X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lipman 1
    Major Leagues
    • Dec 2020

The "Double-Hook" Rule...

Is apparently being considered by MLB along with a universal DH for next season (all collectively bargained of course...)

"Now, with the current Collective Bargaining Agreement expiring on Dec. 1, there is rampant speculation that the universal DH rule will be negotiated again for 2022 and beyond. Or perhaps a compromise would be reached with the so-called “double-hook rule,” which would force a team to forfeit its DH once the starting pitcher leaves the game, thus emphasizing the importance of length from starters. MLB experimented with the double-hook in the independent Atlantic League this year.

I've seen this talked about at other sites. Initial impression is I like the idea. Maybe that will slow down managers yanking guys after four innings.
  • Frater Perdurabo
    Major Leagues
    • Apr 2020

I don’t like this.

I would rather see the DH be treated as an actual “position” into which players can rotate within a game, just like they can change defensive positions. So, for instance, at the end of the game, Eloy could move from LF to DH rather than take his bat out of the lineup entirely.

Comment

• Frater Perdurabo
      Major Leagues
      • Apr 2020

That said, I do like having the DH in both leagues starting in 2022. Most immediately, it will raise demand for bat-first sluggers, meaning our plethora of RH bat-first sluggers will have more trade value this offseason.

Comment

• notjimrose
        Triple A
        • Apr 2020

Originally posted by Lipman 1
        Is apparently being considered by MLB along with a universal DH for next season (all collectively bargained of course...)

"Now, with the current Collective Bargaining Agreement expiring on Dec. 1, there is rampant speculation that the universal DH rule will be negotiated again for 2022 and beyond. Or perhaps a compromise would be reached with the so-called “double-hook rule,” which would force a team to forfeit its DH once the starting pitcher leaves the game, thus emphasizing the importance of length from starters. MLB experimented with the double-hook in the independent Atlantic League this year.

Maybe that will slow down managers yanking guys after four innings.
        A great way to speed up the game will be having pitchers getting their brains bashed in kept in the game because the DH is due up the next half inning.

This is a solution in search of a problem

Comment

• voodoochile
          Admin
          • Apr 2020

Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
          That said, I do like having the DH in both leagues starting in 2022. Most immediately, it will raise demand for bat-first sluggers, meaning our plethora of RH bat-first sluggers will have more trade value this offseason.
          Not if they double hook it. No one is going to spend a bunch of money for a DH that might only get 1 AB. I don't think the PA will like this because it will depress salaries for DH only bats, which traditionally has been a well paid position.

I'm not a fan of the rule either. Forcing managers to think about whether to yank the starter because they want their DH in the game seems like a bad idea.
          Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

• HomeFish
            Major Leagues
            • Apr 2020

No, just no. This is an AL forum, we don't have to pretend that 2-out rallies ending automatically when the #9 spot in the order is up to bat "adds strategy" to the game or whatever.

DH in both leagues, add one more roster spot to make agents of relief pitchers happy, done. Dodgers and Cardinals fans didn't stop following the teams when their pitchers stopped batting in 2020, they won't stop following their teams when it becomes permanent.
            "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
            -- Thucydides

Comment

• Frater Perdurabo
              Major Leagues
              • Apr 2020

Originally posted by voodoochile
              Not if they double hook it. No one is going to spend a bunch of money for a DH that might only get 1 AB.
              I agree, which is why I like the universal DH but NOT the double hook.

Comment

• thomas35forever
                Major Leagues
                • Apr 2020

I don't see it happening. The DH is too ingrained in baseball culture to have this happen to it.

Comment

• Dumpjerry
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2020

What if the Starter gets injured and has to leave the game?

Comment

• LITTLE NELL
                    Major Leagues
                    • Apr 2020

No way especially in this day and age where you have starting pitchers going 5 innings.
                    Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

Comment

• LITTLE NELL
                      Major Leagues
                      • Apr 2020

Originally posted by Dumpjerry
                      Excellent point.

I'm all for the DH in both leagues, long overdue. The game needs to have the same rules for both leagues.

That brings up something else that's been on my mind for awhile. There is no longer any need for 2 leagues, MLB should go the way of the other Pro organizations and have conferences, there are no longer any league presidents or league umpires and the MLB commissioner now controls just about every facet of the game including the rules. "League" has become a misnomer.
                      Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 11-11-2021, 12:24 PM.
                      Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

Comment

• davenicholson
                        Double A
                        • Nov 2020

Originally posted by Dumpjerry
                        If the rule does become a reality, I can see MLB teams taking their respective pitching staffs to watch international soccer matches in order to perfect fake-injury acting lessons.

Comment

• voodoochile
                          Admin
                          • Apr 2020

Originally posted by davenicholson

If the rule does become a reality, I can see MLB teams taking their respective pitching staffs to watch international soccer matches in order to perfect fake-injury acting lessons.
                          In theory this was a possibility already due to the three batter rule. I can't recall any pitchers faking injury to get out of a tough matchup.
                          Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

• Dumpjerry
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2020

Originally posted by davenicholson

Nope. The NFL has rules about this type of behavior, and I believe i've heard that MLB does as well with heavy sanctions to any team that deos this.

Comment

• Nellie Fox
                              Super Moderator
                              • Apr 2020

This sounds like one of those things that one side in negotiations puts on the table to have something to give away as negotiations progress. The union will obviously oppose this because it lowers the value of the DH.
                              Nellie had more doubles than strikeouts every year from 1950 to 1963, and more triples (12) than strikeouts (11) in 1951 (682 plate appearances.)

Comment

Working...