Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

100th anniversary of first radio broadcast of a Baseball game (Aug 5)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100th anniversary of first radio broadcast of a Baseball game (Aug 5)

During the pregame show on ESPN 1000 yesterday (Aug 5th), they did a piece on how it was the 100th anniversary of the first ballgame broadcast on a radio. It was a Pirates/Phillies game on shortwave. The listeners were not necessarily Baseball fans, but people with shortwave receivers.

Nobody took the broadcast seriously as something that would become commonplace. It was considered a one-off experiment.

I know the first commercial broadcast of a MLB game was also involving the Pirates and radio station KDKA in Pittsburgh although I don't remember what year it was.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post
      I know the first commercial broadcast of a MLB game was also involving the Pirates and radio station KDKA in Pittsburgh although I don't remember what year it was.
      Got me a little curious so I did a little digging. August 5th 1921 was the date of the 1st commercially broadcast game. It was a game between the Pirates and Phillies at Forbes Field. The Pirates won the game 8-5. Harold Arlin was the announcer. Information source is here.

Comment

Working...
      X