Toons No More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toons No More

The Cleveland American League ballclub will be getting a new name soon.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ntial-new-name

The Cleveland Spiders would be a good fit and a nice nod to history.

2020 Sox Attendance Tracker: 0-0
    All-time Sox Attendance Tracker: 286-247
    Posts on old WSI: 7344

Comment

I think they should be the Cleveland Tribe.

Comment

Since the story is that they were named the Indians in honor of Native American player Louis Sockalexis, maybe they should become the Socks.

Comment

Originally posted by Nellie Fox View Post
          Since the story is that they were named the Indians in honor of Native American player Louis Sockalexis, maybe they should become the Socks.:
          The Blue Socks. Symmetry.

Four Sox Gold Gloves in 1960.
          One position player Gold Glove in the last 21 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Chez View Post
            The Cleveland Spiders would be a good fit and a nice nod to history.
            Not really. The Cleveland Spiders' claim to baseball fame is producing the worst one season record in history at 20-134. That's not a legacy to which they should aspire, considering the Indians' own history of losing from 1960-93, and Cleveland being the butt of "Mistake by the Lake" jokes.

Also, I don't believe that they were named after Lou Sockalexis. He played with the Spiders for three years in the 1890s and was gone and forgotten by the time the Indians changed their name from the Naps in 1915. "Indians" was chosen in a fan contest. One writer once argued that the name was probably more inspired by the Boston Braves, who had won the 1914 World Series after being in last place on July 4th. I think that's much closer to the truth than the Lou Sockalexis tall tale.

Comment

“The Cleveland Show”?

Comment

In honor of the Cuyahoga River: the Cleveland Fire.

Comment

Working...
                X