Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ricky AL Manager of the Year?

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-s...er-of-the-year
    I know it's preposterous to suggest such a notion around these parts, but Steve Greenberg lays out the reasons it could happen.

Faint praise from Stoney.

“This is the first year — in this, his fifth year in the major leagues — that Ricky has had a chance to show what he can do as a manager,” TV analyst Steve Stone said. “The jury is still out. I think the best thing that he does is communicate with his players [and] get his team to play hard every day.”

I agree, FWIW. I give him a ton of credit for the clubhouse chemistry. But his game management (lineups, substitutions, bullpen management) has a ton of holes.

Comment

Originally posted by A. Cavatica View Post
      Faint praise from Stoney.

“This is the first year — in this, his fifth year in the major leagues — that Ricky has had a chance to show what he can do as a manager,” TV analyst Steve Stone said. “The jury is still out. I think the best thing that he does is communicate with his players [and] get his team to play hard every day.”

I agree, FWIW. I give him a ton of credit for the clubhouse chemistry. But his game management (lineups, substitutions, bullpen management) has a ton of holes.
      I think a lot of his decisions have the "long view" in mind. He will make his lineup not to give the team the best chance of winning on that day, but in order to maybe get certain players going, or challenge them/protect them as he feels necessary. It will be interesting to see how he manages a playoff game that is must-win.

Comment

Jerry Manuel won “Manager of the Year“ despite being a bad manager. It happens all the time.

Comment

Manager of the Year is an award that is often, if not typically, given to the manager whose team most over-performed expectations. See Jerry Manuel winning it in 2000, or Tony Pena winning it in 2002. In this sense, Ricky would be a natural contender in 2020. However, I think that there are now too many younger, more statistically inclined people involved to block him from the award.
          "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
          -- Thucydides

Comment

I'm rooting against it solely because I would honestly miss some of the posters whose heads would explode if Ricky is named manager of the year.

2020 Sox Attendance Tracker: 0-0
            All-time Sox Attendance Tracker: 286-247
            Posts on old WSI: 7344

Comment

Originally posted by Chez View Post
              I'm rooting against it solely because I would honestly miss some of the posters whose heads would explode if Ricky is named manager of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by Chez View Post
                I would honestly miss some of the posters whose heads would explode if Ricky is named manager of the year.
                I’ve seen lots worse — Ventura, Ozzie from 2006 on, Bevington, Fregosi, Rader, Kessinger, Doby. I think Renteria’s on par with Manuel and Lamont, who made my head explode less than half the time.

Comment

Working...
                X