X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *OFFICIAL* 9-12 BEARS 14 LIONS 0 Postgamer

Abreu making a major claim for the MVP

Nice to see Lopez be effective

Sox offense scoring 14 runs? Meh, we all knew it was possible.

Reynaldo Lopez giving up 0 runs? This should be the headline.
    "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
    -- Thucydides

Comment

The Brewers got 19 runs against this team last week. We're slackers.

Comment

I am more excited about the Sox than I have been since the first half of 2006.

Comment

Now comes the fun stuff. We found some lightning in a bottle with Dunning. That helps during the stretch run. If Stiever comes out firing tomorrow, it bodes well for the run to win the division.

The concern has always been relying on ReyLo and other unreliable veterans to fill the 4 and 5. Even though Cease has been concerning, Stiever showing promise and cementing a fifth spot will go a long way in finishing the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by guillensdisciple View Post
            Now comes the fun stuff. We found some lightning in a bottle with Dunning. That helps during the stretch run. If Stiever comes out firing tomorrow, it bodes well for the run to win the division.

The concern has always been relying on ReyLo and other unreliable veterans to fill the 4 and 5. Even though Cease has been concerning, Stiever showing promise and cementing a fifth spot will go a long way in finishing the fight.
            Dunning was #81 on the Top 100 list for a reason. He’s not “lightning in a bottle.”

Comment

The Yahoo sports alert on my phone said that Abreu is the first player in Sox history to score 5 runs and have 7 RBIs in one game. He's been incredible so far this year - definitely an MVP contender. TA going for a 2nd straight batting title too.

Only a half game back of best record in the American League!

CORRECTION: Abreu is the first Sox player ever to have 4 hits, 2 HRs, 5 runs, and 7 RBIs in one game.
              Last edited by Hitmen77; 09-13-2020, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mohoney View Post

Dunning was #81 on the Top 100 list for a reason. He’s not “lightning in a bottle.”
                Not every rookie, even highly rated, immediately produces. Casey Mize, Lucas Giolito, etc. There's a long history of it. A contending ball club getting consistent production out of a rookie starter is finding some lightning in a bottle.

Comment

Abreu's line looks like something from a comic book. 4/4 5 R 2 HR BB 7 RBI. If you do the math on that you realize only two of the 12 runs listed are duplicates - the 2 HR where he both scored and drove himself in. That means he personally accounted for 10/14 Sox runs yesterday. Is that a record? It's got to be close right? Freaking super saiyan mode.

Nice outing for the whole team. They definitely came out focused and wanting to make a statement. Lopez appreciated the help and dis his job. I was cooking dinner but looks like McRae had another nice outing too.

"Perfect 10 Dub for Mr. Abreu - "he's such a good batsman"..."
                  Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

Partial answer. The all time team record for RBI is 8 - most of us are aware that Ventura hit two GS in a single game. That tied the all time record. But that would have only been 8 runs produced. I can't seem to find information on the all time team record for runs produced by a single player in a single game RP = R + RBI - HR
                    Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

Originally posted by guillensdisciple View Post

Not every rookie, even highly rated, immediately produces. Casey Mize, Lucas Giolito, etc. There's a long history of it. A contending ball club getting consistent production out of a rookie starter is finding some lightning in a bottle.
                      “Lightning in a bottle” would be someone with marginal stuff like Bernardo Flores coming out of nowhere and doing what Dunning has done. Dunning always had a pedigree, and his success is not all that shocking to me. In fact, I would say we were long overdue for a pitching prospect to get up here and succeed out of the gate.

Comment

“Lightning in a bottle” would be someone with marginal stuff like Bernardo Flores coming out of nowhere and doing what Dunning has done. Dunning always had a pedigree, and his success is not all that shocking to me. In fact, I would say we were long overdue for a pitching prospect to get up here and succeed out of the gate.
                        Being number 81 on a top 100 isn't pedigree. He was muddled alongside other 55 or 50 grade prospects. Once you get past a top 20, you're essentially in a crap shoot. Failure rate is much higher than success rate for any prospect outside of that.

He was a solid prospect with question marks.

At one point, he was rated below Reynaldo.

Either way, contending teams do not get that kind of production from their rookies unless they have decent development in the minors (Dodgers). I agree, it's nice to finally see us hit on some prospects immediately.

Turn of phrase notwithstanding, I hope Stiever accomplishes whatever it is that Dunning accomplished.

Comment

Thank you for YOUR definition of lightning in a bottle.

Everyone here knows Dane's background

Comment

Originally posted by Krs1 View Post

Thank you for YOUR definition of lightning in a bottle.

Everyone here knows Dane's background
                            The term lightning in a bottle insinuates that it is a temporary boost that we should not expect to continue, which I don't feel many of us believe is the case. It's a synonym for flash in the pan.

Comment

Originally posted by vegandork View Post

The term lightning in a bottle insinuates that it is a temporary boost that we should not expect to continue, which I don't feel many of us believe is the case. It's a synonym for flash in the pan.

Comment

Working...
                              X