Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pete Rose hijack thread

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pete Rose hijack thread

    Rose should have been charged with assault. Fosse was so good, and that chronic injury robbed him of his prime offensively, even as he remained one of the all-time great receivers. That he lived the rest of his life in such a humble and admirable way was a shining example of rising above what life throws at you.
    Last edited by KenBerryGrab; 10-14-2021, 11:59 AM.

  • #2
    Originally posted by KenBerryGrab View Post
    Rose should have been charged with assault. Fosse was so good, and that chronic injury robbed him of his prime offensively, even as he remained one of the all-time great receivers. That he lived the rest of his life in such a humble and admirable way was a shining example of rising above what life throws at you.
    I don't blame Rose for that hit. That was the way the game was played back then. If you blocked the plate without the ball, you got hit. Its still a rule but players do not do it anymore. Rose played all out all of the time. I doubt that he was trying to end Fosse's career or anything like that. Like him or hate him, that's the way the game was played and Rose played everything to win. Even an all-star game.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Paulwny View Post

      Even back then the ASG wasn't important to the players. I remember reading that Berra, Ford and Mantle, after they were removed from the game, were seen sipping drinks and watching the last few innings in the air port lounge.
      The game is actually more important to the fans.
      I doubt that. I have no doubt that they drank in a lounge somewhere because they partied a lot on that team. Bouton's book chronicled that pretty well. Mantle and Ford in particular were drunk a lot as was Billy Martin. Thing is that Rose always played balls out. I played poker and golf with a guy who played on the Red's minor league team with Rose. He said that Rose begged coaches or other players to come in early and hit hard ground balls to him because he was a lousy infielder defensively. He pretty much invented the notion of fielding a lot of hard shots off of his chest to keep the ball in front of him and throw the guy out that way. Rose was also strong as an ox. My friend, Dave, also said that Rose was a terrific basketball player when they played pick up games back then.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Bird Of Prey View Post

        I doubt that. I have no doubt that they drank in a lounge somewhere because they partied a lot on that team. Bouton's book chronicled that pretty well. Mantle and Ford in particular were drunk a lot as was Billy Martin. Thing is that Rose always played balls out. I played poker and golf with a guy who played on the Red's minor league team with Rose. He said that Rose begged coaches or other players to come in early and hit hard ground balls to him because he was a lousy infielder defensively. He pretty much invented the notion of fielding a lot of hard shots off of his chest to keep the ball in front of him and throw the guy out that way. Rose was also strong as an ox. My friend, Dave, also said that Rose was a terrific basketball player when they played pick up games back then.
        And? What does any of that have to do with what he did to Fosse?
        Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...



        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by voodoochile View Post

          And? What does any of that have to do with what he did to Fosse?
          I was answering another posters point about Mantle, Ford, and Berra supposedly leaving the All Star game to get drunk. Why do you always question whatever I bring up anyway? I told a story about Pete Rose who you think is a dirt bag basically. I admire the **** out of the guy as a player and one of the greatest hitters of all time. So I tell about a guy that played with Pete Rose in the minor leagues to add a little to the conversation. What is wrong now with what the heck I said?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Bird Of Prey View Post

            I was answering another posters point about Mantle, Ford, and Berra supposedly leaving the All Star game to get drunk. Why do you always question whatever I bring up anyway? I told a story about Pete Rose who you think is a dirt bag basically. I admire the **** out of the guy as a player and one of the greatest hitters of all time. So I tell about a guy that played with Pete Rose in the minor leagues to add a little to the conversation. What is wrong now with what the heck I said?
            I was replying about the rest of the post regarding what a great guy and hard worker Rose was.
            Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...



            Comment


            • #7
              You can bet that Pete Rose was one of the most popular inmates at Marion (IL) Federal Penitentiary during the time he spent there as a guest.

              2021 Sox Attendance Tracker: 13-6
              All-time Sox Attendance Tracker: 300-253
              Posts on old WSI: 7344

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by voodoochile View Post

                I was replying about the rest of the post regarding what a great guy and hard worker Rose was.
                First of all, I never said that Pete Rose was a "great guy". I told a story about a guy who actually played with him and of how hard he worked. Pete Rose was an ******* in a lot of respects. I had a friend who lived in Cincy and bowled in a bowling alley that Pete Rose frequented. He told me that Pete would call the bowling alley and have himself paged as the egotist that he was/is. But there were a helluva lot of athletes past and present that acted the same way and worse. . But at the same time he was one of the greatest baseball players I have ever seen and he worked his ass off to be one. And he certainly belongs in the HOF

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Bird Of Prey View Post

                  First of all, I never said that Pete Rose was a "great guy". I told a story about a guy who actually played with him and of how hard he worked. Pete Rose was an ******* in a lot of respects. I had a friend who lived in Cincy and bowled in a bowling alley that Pete Rose frequented. He told me that Pete would call the bowling alley and have himself paged as the egotist that he was/is. But there were a helluva lot of athletes past and present that acted the same way and worse. . But at the same time he was one of the greatest baseball players I have ever seen and he worked his ass off to be one. And he certainly belongs in the HOF
                  Thanks for clarifying.

                  we disagree. People who bet on the baseball games they played in should never be admitted to the HOF.

                  Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...



