This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TDog View Post

Of course, judging the quality of a manager is subjective, and while my sanity was being brought into question, I should have made clear I was dealing with opinion rather than fact.. The consensus opinion among baseball fans in Arizona has long been that Hinch is a bad manager. Any career rehabilitation he gained during his time in Houston was lost with his suspension. With all that young talent, he still had to cheat. It discredits his accomplishments.

Imagine post-White Sox Terry Bevington going to a team loaded with young talent, winning the World Series and later being suspended for cheating. This would be followed by nodding White Sox fans insisting to the world they were right all along.. Imagine Brewers fans' reaction if Ned Yost were suspended for cheating with the 2015-16 Royals. Even with the Royals' run, many don't consider Yost a very good manager, and there has never been any question that he won honestly.

Frankly, I'm surprised that people are so quick to defend Hinch and rationalize his tainted managerial record with Houston.

But the fact is that Hinch is a disgraced manager.
    That's where you went wrong. Sour grapes, that bunch. Ran a good manager out of town because he couldn't work with a **** roster. It's more like when TLR was fired here the first time and then went to the A's.

With the steroid cheating on that team, it's way more similar to that. LOL. But nobody is dismissing TLR over it.

Comment

Originally posted by vegandork View Post

That's where you went wrong. Sour grapes, that bunch. Ran a good manager out of town because he couldn't work with a **** roster. It's more like when TLR was fired here the first time and then went to the A's.

With the steroid cheating on that team, it's way more similar to that. LOL. But nobody is dismissing TLR over it.
      You obviously weren't following Hinch in Arizona. Seriously. He even came across as a bad manager in his post-game news conferences. His actions in Houston, winning dishonestly, don't reflect well on him, whether he was at the center of it or he wasn't a strong enough manager to put a stop to it. Apparently he's a good interview because he's back in baseball. But you don't have to be honest to be a good interview.

I understand that some baseball fans conveniently struggle with ethical questions as they dream of winning, and values clarification can border on the political. But not only did Hinch show no signs of being a good manager with the Diamondbacks, and the only won with the team that he left in a cheating scandal, baseball punished him for it with a suspension. The Astros fired him for it. (After Leo Durocher was suspended by Commission Happy Chandler for the 1947 season for "moral shortcomings" culminating in his affair and marriage to actress Laraine Day -- simpler times -- Branch Rickey hired a caretaker manager to take the Dodgers to the World Series before welcoming Durocher back for the beginning of the 1948 season. I've seen nothing to indicate the Astros had to fire Hinch.)

There may be baseball fans who see some sort of immoral equivalency in Hinch's actions and crimes against baseball theyassign to others. What you miss is that Hinch's cheating means more to casual fans and potential fans. That probably means more in Chicago than in Detroit. But if Hinch is upset that he couldn't get a better job than the one he got in Detroit, he really has only himself to blame.

Comment

Originally posted by vegandork View Post

I'm not insisting La Russa must be guilty, I'm telling you La Russa admitted to being guilty by default. He still laughs when this is brought up. Still smiles when you mention it. Because he's proud of it. I honestly don't care about it. I prefer a manager looking for new ways to win. But you're unreasonable in your assessment of Hinch, and equally unreasonable in your assessment of La Russa. The double standard is staggering.
        What a crock.

Comment

Boiling it down... we don't have Hinch. We do have Larussa. Who cheated when or how this will benefit the Tigers vs the Sox is all moot. It's done. It's over. TLR is the White Sox manager.
          Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

Working...
          X