Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MLB Offseason Thread (2020-21)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Mohoney View Post

    Boston also had enough financial muscle to keep Betts and wait for a better offer. Cleveland basically put a “Free to good home” sticker on Lindor 2 years ago when Dolan told the fans to enjoy Lindor while he was still there.
    This is a big factor, but it's not the only one of them. The return for Lindor would probably have been greater in another season (one without financial uncertainty). And with the Mets willing to eat Carrasco's salary as well, there really wasn't going to be another team to negotiate against. All things considered, 2 recent high draft picks and two young major league regulars (one of which was a former top ten overall prospect) isn't all that bad.

    Comment


    • https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/...n-in-2021.html

      Sugano is not coming to the states. At least not this year.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by vegandork View Post

        This is a big factor, but it's not the only one of them. The return for Lindor would probably have been greater in another season (one without financial uncertainty). And with the Mets willing to eat Carrasco's salary as well, there really wasn't going to be another team to negotiate against. All things considered, 2 recent high draft picks and two young major league regulars (one of which was a former top ten overall prospect) isn't all that bad.
        I think that Lindor is elite enough that there were enough teams bidding to try to get a fair price. Carrasco was far from a salary dump, the Mets weren't just "willing" to take on his contract.

        The 4 guys they got are all individually interesting, but still light overall in the top end talent they gave up to acquire them.

        Comment


        • For those who are more in tune with the Sox farm system, what would have been a similar group of Sox prospects that NYM sent to Cleveland?
          (Formerly asindc.)

          "I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

          "We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." — George Orwell

          Comment


          • Anything to improve our chances at the division.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post

              I think that Lindor is elite enough that there were enough teams bidding to try to get a fair price. Carrasco was far from a salary dump, the Mets weren't just "willing" to take on his contract.

              The 4 guys they got are all individually interesting, but still light overall in the top end talent they gave up to acquire them.
              I agree, I would have wanted a top guy to headline. They got 4 nice pieces, but not that "we got this guy" piece.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by JazzyCyclist View Post
                For those who are more in tune with the Sox farm system, what would have been a similar group of Sox prospects that NYM sent to Cleveland?
                A similar level package would be Madrigal (former top prospect at the major league level with questions), Adam Engel (borderline regular), and two raw but high end prospects (maybe Kelley and Bryan Ramos, though Kelley's value might be a bit higher given he isn't as raw).
                Last edited by vegandork; 01-08-2021, 04:20 PM.

                Comment


                • I read the Blue Jays offered better prospects for Lindor, but Cleveland wanted guys that were closer to making the MLB roster.

                  Schwarber signed a 1 year, $10 million dollar deal with the Nats.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by vegandork View Post

                    A similar level package would be Madrigal (former top prospect at the major league level with questions), Adam Engel (borderline regular), and two raw but high end prospects (maybe Kelley and Bryan Ramos, though Kelley's value might be a bit higher given he isn't as raw).
                    Yeah it's hard to find a Rosario comp on the Sox, but this isn't far off. Maybe flip Engel out for a more upside bottom top 10 guy would be a bit closer.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by MrX View Post
                      I read the Blue Jays offered better prospects for Lindor, but Cleveland wanted guys that were closer to making the MLB roster.

                      Schwarber signed a 1 year, $10 million dollar deal with the Nats.
                      Schwarber gets a nice pay increase for his trouble. I guess his skill set is still valued by MLB teams.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post

                        Schwarber gets a nice pay increase for his trouble. I guess his skill set is still valued by MLB teams.
                        $11 million mutual second year option with a $3 million buyout. Wow, I thought for sure he'd be signing a one year deal with at most $5 million.

                        Comment


                        • I think you guys are underrating Cleveland’s return here. Rosario would be more analogous to Anderson after ‘18 season. Way more value than a 29 year old fourth outfielder. Same age as Anderson in ‘18 with same numbers, same speed/power combo, same upside, except his ‘19 numbers at age 23 were beyond Anderson. Gimenez might already be one of the best defensive middle infielders in the game, with legit classic lead off hitter speed and bat. Easily could be one the best double play combos in the game within the next year or two. Sox don’t really have anyone comparable to Greene as a left hand hitting center fielder with five above average tools. Ramos isn’t even close to Greene in value at this point. Wolf probably somewhere in Dahlquist to Thompson range
                          Last edited by Vulture; 01-09-2021, 07:37 PM.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Vulture View Post
                            I think you guys are underrating Cleveland’s return here. Rosario would be more analogous to Anderson after ‘18 season. Way more value than a 29 year old fourth outfielder. Same age as Anderson in ‘18 with same numbers, same speed/power combo, same upside, except his ‘19 numbers at age 23 were beyond Anderson. Gimenez might already be one of the best defensive middle infielders in the game, with legit classic lead off hitter speed and bat. Easily could be one the best double play combos in the game within the next year or two. Sox don’t really have anyone comparable to Greene as a left hand hitting center fielder with five above average tools. Ramos isn’t even close to Greene in value at this point. Wolf probably somewhere in Dahlquist to Thompson range
                            Rosario obviously has a lot more value than Engel, but he was supposed to be at least an elite defender as a prospect at a premium position and he's been disappointing in that aspect on top of being below average as a hitter. Maybe similar to Anderson after '18, but he was another bad year at the plate from being a complete bust. Rosario is almost a SS version of Mazara on TEX, former top prospect that has a lot of MLB experience and is still really young, but falling far short of expectations.

                            As a Sox fan, I'm happy that they chose this package over a Lourdes Gurriel or Clint Frazier one from other teams. There's a chance that all 4 of the pieces disappoint in the end.

                            Comment


                            • Looks like LaMahieu is heading back to the Yankees. $110/5.

                              https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-dj-...123800229.html

                              Comment


                              • And Brad Hand is nearing a deal with the Mets.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X