Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tampa/Montreal Rays?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tampa/Montreal Rays?

    During the playoffs, there will be a sign in RF at Tropicana letting people know that the Rays will likely be splitting time between Tampa and Montreal soon. April-June in Tampa, returning in Sept-end of season with Montreal in between.

    Long drive for season ticket holders, if you ask me.

  • #2
    Will the team be renamed to the Ex-Rays?
    “It's not the high price of stardom that bothers me...it's the high price of mediocrity." - Bill Veeck

    "If I was going to storm a pillbox, going to sheer, utter, certain death, and the Colonel said 'Shepherd, pick six guys", I'd pick six White Sox fans because they have known death every day of their lives and it holds no terror for them." - Jean Shepherd

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Dumpjerry View Post
      During the playoffs, there will be a sign in RF at Tropicana letting people know that the Rays will likely be splitting time between Tampa and Montreal soon. April-June in Tampa, returning in Sept-end of season with Montreal in between.

      Long drive for season ticket holders, if you ask me.
      I don't see any way this works, but it does suggest moving to Montreal full time is on the table if they can't get the stadium deal that want in Tampa once their lease expires in 2027. Having two Canadian teams in the same division would make for interesting rivalries.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by notjimrose View Post

        I don't see any way this works, but it does suggest moving to Montreal full time is on the table if they can't get the stadium deal that want in Tampa once their lease expires in 2027. Having two Canadian teams in the same division would make for interesting rivalries.
        This harkens back to when the Sox played a handful of games in Milwaukee after the Braves left for Atlanta to see if the Sox could move there. The Seattle Pilots eventually did the move to become the Brewers instead.

        Comment


        • #5
          Bold opening move for TB stadium deal negotiations.
          "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
          -- Thucydides

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Dumpjerry View Post
            During the playoffs, there will be a sign in RF at Tropicana letting people know that the Rays will likely be splitting time between Tampa and Montreal soon. April-June in Tampa, returning in Sept-end of season with Montreal in between.

            Long drive for season ticket holders, if you ask me.
            St. Pete's contract with the Rays from what I read states that all Rays home games will be played at Tropicana Field, the contract is through the 2027 season, after that the Rays can move anywhere they want.
            This is another strong arm job to get a city to spend a billion dollars for new ballpark.
            No doubt that the Rays need a new park in a better location, somewhere in the Channelside district near Amalie Arena would be ideal.
            Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 09-27-2021, 06:55 PM.
            Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Dumpjerry View Post
              Long drive for season ticket holders, if you ask me.
              All 150 of them?

              I want my $2

              I wasn't in the last can. I was in the first can. You started at the wrong end. - Tosh

              If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there. - GH 1943-2001

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Zakath View Post

                All 150 of them?
                Actually the Rays drew very well in September with 4 sellouts and some near sellouts, of course the Trop's official capacity is only 25,000 as they don't sell seats in the upper deck in the regular season. For the playoffs they will open up 5,000 seats in UD, maybe more if they make it to the World Series.
                Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 09-29-2021, 07:43 AM.
                Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

                Comment


                • #9
                  So I'm a visiting team flying to Toronto or Montreal and the government of Canada says that I can't travel from the US because of Covid or some other issue. Think that would be an issue?

                  Oops. I guess I violated a board rule which says something about not being able to discuss Canada, Covid or something. Amazing
                  Last edited by Bird Of Prey; 09-28-2021, 06:29 PM. Reason: I'm doing this because I am used to free exchange of thoughts and ideas and never thought that there would be censorship of this kind about not talking about a country and its policies which can and

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Bird Of Prey View Post
                    So I'm a visiting team flying to Toronto or Montreal and the government of Canada says that I can't travel from the US because of Covid or some other issue. Think that would be an issue?
                    By next spring this is likely not to be an issue. Cases are expected to decline steadily between now and March at which point we should be seeing less than 2K cases a week nationwide.
                    Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...



                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Bird Of Prey View Post
                      So I'm a visiting team flying to Toronto or Montreal and the government of Canada says that I can't travel from the US because of Covid or some other issue. Think that would be an issue?

                      Oops. I guess I violated a board rule which says something about not being able to discuss Canada, Covid or something. Amazing
                      Travel to/from Canada is allowed. That is why the Jays have been able to finally return to playing in Toronto.

                      Not sure what "Some other issue" would be other than a warrant from Interpol. Can't speak to that.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The sign is now off the table. Probably a very good idea:

                        https://www.mlb.com/news/stuart-ster...city-sign-plan

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post
                          The sign is now off the table. Probably a very good idea:

                          https://www.mlb.com/news/stuart-ster...city-sign-plan
                          Part of the problem with the Rays attendance is ownership, they are a real couple of jerks and not well liked. Even the thought of putting that sign up had to be the dumbest idea since Eddie Einhorn's Sportsvision flop. It would be great for the TB area if somehow Lightning owner Jeff Vinik was able to buy the Rays, there's a guy who knows how to run a sports franchise and is loved by Lightning fans.
                          Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 09-29-2021, 07:24 AM.
                          Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by LITTLE NELL View Post

                            Part of the problem with the Rays attendance is ownership, they are a real couple of jerks and not well liked. Even the thought of putting that sign up had to be the dumbest idea since Eddie Einhorn's Sportsvision flop. It would be great for the TB area it somehow Lightning owner Jeff Vinik was able to buy the Rays, there's a guy who knows how to run a sports franchise.
                            Looking at the Rays' on-field results at all levels this year, it's hard to argue the current owners don't know how to run a franchise.

                            MLB: Best record in AL
                            AAA: Best record + Champs
                            AA: Lost by 1 in deciding game of championship.
                            High A: Best Record + Champs
                            Low A: Best Record + Champs
                            Complex: Best Record + Champs

                            Source: https://twitter.com/jjcoop36/status/1443044782402686976

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by notjimrose View Post

                              Looking at the Rays' on-field results at all levels this year, it's hard to argue the current owners don't know how to run a franchise.

                              MLB: Best record in AL
                              AAA: Best record + Champs
                              AA: Lost by 1 in deciding game of championship.
                              High A: Best Record + Champs
                              Low A: Best Record + Champs
                              Complex: Best Record + Champs

                              Source: https://twitter.com/jjcoop36/status/1443044782402686976
                              That part they're good at and to tell you the truth I don't know how they do it on their budget but they're still not liked. The Rays are fun to watch especially this year and just might go all the way and win the World Series.
                              Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 09-29-2021, 07:41 AM.
                              Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X