Congrats to Bobby Miller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congrats to Bobby Miller

Congrats go out to McHenry and Louisville star pitcher Bobby Miller who was picked by the Dodgers in the first round of the MLB draft yesterday.
    The reason I'm mentioning this is that Bobby is the grandson of my best friend also named Robert growing up in Rogers Park and the years following. The sad thing is that he died 16 years ago, he had horrible times when he came back from Vietnam with PTSD and ADD plus drinking and gambling issues, he wound up in an Army Hospital in 1989, he died in 2004. He fought in the jungles of Vietnam in the Central Highlands and experienced the hell of war. The crazy thing is after we received our draft notices in the summer of 1965 he talked me into enlisting in the Air Force, we were ready to report to the enlistment office on west Van Buren street on October 12th and proceed to Lackland AFB for basic training. 2 weeks before reporting date he decides that 4 years is too long of a time to serve, so 2 months later is drafted by the Army and was shipped to Vietnam a year later where I said he went through hell. I went on and joined the Air Force and also spent a year in Nam but compared to what my buddy went through, I can't compare.
    I feel so sad that he missed out on seeing his grandson picked in the first round of the draft, he would have been so proud.

https://www.nwherald.com/2020/06/10/...draft/a3rbwp8/

I'd be remiss if I did not mention one more thing as it's related to Vietnam Vets. One of the guys in my Monday golf group of 30 players the other night had a nervous breakdown. This guy served 3 tours in Vietnam as a Ranger and also went through hell X 3. I met him 8 years ago and said to myself this guy is not right, we all saw him year by year have more and more issues, he also has ADD and PTSD and huge anger issues and other problems like loss of memory. He's had words and near fights with just about everybody in the group, besides that he had a license to carry a hand gun and we all thought that one day he would snap and start shooting people. Thank God he did not shoot anyone the other night as our security department was able to calm him down and called the police who took him to the hospital. His son came down yesterday from Michigan to deal with everything like selling the house etc, etc before he takes him back to Michigan.

Voodoo, if you think this belongs in The Parking Lot, please move it.
    Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 06-11-2020, 08:20 AM.
    Batting in the second position for the White Sox, number 2, the second baseman Nelson Fox.

Thank you and your friends for your service. I am sorry for Bobby's father, he would have been proud. Glad to see your other friend is in good hands now, hopefully they can help him heal.

Comment

Originally posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
      Congrats go out to McHenry and Louisville star pitcher Bobby Miller who was picked by the Dodgers in the first round of the MLB draft yesterday.
      The reason I'm mentioning this is that Bobby is the grandson of my best friend also named Robert growing up in Rogers Park and the years following. The sad thing is that he died 16 years ago, he had horrible times when he came back from Vietnam with PTSD and ADD plus drinking and gambling issues, he wound up in an Army Hospital in 1989, he died in 2004. He fought in the jungles of Vietnam in the Central Highlands and experienced the hell of war. The crazy thing is after we received our draft notices in the summer of 1965 he talked me into enlisting in the Air Force, we were ready to report to the enlistment office on west Van Buren street on October 12th and proceed to Lackland AFB for basic training. 2 weeks before reporting date he decides that 4 years is too long of a time to serve, so 2 months later is drafted by the Army and was shipped to Vietnam a year later where I said he went through hell. I went on and joined the Air Force and also spent a year in Nam but compared to what my buddy went through, I can't compare.
      I feel so sad that he missed out on seeing his grandson picked in the first round of the draft, he would have been so proud.

https://www.nwherald.com/2020/06/10/...draft/a3rbwp8/

I'd be remiss if I did not mention one more thing as it's related to Vietnam Vets. One of the guys in my Monday golf group of 30 players the other night had a nervous breakdown. This guy served 3 tours in Vietnam as a Ranger and also went through hell X 3. I met him 8 years ago and said to myself this guy is not right, we all saw him year by year have more and more issues, he also has ADD and PTSD and huge anger issues and other problems like loss of memory. He's had words and near fights with just about everybody in the group, besides that he had a license to carry a hand gun and we all thought that one day he would snap and start shooting people. Thank God he did not shoot anyone the other night as our security department was able to calm him down and called the police who took him to the hospital. His son came down yesterday from Michigan to deal with everything like selling the house etc, etc before he takes him back to Michigan.

Voodoo, if you think this belongs in The Parking Lot, please move it.
      I also had a relatively uneventful Nam tour, working as a radio-teletype team chief in a Military Intelligence unit. I held the Rangers in awe. Not many people could have come through three tours as a Ranger without some serious psychological damage.

Comment

Signed.

​​​​​​https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...by-miller.html

Comment

Originally posted by A. Cavatica View Post
          After high school the Orioles picked him in the 36th round of the draft so Bobby made the right move by going to Louisville for a couple of years.
          Batting in the second position for the White Sox, number 2, the second baseman Nelson Fox.

Comment

Working...
          X