Lovable Loser Laments Too?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LITTLE NELL View Post

About 10 years ago I read somewhere that Moises Alou admitted that he would have never caught that ball. He could have saved Bartman tons of grief if he would have said something that night.
    He definitely could have caught that though. His glove was directly below the fan's hands. Still doesn't explain them blowing the game and series, or the scapegoating and abuse of the cub fan. I mean, he already made the decision to be a cub fan. Given that decision making history, how could they have expected to make a good call in the heat of the moment?

Comment

Originally posted by Vulture View Post

He definitely could have caught that though. His glove was directly below the fan's hands. Still doesn't explain them blowing the game and series, or the scapegoating and abuse of the cub fan. I mean, he already made the decision to be a cub fan. Given that decision making history, how could they have expected to make a good call in the heat of the moment?
      The link I posted quoted him as saying he couldn't have caught the ball. I dont know what the truth is, angles on TV can be deceiving but you are correct, they blew the game big time and to blame it on an iffy catch was bush league on the part of the media and Cub fans.

Batting in the second position for the White Sox, number 2, the second baseman Nelson Fox.

Comment

What happened to Bartman enrages me to this day. I know, I can't let go. The abuse heaped on him by several media members is especially galling, as they should know better. I also think that any statement that he "brought it all on himself"-the harassment, the death threats, what his family endured, the abuse-extremely disgusting. No one but NO ONE deserves all of that over a freaking baseball game. No one.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy John View Post
          What happened to Bartman enrages me to this day. I know, I can't let go. The abuse heaped on him by several media members is especially galling, as they should know better. I also think that any statement that he "brought it all on himself"-the harassment, the death threats, what his family endured, the abuse-extremely disgusting. No one but NO ONE deserves all of that over a freaking baseball game. No one.
          The death threats would have happened without the news reporting. If there were people whose non-journalistic functions amplified their antagonism toward Steve Bartman, that is a separate issue, and there is no reason to believe it would have happened without the reporting. It's absurd to believe he didn't bring it on himself, just as the enormity of what he brought onto himself was absurd.

This is what Cubs fans are. On a certain level, it's what American sports fans are, and you might be able to extrapolate it further. Sort it out. The problem wasn't with the newspapers and television news reporting.

It's absurd to blame the reporting of the incident for the nature of Cubs fans. Blaming the reporting for the actions of Cubs fans is like blaming Steve Bartman for giving up eight runs to the Marlins.

Comment

The goat is Moises Alou, AKA "Jumpy", not Bartman. "Jumpy" was jumping up and down the entire game -- and his jumping is what the fans at the ballpark were reacting to and the cameras captured it, over and over again. There were at least four other fans reaching out to catch that ball and all of them had a better shot at catching it than did Jumpy.

If Jumpy had any common human decency he would have watched the replays inside the CHC clubhouse after the game, the insanity of scapegoating an innocent fan caused by his frustrated reaction to losing the catch, and then face the press before Game 7 and patiently explain why he Moises overreacted, that he (and his teammates) were the only ones responsible for the loss and publicly wish that fan nothing but the very best. Moises Alou failed at all of this and so did the Cubs organization, too. No American or anyone else not associated with the team as a fan or a player or a front office manager has a single thing to apologize for.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
              The Cubs had their Ace on the mound. He should have gotten the next guy out. Instead he threw a tantrum and couldn't do his job. His manager should have pulled him and he didn't. They should have gone the next game with Kid-K, Mr. 20 strikes out, on the mound. They didn't. What there should be no excuse for is how the Cubs choked.
              I remember I was watching the game with my wife when it happened (doubly odd because I rarely watch the Cubs and my wife almost never watches baseball) and right after it happened I said to my wife, "Wow, this could kill them." And then...it did.

I guess what I'm saying is that you're welcome, everybody. ;)

Comment

Working...
              X