                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by voodoochile View Post

                    Thanks for clarifying.

                    we disagree. People who bet on the baseball games they played in should never be admitted to the HOF.
                    His life time suspension was a plain and simple witch hunt by the Commish at the time. The farce of it all is that he was never proven to have tanked a game in order to win a bet. He always bet on his team to win. And just in these play-off games we have many players, coaches, managers, and GMs still employed who did far worse than Rose ever did and the great majority of them were not even suspended for one game. The hypocrisy of Major League baseball and all sports in general is really great and greatly ****ed up. The owners and management and the leagues themselves allowed massive amounts of steroids and HGH, etc. to permeate the game, knew about it and actually embraced the poison that it was. Yet a guy bets on his own team to win and he gets a lifetime ban? Bull****.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Bird Of Prey View Post

                      His life time suspension was a plain and simple witch hunt by the Commish at the time. The farce of it all is that he was never proven to have tanked a game in order to win a bet. He always bet on his team to win. And just in these play-off games we have many players, coaches, managers, and GMs still employed who did far worse than Rose ever did and the great majority of them were not even suspended for one game. The hypocrisy of Major League baseball and all sports in general is really great and greatly ****ed up. The owners and management and the leagues themselves allowed massive amounts of steroids and HGH, etc. to permeate the game, knew about it and actually embraced the poison that it was. Yet a guy bets on his own team to win and he gets a lifetime ban? Bull****.
                      But how many games did he tank that he didn't bet on in order to save his best pitchers for the games he did bet on? Pete Rose knew what he was doing was wrong, knew the consequences, and went ahead and did it anyway. He agreed to his lifetime banishment as a ploy to stop the commissioner's office from continuing their investigation and his story of what he did seems to get worse as time goes on and he has a new book or Vegas signing to shill. First, he never bet on baseball. Then, he bet on baseball, but never on the Reds. Then, he bet on the Reds, but only to win. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we eventually learn that he did bet on the Reds to lose and made managerial decisions to cause it to happen.

                      His records and on-field accomplishments are acknowledged in Cooperstown. I see no issue with him not getting the honor of personal enshrinement.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        STOP HIJACKING!!!!!!

                        If you want to talk about something unrelated to the topic of a thread, start a new thread. It is free, it is easy.

                        The Fosse thread was about showing respect to the man who passed away, not whether or not Pete Rose was a likeable guy.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Chez View Post
                          You can bet that Pete Rose was one of the most popular inmates at Marion (IL) Federal Penitentiary during the time he spent there as a guest.
                          Ray Fosse's hometown, by the way.

                          White Sox Division Titles: 1983, 1993, 2000, 2005, 2008, 2021

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Rose was trying to win the game, Fosse was blocking the plate. It was a clean hit in my opinion, unfortunate but clean. It was within the rules at the time so I have no problem with the play.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by notjimrose View Post

                              But how many games did he tank that he didn't bet on in order to save his best pitchers for the games he did bet on? Pete Rose knew what he was doing was wrong, knew the consequences, and went ahead and did it anyway. He agreed to his lifetime banishment as a ploy to stop the commissioner's office from continuing their investigation and his story of what he did seems to get worse as time goes on and he has a new book or Vegas signing to shill. First, he never bet on baseball. Then, he bet on baseball, but never on the Reds. Then, he bet on the Reds, but only to win. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we eventually learn that he did bet on the Reds to lose and made managerial decisions to cause it to happen.

                              His records and on-field accomplishments are acknowledged in Cooperstown. I see no issue with him not getting the honor of personal enshrinement.
                              Do you or anyone have any PROOF that he tanked baseball game to win a bet? The answer is NO. that was a lame argument made to try and justify his lifetime ban. This speculation on your part that he must have bet on his team to lose is just pure made up suspicion. There was a big investigation and there was no proof whatsoever found that he did that.

                              As for changing his story, wowie, that is so damned unusual, huh? Cop stops you on the highway. He says that you were clocked at 95 mph. You say, bull****, you were going 65. That doesn't happen, right? I found professional sports to be so damned hypocritical when it comes to gambling, Right now every time I turn on a sports game, they are advertising a massive gambling site sponsoring the games. Its so much damned crap about the oh so holy owners and commissioners it makes me want to puke.

                              I don't know Pete Rose and neither do any of us. I said that he was a great player and worked very hard to become one of the very elite of all time. And I would find it very very strange if he would bet on any team he was associated with to lose when he tried his entire career to WIN. I don't think that that was in his DNA.

                              BTW. There is irrefutable proof that major league baseball players CHEATED to win baseball game as well as coaches, managers, and General managers with probable knowledge also of the team presidents. But...... were any of these people other than one manager, a couple coaches, and one GM given any suspensions at all? Oh NO. Why weren't those cheating players suspended for LIFE like Rose was. THEY CHEATED. They cheated in games where there was BETTING INVOLVED. What if those players influenced getting wins which had money laid on them because some knew that they were cheating like they did?

                              So, once again. Why are these players still receiving huge paychecks and still playing, coaching, and managing? But baseball wants to play like it gives a **** about the so-called "INTEGRITY" of the game. What a bunch of ****ing lying horse****.
                              Last edited by Bird Of Prey; 10-15-2021, 11:09 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X