MLB rejects Tampa request...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB rejects Tampa request...

To play half of their "home" games in Montreal next season.

Not the best idea in the first place. The logistics of season tickets, post-season home games, etc. would have been a nightmare.

On MLB Radio yesterday, some were saying that Montreal and Nashville are the two top contenders for a move or expansion team.

One person pointed out some factors that indicate Montreal is not a viable location because the Blue Jays are considered "Canada's Team" and are owned by the owner of the largest cable television service company in Canada-that guy won't want the competition. They said the Blue Jays are broadcast on cable all over Canada, they said there are 35,000,000 million Blue Jay fans in the fanbase (the population of Canada).

I've pointed out in the past how Nashville makes too much sense to even look at other cities. It has the population, proven record of supporting pro teams and is very close geographically to many AL and NL cities by car or plane (Twin Cities, Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinatti, Pittsburgh, New York, Washington, Atlanta, St. Louis, Philly, Boston) for easy trips for fans of visiting teams to come in for a game or series. Nashville is a hub for American Airlines and Southwest.

Comment

Good move by MLB, a split city franchise would have been a disaster and I think the Rays ownership had to know that.
      What happens now is that Tampa builds the Rays a new stadium somewhere near Amalie Arena or Ybor City or they move to another city when their Tropicana Field lease is up in 2027.
      Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 01-21-2022, 03:44 PM.
      Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumpjerry View Post
        On MLB Radio yesterday, some were saying that Montreal and Nashville are the two top contenders for a move or expansion team.

One person pointed out some factors that indicate Montreal is not a viable location because the Blue Jays are considered "Canada's Team" and are owned by the owner of the largest cable television service company in Canada-that guy won't want the competition. They said the Blue Jays are broadcast on cable all over Canada, they said there are 35,000,000 million Blue Jay fans in the fanbase (the population of Canada).

I've pointed out in the past how Nashville makes too much sense to even look at other cities. It has the population, proven record of supporting pro teams and is very close geographically to many AL and NL cities by car or plane (Twin Cities, Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinatti, Pittsburgh, New York, Washington, Atlanta, St. Louis, Philly, Boston) for easy trips for fans of visiting teams to come in for a game or series. Nashville is a hub for American Airlines and Southwest.
        I don't think the Jays have any better argument for keeping a team out of Montreal than the Orioles did for keeping a team out of Washington, especially considering the two cities are over 300 miles apart. Claiming the entire country cheers for your team might be the height of hubris.

Would be interesting to see if baseball does expand to 32 how the divisions would line up. Would think that each league would go to 4 4-team divisions.

I want my $2

I wasn't in the last can. I was in the first can. You started at the wrong end. - Tosh

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there. - GH 1943-2001

Comment

Originally posted by Zakath View Post

I don't think the Jays have any better argument for keeping a team out of Montreal than the Orioles did for keeping a team out of Washington, especially considering the two cities are over 300 miles apart. Claiming the entire country cheers for your team might be the height of hubris.

Would be interesting to see if baseball does expand to 32 how the divisions would line up. Would think that each league would go to 4 4-team divisions.
          The Jays are owned by the guy who has the power over the Montreal's team ability to be on television. This is how the Expos got killed off. In the end, they were only on one French speaking radio station and no television. Why would the owner of the Jays, while making money from a television contract with Montreal, want to lose market share for the Jays in their non-television revenue streams?

Comment

Not the best idea in the first place. The logistics of season tickets, post-season home games, etc. would have been a nightmare.

In the US, Cable TV subscriptions are falling fast and the RSN model is quickly becoming outdated. Is the situation different in Canada?

White Sox Division Titles: 1983, 1993, 2000, 2005, 2008, 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Hitmen77 View Post

In the US, Cable TV subscriptions are falling fast and the RSN model is quickly becoming outdated. Is the situation different in Canada?
              It appears the RSNs in Canada are owned by Rogers, the Blue Jays' company,

Regional sports network | Sportscasting Wiki | Fandom

Comment

The Jays are owned by the guy who has the power over the Montreal's team ability to be on television. This is how the Expos got killed off. In the end, they were only on one French speaking radio station and no television. Why would the owner of the Jays, while making money from a television contract with Montreal, want to lose market share for the Jays in their non-television revenue streams?
                There were several things that wound up killing the Expos and as I recall part of it was Loria wanted some crazy deals for their TV and radio contracts and in the end wound up broadcasting the games in French. I'm not sure how exactly the territorial rights would work in Canada, though MLB probably could step in and intervene.

Also, Bell Media, which owns an interest in the Canadiens and Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment (and the national CTV Network) is based in Quebec and could serve as the media home of the Expos.

The Blue Jays also played a couple of spring training games in Montreal and those were hosted by a group that were trying to bring MLB back to Montreal, so I'm not totally sure the Blue Jays are dead-set against a return to Montreal.

Comment

Working...
                X