Cubs Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by voodoochile View Post
    It also would cause the batter to be in the box and ready almost all the time which wouldn't give them as much time to adjust and consider what they next pitch might be.
    That used to be routine. Hitters didn't "go walkabout" after every pitch like they do now. They're actually supposed to stay in the batter's box after each pitch unless they swung at the pitch. Another rule that's never enforced.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post

Well said.

I'm upset that baseball (at least Commissioner Ostrich) wants to radically change the game in order to kowtow to a group of people who have the attention span of kids in kindergarten in the "hopes" they can become fans.
      I don’t see any radical changes being proposed. No one is proposing “two strikes and you’re out” or eliminating third base.

Continuing to kowtow to people your age or my age will help ensure that many children don’t grow up to be baseball fans.

As for the Cubs, they appealed to kids in the 80s and 90s because all their day games were on free TV during the summer when school was out. When those kids grew up, Wrigley was great for them as the world’s largest outdoor beer garden.

Now that no Cubs games will be on free TV, and the club is on the downswing because ownership is over-leveraged, I anticipate that over the long term the Ricketts will not be able to maintain what the Tribune media empire built for them.

Comment

Jon Scambi is their new TV play-by-play man.

Comment

Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post

I don’t see any radical changes being proposed. No one is proposing “two strikes and you’re out” or eliminating third base.

Continuing to kowtow to people your age or my age will help ensure that many children don’t grow up to be baseball fans.

As for the Cubs, they appealed to kids in the 80s and 90s because all their day games were on free TV during the summer when school was out. When those kids grew up, Wrigley was great for them as the world’s largest outdoor beer garden.

Now that no Cubs games will be on free TV, and the club is on the downswing because ownership is over-leveraged, I anticipate that over the long term the Ricketts will not be able to maintain what the Tribune media empire built for them.
          Requiring relievers to face three hitters in an inning is radical. Seven inning games are radical. Beginning extra innings with a running on second is radical. Preventing catchers from going over signs with a runner on second is radical.. Waving a runner to first when you don't want to pitch to him to save the time to throw four pitchouts, which is about the time it can take to throw one pitch to a hitter with a base-stealing threat on first base and second unoccupied is radical. Those rules are not just radical; they are arbitrary.

The Cubs have been the more glamorous Chicago team for a half century. Even when I was (involuntarily) in Oklahoma for a few weeks in the summer of 1972, of all seasons, people in pre-cable rural America couldn't understand why I was a White Sox fan when I could be cheering for the Cubs. I don't watch ESPN, but I would be surprised if they don't glam up the Cubs and ignore the White Sox, faded Tribune dynasty or not. Your anticipation is based on the premise that it's about the baseball. For me it's always been about the baseball, but it doesn't seem to be about baseball with baseball anymore. I'm frustrated now that I care more about baseball than the commissioner does.

Comment

Mark Gonzales has accepted a buyout and is leaving the Chicago Tribune.

https://twitter.com/mdgonzales/statu...741151744?s=21
            “It's not the high price of stardom that bothers me...it's the high price of mediocrity." - Bill Veeck

"If I was going to storm a pillbox, going to sheer, utter, certain death, and the Colonel said 'Shepherd, pick six guys", I'd pick six White Sox fans because they have known death every day of their lives and it holds no terror for them." - Jean Shepherd

Comment

Originally posted by PaleHoser View Post

One of the best baseball writers I've ever read.

Comment

Originally posted by PaleHoser View Post

I frequently e-mailed him when he was covering the White Sox for the Tribune. I always got a quick response. I hope he finds another gig doing what he loves.

2020 Sox Attendance Tracker: 0-0
                All-time Sox Attendance Tracker: 286-247
                Posts on old WSI: 7344

Comment

Originally posted by Chez View Post

I frequently e-mailed him when he was covering the White Sox for the Tribune. I always got a quick response. I hope he finds another gig doing what he loves.
                  He told me he was going to explore all options and mentioned how much he liked the video part of the job today.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post

He told me he was going to explore all options and mentioned how much he liked the video part of the job today.
                    What an exodus at the World's Greatest Newspaper. They'll find a rookie to replace him, I'm sure. Or run wire service stories, like the rest of what they print.
                    Best reason Rick Hahn should be out of work? Statistics.

Comment

Working...
                    X