Umpire Scorecards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Umpire Scorecards

This is an interesting new series that uses pitch tracking data to grade how accurate the home plate umpire was during every game, and then quantifying the effect it has on the score. For example, in Sunday's Sox game, they had the rookie umpire giving over 2 runs in favor of the Angels: https://twitter.com/UmpScorecards/st...404938756?s=20

https://twitter.com/UmpScorecards

So far I've noticed the umpiring has been consistently against the Sox. It'll be interesting to see if the script flips when they return home.

Nobody talked about that in the Angels threads. There were multiple times that the Sox pitcher had an Angel struck out, but the ****ty umpiring gave the batter another chance. People harp on player execution, but when the pitcher executes and is not rewarded, all that is forgotten.

Electronic strike zone can't get to the major leagues fast enough.

Comment

Originally posted by FielderJones View Post
      Nobody talked about that in the Angels threads. There were multiple times that the Sox pitcher had an Angel struck out, but the ****ty umpiring gave the batter another chance. People harp on player execution, but when the pitcher executes and is not rewarded, all that is forgotten.

I'm looking forward to electronic strike zones, but teams will completely overhaul how they look at the catching position if/when they come. Framing won't matter at all, so there'll be more emphasis on blocking and arm strength, which will help a guy like James McCann and might hurt a guy like Grandal.

Comment

Here's the breakdown from last night's game, which was 0.83 runs in favor of SEA: https://twitter.com/UmpScorecards/st...804567041?s=20

The low consistency rating in this score matches what Stone/Benetti were talking about during the game.

Comment

This thread is going to make Hawk join WSI......
          Hawk Harrelson furious after Quintana ejection. - YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
            Here's the breakdown from last night's game, which was 0.83 runs in favor of SEA: https://twitter.com/UmpScorecards/st...804567041?s=20

The low consistency rating in this score matches what Stone/Benetti were talking about during the game.
            Can you find one for Monday? I thought that was a very well called game and want to know if my perception was correct.

Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

Originally posted by voodoochile View Post

Can you find one for Monday? I thought that was a very well called game and want to know if my perception was correct.
              It appears your perception is correct. https://twitter.com/UmpScorecards/st...336542223?s=20

They have them for every game, though I haven't found a good way to find the White Sox games other than scrolling through them.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post

It appears your perception is correct. https://twitter.com/UmpScorecards/st...336542223?s=20

They have them for every game, though I haven't found a good way to find the White Sox games other than scrolling through them.
                They appear to use hashtags formatted #teamvsteam with both teams in both positions using the official MLB abbreviations. Might help

Comment

They appear to use hashtags formatted #teamvsteam with both teams in both positions using the official MLB abbreviations. Might help
                  Yeah I just tested it and searching twitter for this @umpscorecards #cwsvslaa left me with 4 posts from the recent series

Comment

Yeah I just tested it and searching twitter for this @umpscorecards #cwsvslaa left me with 4 posts from the recent series
                    Thanks, that’s helpful

Comment

Originally posted by FielderJones View Post

I can't speak on the Ohtani game, but the game Collins caught it was apparent that Lynn wasn't getting corners because of the way he was catching balls on the outside corner. Instead of setting up outside, he sets up outside over the plate, brings his arm across and outside to catch, and then tries to frame it back towards the plate. To the ump, it looks like you're trying to get an outside pitch called a strike. He didn't do this as much with Giolito yesterday from what I saw, so maybe he's correcting it. Don't have the frame statistics yet from that game, but in the Lynn start he put up a league worst -3 runs in just that game for framing, taking the lead from guys that play every day (it's a counting stat).

Comment

Originally posted by whitesox5187 View Post
                        Framing won't matter at all
                        Good. The catcher jerking the ball back into the strike zone plays too big of a role. I'd love to see "pitch framing" removed as a variable, along with umpires having their own strike zones (that don't correlate to the rule-book strike zone).

Comment

Originally posted by Nellie Fox View Post
                          Good. The catcher jerking the ball back into the strike zone plays too big of a role. I'd love to see "pitch framing" removed as a variable, along with umpires having their own strike zones (that don't correlate to the rule-book strike zone).
                          Sounds like you want a robo ump calling the strike zone. Welcome to the party!

Comment

Originally posted by blurry View Post

Sounds like you want a robo ump calling the strike zone. Welcome to the party!
                            Yeah, I've felt that way for some time now. The technology is good enough now, and I'm tired of horrible calls and "pitch framing."

Comment

I'm all for robo umps. But only of there are actual robots out there. Avoid the uncanny valley and Terminator vibes. Maybe, like, Johnny Five with an oversized backward umps hat by the back screen signaling balls and strikes.

Comment

Working...
                              X