Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by blurry View Post
    https://sports.yahoo.com/pete-alonso...kqmgoJ74LCXiJM

If there’s any truth to his claims, that’s collusion. Then again I’m fully convinced owners have colluded to suppress salaries for mid market players for years anyway.
    Like I've been saying when negotiations start things are going to get ugly and jeopardize the 2022 season.

Comment

If there’s any truth to his claims, that’s collusion. Then again I’m fully convinced owners have colluded to suppress salaries for mid market players for years anyway.
      Mr. Alonso needs to learn the difference between "fact" and "opinion." "Guys have been talking about it" doesn't transform an opinion into fact.

2021 Sox Attendance Tracker: 7-2
      All-time Sox Attendance Tracker: 294-249
      Posts on old WSI: 7344

Comment

• Brewers took care of the Reds this afternoon back in first in the division.

Comment

More proof that Baseball players have too much free time on their hands:
          Will Middlebrooks adds $395M wrinkle to Pete Alonso theory (nypost.com)

Comment

• Sports Illustrated is saying MLB umpires are going to start checking pitchers for foreign substances after innings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post
              Sports Illustrated is saying MLB umpires are going to start checking pitchers for foreign substances after innings.
              Then it comes a matter of how well pitchers can hide it. Still, it's a better alternative to having umpires search pitchers on the mound at the behest of the opposing manager or after looking at a baseball at the hitter's request. When Phil Regan was pitching for the Cubs and suspected of chicanery, the rumor was that he and other pitchers using illegal substances were having them applied by the catchier. I saw a Durocher-managed Cubs game where Randy Hundley was ejected because he refused to surrender the baseball when the umpire asked to see it. Today he would be suspended, but in retrospect, he might have had something left in the tank in September if he had been given a few days off.

It will be interesting to see if pitchers and which pitchers get less movement if pitchers are inspected after innings. The extra time it takes to keep the game clean could inspire the commissioner to lop off a couple of innings of single games, but baseball would consider that a small price.

Comment

• deGrom has more RBI batting (5) than ER (4) given up this season which is crazy. And today he went out early with tendinitis. I hate to see a player on this sort of ridiculous pace get injured :/

Who had comparable seasons up to this point? I think maybe 2000 Pedro Martinez and 1968 Bob Gibson??

Comment

• Originally posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
                  2 innings into the season, and Josh Donaldson has been removed from the game with a hamstring injury

https://twitter.com/cjzer0/status/13...066217984?s=20
                  Some things never change. 🤣

Comment

Like I've been saying when negotiations start things are going to get ugly and jeopardize the 2022 season.
                    If there is a 2022 season. Don't know about you,Lip,but I see a strike in the future.After 1994, that's the last thing baseball can afford.

Comment

• Originally posted by soxsince'70 View Post

If there is a 2022 season. Don't know about you,Lip,but I see a strike in the future.After 1994, that's the last thing baseball can afford.
                      I predict they will go to mediation pretty quickly after the World Series. If that does not work after 10 days, I can see them agreeing to Arbitration with each side (players, owners, MLB) each picking an Arbitrator. There is just too much money to be lost by all sides if there is no Baseball next season and they all know that. Last season was the realtity check.

I just don't see them being able to work out an agreement without outside guidance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dumpjerry View Post
                        I predict they will go to mediation pretty quickly after the World Series. If that does not work after 10 days, I can see them agreeing to Arbitration with each side (players, owners, MLB) each picking an Arbitrator. There is just too much money to be lost by all sides if there is no Baseball next season and they all know that. Last season was the realtity check.

I just don't see them being able to work out an agreement without outside guidance.
                        In theory this works also the fact that there is too much money at stake.

We'll see what reality brings.

All I know is the MLBPA is really pissed and with good reason and ready to go to war as service time is being manipulated, the average salary has gone down the past few years and owners, according to Forbes and others, are making record profits.

Comment

• Here we go again in Cleveland. 2-outs, bottom 9th, walk, infield single, next batter goes 1-2 then gets plunked. 2 outs bases are loaded.
                          Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

In theory this works also the fact that there is too much money at stake.

We'll see what reality brings.

All I know is the MLBPA is really pissed and with good reason and ready to go to war as service time is being manipulated, the average salary has gone down the past few years and owners, according to Forbes and others, are making record profits.
                            Of course they are pissed, but pissing and whining won't get you anything. You stil have to find common ground and work something out otherwise the players get zero dollars for what time is left of their short careers. The players aren't autoworkers or Steelworkers who have 30+ year careers. They have to get what they can for the 10 years or so they are active.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dumpjerry View Post

Of course they are pissed, but pissing and whining won't get you anything. You still have to find common ground and work something out otherwise the players get zero dollars for what time is left of their short careers. The players aren't autoworkers or Steelworkers who have 30+ year careers. They have to get what they can for the 10 years or so they are active.
                              "Pissing and whining" over the years has made the MLBPA the strongest union in the world. History shows they've been able to hold out much longer than owners. Players seem to take seriously sacrificing something in the short term for long term gain and to help future players down the line.

If last year's issues, just say over how many games to play, is any indication, this is going to be bloody.

But...we'll see, in the end you may be right.

Comment

"Pissing and whining" over the years has made the MLBPA the strongest union in the world. History shows they've been able to hold out much longer than owners. Players seem to take seriously sacrificing something in the short term for long term gain and to help future players down the line.

If last year's issues, just say over how many games to play, is any indication, this is going to be bloody.

But...we'll see, in the end you may be right.
                                Not sure about the "the strongest in the world" or close to it. It is hard to get the public sypathetic for millionaires. It's not like they are Steelworkers looking to put food on their families' tables and keeping a roof over their heads. What is the basis for regarding them so strong?

Comment

Working...
                                X