MLB Remembers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB Remembers...

Saturday at 8PM Eastern time MLB Network is having a special hour show remembering the greats who were lost in this most depressing year. My hope is they'll also include Dick Allen although the show may have already been done when he passed earlier this month.

It is amazing how many sports heroes passed away this year not just in MLB. I've been around 75 years and 2020 has to be the worst year I've experienced with 1968 a close second.
    Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

Comment

Originally posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
      It is amazing how many sports heroes passed away this year not just in MLB. I've been around 75 years and 2020 has to be the worst year I've experienced with 1968 a close second.
      On a personal level, 1968 may have been worse for a lot of people, especially when you factor in Vietnam. The fact that Don Drysdale wasn't the biggest story out of LA the night he pitched his record sixth straight complete game shutout sort of puts the year into perspective. I thought 1968 was a rough year, but I only turned 11 in the middle of it.

Just the baseball Hall of Famers, headed by Gibson and Seaver, who had better 1968s than 2020s, would have made this a year of loss for the sport without everything else. All things considered, the MLB network probably ran its highest proportion of obit features in its history. In the socially distanced checkout at the supermarket a few days ago, I saw a magazine with faces of luminaries and celebrities who died in 2020, and I didn't notice anyone from baseball. Such was the volume. This has truly been an awful year.

Comment

A very nice detailed story on many of the former MLB players who passed away in this brutal year (and yes Dick Allen is at the top of the list):

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/in...o-died-in-2020

Comment

Originally posted by LITTLE NELL
          Originally posted by TDog View Post

On a personal level, 1968 may have been worse for a lot of people, especially when you factor in Vietnam. The fact that Don Drysdale wasn't the biggest story out of LA the night he pitched his record sixth straight complete game shutout sort of puts the year into perspective. I thought 1968 was a rough year, but I only turned 11 in the middle of it.

Just the baseball Hall of Famers, headed by Gibson and Seaver, who had better 1968s than 2020s, would have made this a year of loss for the sport without everything else. All things considered, the MLB network probably ran its highest proportion of obit features in its history. In the socially distanced checkout at the supermarket a few days ago, I saw a magazine with faces of luminaries and celebrities who died in 2020, and I didn't notice anyone from baseball. Such was the volume. This has truly been an awful year.

Yep, 1968 was insane. I spent the year in Vietnam and the craziness started out with the Tet Offensive in late January. Even though the US eventually repelled the offensive, support for the war started to crumble back home in the US which led to rioting all over the country. MLK was assassinated in early April and major rioting broke out in all the major cities and especially on the west side of Chicago. People were afraid to leave their houses and IIRC the Sox only drew about 8,000 for opening day at old Comiskey. Next came the assassination of RFK in June. With support for the war falling every day, it led to an address to the nation by LBJ that he would not run for re-election which was a huge shock. August came around and things really got insane with the Democrat National Convention in Chicago with anti war protesters converging on the city in huge numbers with massive rioting and clashes with the Chicago Police Dept.

There have been quite a few TV documentaries down through the years on how 1968 was the most traumatic year in US history, Bill Curtis had one IIRC on the History Channel that I thought was the best. Now here we are in 2020 and the trauma of 68 has been overtaken by the events of this year, didn't think we would ever see a year worse than 68.
          Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 12-27-2020, 12:08 PM.
          Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

Comment

Phil Niekro joins the list of Hall of Famers who have died in 2020. he passed away last night at age 81.

Comment

Working...
            X