Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This will come up in the new CBA negotiations...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lipman 1
    replied
    The author writes what he thinks will be in the new CBA. If these come to pass I think most fans will be happy (as long as they get rid of the bastardized, bizarre COVID-19 rules!):

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/r...r-2021-season/

Leave a comment:

• Dumpjerry
    replied
    Originally posted by Nellie Fox View Post
    "I'm only making $1.5 million a year! I've got a family to feed! Strike!" ๐Ÿ™„
    Well, after taxes we're talking $1,000,000. How does a guy keep up with the Kardashians with this humiliation?

Leave a comment:

• voodoochile
    replied
    Originally posted by Nellie Fox View Post
    As opposed to the owners?

โ€this investment has only gone from $30M to $2B. Iโ€™ve got grown up grandkids who wonโ€™t be able to buy a decent yacht if we give the players more money. LOCKOUT!โ€

Leave a comment:

• Nellie Fox
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Lipman 1
    replied
    Originally posted by Dumpjerry View Post

Other than increasing the minimum, how would a CBA address this? This seems like a free market result-the players are agreeing to smaller contracts. This could be the result of so many rookie and second year players signing long extension to avoid Arb years. This would suppress salaries. The players are not forced to accept the offers, but they are excellent insurance policies against a career ending injury.
    Given the clear manipulation by the teams over service time and as the story says so many "middle/vet" type players are being squeezed out the MLBPA has the ammo to claim the owners are deliberately trying to suppress salaries while sources like Forbes are saying they have been making record profits the last few years. Plus you had the ice-cold free agent market/signings and the union may be able to bring up "collusion."

Then you had the recent comments by the former front office guy with the Mariners.

Trust me, the owners have given them all the ammo they need, I've read where several players including the Dodgers Kenley Jansen (who may be their player rep) have already uttered the work "strike." These guys are pissed and ready to go to war.

I would be completely shocked if there isn't either a lockout as soon as this season ends or a strike next spring and a delay to the season of several months.

Leave a comment:

• Dumpjerry
    replied
    Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post
    Another notch that the players union is sure to bring up in the CBA negotiations...this will not end without a long struggle/stoppage:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2021/4/...ecreases-again
    Other than increasing the minimum, how would a CBA address this? This seems like a free market result-the players are agreeing to smaller contracts. This could be the result of so many rookie and second year players signing long extension to avoid Arb years. This would suppress salaries. The players are not forced to accept the offers, but they are excellent insurance policies against a career ending injury.

Leave a comment:

• Lipman 1
    replied
    Another notch that the players union is sure to bring up in the CBA negotiations...this will not end without a long struggle/stoppage:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2021/4/...ecreases-again

Leave a comment:

• Lipman 1
    replied
    A nice story looking at the in's and out's of service time manipulation and the impact on the next CBA:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/m...issue-in-2021/

Leave a comment:

• thomas35forever
    replied
    Jomboy breaks it down:
    https://youtu.be/zBg8_44uDZ0

Leave a comment:

• Lipman 1
    replied
    Originally posted by Mohoney View Post
    Nobody forced the MLBPA to sign that contract. They agreed to the provision, knowing full well that front offices were going to play these games with service time. Perhaps they will do better in this next round of negotiations.
    I guarantee you they'll do better although more than likely it is going to lead to a strike either in 2022 or later in the 2021 season. The other possibility is the owners locking out the players as soon as the 21 season ends. This doesn't bode well for anyone but with owners making huge profits the past few seasons while players salaries have gone done, now throw in the cold free agent markets and service time manipulation the MLBPA has a lot of battles they can fight hard on.

Leave a comment:

• HomeFish
    replied
    Nobody forced the MLBPA to sign that contract. They agreed to the provision, knowing full well that front offices were going to play these games with service time. Perhaps they will do better in this next round of negotiations.
    The CBA does not allow MLB teams to act in bad faith, and that is essentially what a senior Mariners executive just confessed to. This could lead to successful grievances.

Leave a comment:

• blurry
    replied
    You're not wrong. The MLBPA operates like many other unions in that the senior members will lead a vote for a deal that helps them the most but the compromises are generally on the backs of the youngest members. It's why so many veterans were ticked off that George Springer was offered a bigger contract before he even made the majors (they said he didn't "earn" it yet...in that, they didn't like a younger person making more money than them).

I have a feeling this time may be a little bit different. Some of the veteran players who had their service time manipulated are still openly unhappy with how the entire process is handled. It's a system that everybody wants to see fixed; players want to get paid sooner and I'm betting GM's probably want to stop being the bad guy and having to lie through their teeth with their "needs to work on their defense" garbage.

Leave a comment:

• Mohoney
    replied

Leave a comment:

• blurry
    replied
    Mariners made a statement: https://twitter.com/Mariners/status/...is_position%2F

As did the MLBPA: https://twitter.com/MLBPA_News/statu...34305672716297

Leave a comment:

• ChiTownTrojan
    replied
    Originally posted by HomeFish View Post
    An act of remarkably poor judgment from a very experienced baseball executive. I'm speechless.
    Mather just stepped down (as he should have).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X