Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More minor league rule experimentations...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More minor league rule experimentations...

Some I like...other are, ...strange:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/m...bot-umps-more/

Thank goodness they are looking at changing the size of the bases. Adam Eaton's ACL is smiling.

Comment

Sounds like MLB is committed to more balls in play, more stolen bases. TDog must be thrilled.
      "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
      -- Thucydides

Comment

If only the robot umps could replace the 4 worst umpires in the game. I'd be for that.

Comment

I dislike the pickoff limit and step off rule they are trying to implement. I get they want to increase more exciting plays, but it will provide less value to those who can actually do it despite these changes. It's likely going to create an influx of weaker hitting position players that could reduce them reaching base to begin with. Granted its probably better than guys striking out 180-210 times a year though. I'll have to see it in action.

Comment

Originally posted by WSox597 View Post
            If only the robot umps could replace the 4 worst umpires in the game. I'd be for that.
            Too bad Angel Hernandez can't be sent down to AA ball.......

Comment

Originally posted by HomeFish View Post
              Sounds like MLB is committed to more balls in play, more stolen bases. TDog must be thrilled.
              I don't think it will really do anything to encourage either. I think the biggest problem is simply pitchers throw a lot harder now than they did 20 years ago so it's a lot harder to put the ball in play and managers don't want to risk outs or injuries on the base paths. I'm not sure what MLB can do from a rule perspective to change that.

Comment

Well, we'll see what impact it has in the minors. I think it's cool that they are doing an experiment.
                "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
                -- Thucydides

Comment

I dislike the shift the way it's being done to extremes right now, so I hope that part gets extended to major league play at some point.

Comment

Yes for robo strike umps and step off rule.
                    (Formerly asindc.)

"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." — George Orwell

Comment

And............................here's another goofy idea:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/p...nings-in-2021/

Maybe I'm just stupid but what on Earth could these people POSSIBLY be thinking?
                      Last edited by Lipman 1; 04-27-2021, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post

Maybe I'm just stupid but what of Earth could these people POSSIBLY be thinking?
                        If Manfred even thinks about considering thinking about doing this..............

Comment

Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post

Maybe I'm just stupid but what on Earth could these people POSSIBLY be thinking?
                          If you're the Pioneer League, it makes a lot of sense.

MLB sort of deserted the league, rendering it independent. no working agreements. Independent leagues make money by selling contracts to major league teams, and with smaller farm, there will be fewer opportunities for that. Independent-league baseball, sells merchandise (a popular T-shirt from the Yums Scorpions, RIP, had "If you can't stand the heat, stay our of our stadium."), but they they need to do what they can to get fans into the ballpark for a good time. This really is so Bill Veeck. Go to a baseball game and there's a chance a home run derby might erupt.

I have no use for home run derbies and wouldn't stay to see it, can't even imagine any circumstances when I would would voluntarily watch one, but if you're trying to get fans to come out to the games, you could put Max Patkin in a coaching box or promise a fireworks display after the game. Even people who go to Pioneer League games probably won't be heavily invested in the championship. It is, by definition, bush league and in practice limited to the Mountain time zone, fortunately. And, fortunately, although you wouldn't know it in the 2020s, Major League Baseball has had a way to settle ties for more than a century, sometimes in epic fashion.

Unfortunately, baseball has a commissioner who doesn't understand, appreciate or apparently even like baseball. Every suggested enacted and suggested rule change in recent years shows that. (Perhaps coming up next, as in cricket, and in some adult recreation baseball leagues, the team that is losing going into the ninth bats first to save time, and that is far less egregious than seven-inning games, runners placed on second to begin extra innings and the three-hitter minimum.) The idea that there's a gimmick out there that an independent league is trying to stay afloat may be a point of concern.

Comment

Working...
                          X