A's relocating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitmen77 View Post

IF the A's were to move, I would think MLB would want to keep them in the western U.S. Moving them to Nashville would create geographical problems in the AL West and would require more realignment.

That would be my guess. Oakland has already lost the Raiders and Warriors (to San Francisco), it would be a huge blow for them to lose 3 major sports franchises in such a short amount of time.

I'm old enough to remember when people were talking about the A's moving to Denver as being nearly a done deal in the late 70s.
    They nearly moved to Chicago as well. When the Sox were headed to Seattle in 1975, the A’s were rumored to be moving to Comiskey Park to replace them. Their lease with Oakland ran through 1987, so I am sure that city would have fought to keep them, so who knows what would have happened.

Dave Condon of the Tribune was all for this move, practically leading cheers for it in his column. Rick Talley also seemed to think it was a fine idea, at one point sneering that he couldn’t understand the mentality of Sox fans who didn’t want to trade their team for “champions with mustaches.”

Comment

If the A's move (I doubt it) here are the top five possibilities:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/o...nd-if-as-move/

Comment

Originally posted by LITTLE NELL View Post

I follow the Rays closely and their hasn't been much talk larely about the Rays playing some games in Montreal.
        I think the pandemic put those plans on hold, though it looks like in March the Rays owner was still talking up the possibility of using Montreal as a second home: https://www.draysbay.com/2021/3/26/2...-stadium-plans

Comment

Montreal would support an American League team. With 38 games against Toronto and Boston annually (and build off the hockey rivalries), they'd print money.

Montreal didn't lose the Expos. Jeffrey Loria and Bud Selig killed that franchise so they could move it.

Jeffrey Loria was the worst owner in baseball in the last 50 years. That man single-handedly destroyed two franchises (remember he ran the Marlins into the ground too) and his punishment was to be made a billionaire.
          “It's not the high price of stardom that bothers me...it's the high price of mediocrity." - Bill Veeck

"If I was going to storm a pillbox, going to sheer, utter, certain death, and the Colonel said 'Shepherd, pick six guys", I'd pick six White Sox fans because they have known death every day of their lives and it holds no terror for them." - Jean Shepherd

Comment

Originally posted by PaleHoser View Post
            Montreal would support an American League team. With 38 games against Toronto and Boston annually (and build off the hockey rivalries), they'd print money.

Montreal didn't lose the Expos. Jeffrey Loria and Bud Selig killed that franchise so they could move it.

Jeffrey Loria was the worst owner in baseball in the last 50 years. That man single-handedly destroyed two franchises (remember he ran the Marlins into the ground too) and his punishment was to be made a billionaire.
            This.
            (Formerly asindc.)

"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." — George Orwell

Comment

I’ll throw Vegas into the mix. Wouldn’t surprise me at all and had some roots too.

Comment

Originally posted by 34rancher View Post
                I’ll throw Vegas into the mix. Wouldn’t surprise me at all and had some roots too.
                That'd be interesting, since Oakland just lost the Raiders to Vegas.

Comment

Working...
                X