Forgotten Sox Players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried to focus on guys I have literally forgotten:

- Who played third base for the 2001 team after Herbert Perry went down with injury? Did they just move infielders around every game or was there some regular who I'm blanking on?
    - Who was that guy who started with the 2001 team as an outfielder but couldn't hit? I think Frank Thomas mentioned him in his HoF acceptance speech for some reason.
    - Everyone remembers Arnie Munoz, he is famous for throwing one of the worst starts of all time. There are YouTube videos and articles about him. But there were other failed #5 starters that season as well! How many can you name?
    - Who was the #5 starter on the 2008 team? I can name Buehrle, Vasquez, Floyd, and Danks from that rotation but can't recall who came after that.
    - There was a guy who did occasional spot starts for the team in the mid 2000's. All I remember of him is that he had these piercing green eyes that glowed like jewels when his photo went up on the jumbotron. Very impressed if anyone can identify him from that.

Comment

Originally posted by Chez View Post
      While not all these have been forgotten, most are forgettable:

Eddie Leon
      Bill Almon (the missing Almon brother)
      Bill Long
      Bill Sharp
      Bobby Colluccio
      Jay Loviglio
      Ehren Wasserman
      D.J. Carrasco
      Remember the sign in the outfield stands, "PLAY SHARP, GET THE POINT". IIRC it was an anti Pat Kelly sign as he was struggling at the time and the fans wanted Sharp to take Kelly's spot in RF.

Batting in the second position for the White Sox, number 2, the second baseman Nelson Fox.

Comment

J.C. Martin with the sox from 59-67.

Comment

My gut tells me Kelly Wunsch, Scott Schoenweiss, and Alex Cintron belong somewhere embedded in these lists as well, being fairly recent forgettables.

Comment

Kelly Wunsch once struck out 5 guys in a single inning in the minors. He's one of the few Sox players I've met and he was very nice.

Scott Schoenweiss had an amazing half-season. I remember going to a rain-soaked Schoenweiss start against the Angels where he faced off against John Lackey, the man who had beaten him for a spot in the Angels rotation. Scott dominated the Angels and easily won. Must have felt good!

Comment

Originally posted by HomeFish View Post

- Who played third base for the 2001 team after Herbert Perry went down with injury? Did they just move infielders around every game or was there some regular who I'm blanking on?
              Mostly Valentin

- Who was the #5 starter on the 2008 team? I can name Buehrle, Vasquez, Floyd, and Danks from that rotation but can't recall who came after that.
              Contreras

Comment

Many people forget Rich "Goose" Gossage started with our Sox. On a personal note, I had forgotten Ron Bloomberg had played for the befire reading Rich Lindberg's book Who's on Third?

Comment

Kelly Wunsch once struck out 5 guys in a single inning in the minors. He's one of the few Sox players I've met and he was very nice.
                  My oldest son always wears his Wunsch 65 jersey (vest style) to the ballpark and receives lots of high-fives and comments about it.

2020 Sox Attendance Tracker: 0-0
                  All-time Sox Attendance Tracker: 286-247
                  Posts on old WSI: 7344

Comment

Bill "hit man" Moran. was also a favorite. Man through the years the Sox have had some stiffs.

Comment

Working...
                    X