• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Cleveland Indians' moniker soon will be no more

New York Times story is reporting it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/13/s...me-change.html

Comment

This is great news! No need to even mention the team name in the thread title.

Now let's all work on eliminating the use of the team name on this board. Can we even ***** it if someone tries to use it mods?

Comment

Originally posted by Streets View Post
        This is great news! No need to even mention the team name in the thread title.

Now let's all work on eliminating the use of the team name on this board. Can we even ***** it if someone tries to use it mods?
        Not without starring out the word Indian for all uses, so, no...
        Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

Originally posted by voodoochile View Post

Not without starring out the word Indian for all uses, so, no...
          Makes sense.

That said, there is no reason anyone on this board should reference the now former team name on this message board.

There's been chatter on name suggestions for a long time now, Spiders are brought up based on historical references. Seems like a good name to me. Either way, the racist name will be gone!

Comment

This was pretty much announced before the 2020 season. We'll have to think up a new insulting nickname for this franchise when their new name is announced, no more "Toons" or "Racist Caricatures".
            "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
            -- Thucydides

Comment

Originally posted by Streets View Post

Makes sense.

That said, there is no reason anyone on this board should reference the now former team name on this message board.

There's been chatter on name suggestions for a long time now, Spiders are brought up based on historical references. Seems like a good name to me. Either way, the racist name will be gone!
              The report suggests the old name could remain in use for the 2021 season, so I don't think we'll be able to do that just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by thomas35forever View Post

The report suggests the old name could remain in use for the 2021 season, so I don't think we'll be able to do that just yet.
                Might be like the NFL Washington franchise. They will be the Cleveland MLB franchise until they pick out a new name.

Comment

I think it should be the Cleveland Cubs in honor of their World Series title futility......

Comment

History be damned, I like the Cleveland Spiders as a name.

Comment

They should be the Cuyahogas, then they could use a big flame as their logo. 🔥

Comment

If I were an executive of the Cleveland American League Base Ball Team, I would definitely be pushing for something like Fire or Flames. It's the most famous thing about Cleveland, and it comes with an established brand and aesthetic. They can use fire department colors, they can have a dalmation as a mascot, they can have the bullpen carts be fire trucks, they can play fire sirens when the team scores, etc. Plus fire fighters and paramedics are almost universally popular. Yes the Chicago Fire do the same thing in MLS, but lots of teams have similar logos.

They could, I suppose, go with a Rock and Roll Theme for the Hall of Fame. The Cleveland Rock. But I don't like that style of name. Plus rock is dead.

The third most famous thing about Cleveland, after the river catching fire and rock and roll, is Drew Carey, but I probably wouldn't go down that route.

I looked it up and the most established Negro League team to play in Cleveland were the Cleveland Buckeyes. That name is already taken in Ohio.
                        "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
                        -- Thucydides

Comment

Originally posted by HomeFish View Post
                          If I were an executive of the Cleveland American League Base Ball Team, I would definitely be pushing for something like Fire or Flames. It's the most famous thing about Cleveland, and it comes with an established brand and aesthetic. They can use fire department colors, they can have a dalmation as a mascot, they can have the bullpen carts be fire trucks, they can play fire sirens when the team scores, etc. Plus fire fighters and paramedics are almost universally popular. Yes the Chicago Fire do the same thing in MLS, but lots of teams have similar logos.

They could, I suppose, go with a Rock and Roll Theme for the Hall of Fame. The Cleveland Rock. But I don't like that style of name. Plus rock is dead.

The third most famous thing about Cleveland, after the river catching fire and rock and roll, is Drew Carey, but I probably wouldn't go down that route.

I looked it up and the most established Negro League team to play in Cleveland were the Cleveland Buckeyes. That name is already taken in Ohio.
                          I thought of Rock, but that would cause confusion with Rockies.

It is okay if they go Buckeyes, New York once had two pro teams named the Giants.

Comment

They could do a play on nearby Sandusky being the roller coaster capital of the world.. just spitballing. I like Spiders but that could be because I've gotten used to that as a team nickname living near U of. Richmond the past 3 years.

Comment

Ohio is the Buckeye state. OSU got it's nickname from there not the other way around. I'll be surprised if the team formerly known as the Indians does that direction, but it's not like OSU has a trademark on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X