how to post a link under those circumstances, sorry.

      I also saw something on Twitter from NBC Sports Chicago talking about the Cubs having the 5th highest value but nothing on the Sox who according to Forbes are 11th if I remember right.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Dumpjerry View Post
        Good to know for those of us looking to buy a team or two.
        Wanna go halvesies with me? I'll cash in my change jar.

        Comment


        • #5
          Here is a link:
          https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeoza...h=35a2de55600a

          Amazing that only 1 team is worth less than 1 billion. Would have never seen that coming 30 years ago...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Nellie Fox View Post

            Wanna go halvesies with me? I'll cash in my change jar.
            Sounds good.

            I know some potentially excellent General Managers........

            Comment


            • #7
              Bunch of years ago I remember some Internet viral thing to buy an NFL team with crowd sourcing. IIRC, they actually got to about 3M in promised money, only about 500M short of what the team eventually sold for.
              Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...



              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Dumpjerry View Post

                Sounds good.

                I know some potentially excellent General Managers........
                Oh, hell, it's easy. Just give the best available player at every position whatever he asks for. Voila!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Nellie Fox View Post

                  Oh, hell, it's easy. Just give the best available player at every position whatever he asks for. Voila!
                  And trade the wet used leftover baseballs for the rest of the all star team!!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The Miami Marlins sold for $1.2 billion in 2017 so I have trouble believing that they are worth only $900 million now. These figures are likely under-valuing these teams.

                    Even just 15-20 years ago, a lotto winner could dream of buying an MLB franchise. Now you gotta win the PowerBall twice.
                    "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
                    -- Thucydides

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post
                      I saw the list on Twitter earlier today through Fox Sports. I don't know how to post a link under those circumstances, sorry.

                      I also saw something on Twitter from NBC Sports Chicago talking about the Cubs having the 5th highest value but nothing on the Sox who according to Forbes are 11th if I remember right.
                      So the Sox franchise is 11th in value.

                      They are presently 7th in payroll.

                      Seems like their payroll has them “punching above their weight.”

                      (It’s a fair question if that payroll could be spent differently/better.)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by HomeFish View Post
                        The Miami Marlins sold for $1.2 billion in 2017 so I have trouble believing that they are worth only $900 million now. These figures are likely under-valuing these teams.

                        Even just 15-20 years ago, a lotto winner could dream of buying an MLB franchise. Now you gotta win the PowerBall twice.
                        Official valuations never match what these teams sell for. There's always a premium on top due to the ego factor. Really rich people who can afford to buy these teams consider it a vanity purchase. It also feeds into their childhood dreams of being heavily involved with professional sports. If you can't be a hero on the field, be a hero by owning the team all the fans idolize.

                        Valuation is based on income, future projections, stadium deals, etc.
                        Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...



                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Nellie Fox View Post

                          Oh, hell, it's easy. Just give the best available player at every position whatever he asks for. Voila!
                          This is why I want you as my buisiness partner. You just saved us money on a GM salary!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Nellie Fox View Post

                            Oh, hell, it's easy. Just give the best available player at every position whatever he asks for. Voila!
                            I have no issues with that philosophy at all given the millions and millions the owners have been raking in for years.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post

                              I have no issues with that philosophy at all given the millions and millions the owners have been raking in for years.
                              The only problem is that you won't see the World Series if that is how you do it.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X