Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forgotten Sox Players

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Forgotten Sox Players

    MLBN is playing the game Thome hit #500. Guys i've seen in the game so far Danny Richar and Jerry Owens lol. Plus someone was wearing a Canseco jersey in the crowd haha. Who was Andy Gonzalez?
    lol

  • #2
    Originally posted by getonbckthr View Post
    MLBN is playing the game Thome hit #500. Guys i've seen in the game so far Danny Richar and Jerry Owens lol. Plus someone was wearing a Canseco jersey in the crowd haha. Who was Andy Gonzalez?
    lol
    Andy Gonzalez was a terrible reserve infielder.

    2020 Sox Attendance Tracker: 0-0
    All-time Sox Attendance Tracker: 286-247
    Posts on old WSI: 7344

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Chez View Post

      Andy Gonzalez was a terrible reserve infielder.
      Was he just a September call up? I have a pretty solid memory and I have zero recollection of this guy

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by getonbckthr View Post

        Was he just a September call up? I have a pretty solid memory and I have zero recollection of this guy
        My memory is he got called up mid-season due to a rash of injuries. And then wouldn't leave.

        2020 Sox Attendance Tracker: 0-0
        All-time Sox Attendance Tracker: 286-247
        Posts on old WSI: 7344

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Chez View Post

          My memory is he got called up mid-season due to a rash of injuries. And then wouldn't leave.
          Of course, 2007 is a very (and justifiably) forgettable season. I believe Gonzalez broke camp with the team and spent the entire season on the 25 man roster (although he may have been on the disabled list or banged up at one or two points). He made his major-league debut on April 25, pinch-running for Ron Mackowiak before taking over for him in right, and came in as a defensive replacement for Paul Konerko in the last game of the season after the Tigers grabbed an 11-3 lead. Andy Gonzalez doesn't show up in the transactions in 2007 until he was granted free agency in December. He went on to play a few games for the Indians and Marlins before finishing his career as a minor leaguer in the Sox system.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Chez View Post

            Andy Gonzalez was a terrible reserve infielder.
            Infield version of Jacob May.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by TDog View Post

              Of course, 2007 is a very (and justifiably) forgettable season. I believe Gonzalez broke camp with the team and spent the entire season on the 25 man roster (although he may have been on the disabled list or banged up at one or two points). He made his major-league debut on April 25, pinch-running for Ron Mackowiak before taking over for him in right, and came in as a defensive replacement for Paul Konerko in the last game of the season after the Tigers grabbed an 11-3 lead. Andy Gonzalez doesn't show up in the transactions in 2007 until he was granted free agency in December. He went on to play a few games for the Indians and Marlins before finishing his career as a minor leaguer in the Sox system.
              The Sox had a bunch of significant injuries that season -- Crede, Ozuna & Pods to name a few. That opened the door for Gonzalez (and others like Luis Terrero). I remember having an irrational dislike for Gonzalez. My kids still tease me about it. In 2008, my sons sponsored his Baseball Referemce.com page in my name as a joke. Gonzalez and Bryan Ward.
              Last edited by Chez; 05-11-2020, 08:36 PM.

              2020 Sox Attendance Tracker: 0-0
              All-time Sox Attendance Tracker: 286-247
              Posts on old WSI: 7344

              Comment


              • #8
                Here are several that inexplicably come to mind:

                Mike LaValliere
                Shawn Abner
                Lyle Mouton
                Tim Hulett
                Joe DeSa

                Comment


                • #9
                  Russ Morman

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Here are some from the 50s and 60s that the old timers might remember:

                    Fred Hatfield
                    Ron Jackson
                    Jim McAnany
                    Johnny Groth
                    Bobby Adams
                    Bob Boyd
                    Paul LaPalme
                    Les Moss
                    Dom Zanni
                    Cam Carreon
                    Danny Cater
                    Bill Voss
                    Gail Hopkins
                    Bob Christian
                    Ron Northey
                    Jim Brideweser

                    Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 05-12-2020, 03:47 PM.
                    Batting in the second position for the White Sox, number 2, the second baseman Nelson Fox.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Two of my favorites as a kid in the late 70's - early 80's were Alan Bannister and Bobby Molinaro

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
                        Here are some from the 50s and 60s that the old timers might remember:

                        Fred Hatfield
                        Ron Jackson
                        Jim MaAnany
                        Johnny Groth
                        Bobby Adams
                        Bob Boyd
                        Paul LaPalme
                        Les Moss
                        Dom Zanni
                        Cam Carreon
                        Danny Cater
                        Bill Voss
                        Gail Hopkins
                        Bob Christian
                        Ron Northey
                        Jim Brideweser

                        Most of these guys are before my time, but the ones who weren't bring back vivid memories.

                        For example, Bill Voss suffered a terrible injury when he was hit in the face by a pitch in a game against the Orioles. Danny Cater after leaving the Sox finished second to Carl Yastrzemski in batting average, hittng .290 for the A's. It was a trivia question in my sixth-grade school newspaper a year later. Les Moss played mostly before I was born but was a White Sox coach who was manager for two games in 1968. Gail Hopkins dropped a foul pop-up for his second error of the inning in a game in May 1969, and the next day in school I heard complaints from one of the few White Sox fans left in Munster, questioning how he could drop that pop-up with a $60 glove, which seemed a big deal at the time. A few weeks later, as my father was driving me to Minneapolis where I would spend the summer, on the banks of the Dan Ryan we heard the daytime fireworks and saw the balls of smoke. As Bob Elson explained it, Bob Christian, in his first at bat since being called up, had hit a home run to pull the Sox within two of the Orioles before the Sox fell further and further behind.

                        The White Sox were always going on in the background when I was growing up.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Gammons Peter View Post
                          Two of my favorites as a kid in the late 70's - early 80's were Alan Bannister and Bobby Molinaro
                          I liked Molinaro also, nice quick lefty bat. Bannister had that nice season in the tons of fun 77 season except he was pretty bad with the glove.
                          Batting in the second position for the White Sox, number 2, the second baseman Nelson Fox.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by LITTLE NELL View Post

                            I liked Molinaro also, nice quick lefty bat. Bannister had that nice season in the tons of fun 77 season except he was pretty bad with the glove.
                            I liked Molinaro too. I thought he was one of the better players on some really bad Sox teams. I just looked up his stats, and he put up a .730 OPS for the Sox, walked more than he struck out, and was an efficient base stealer.

                            He ended up with a career bWAR of only 0.7 — a product of being good for the Sox and bad everywhere else, and being a corner outfielder without much power.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              While not all these have been forgotten, most are forgettable:

                              Eddie Leon
                              Bill Almon (the missing Almon brother)
                              Bill Long
                              Bill Sharp
                              Bobby Colluccio
                              Jay Loviglio
                              Ehren Wasserman
                              D.J. Carrasco


                              2020 Sox Attendance Tracker: 0-0
                              All-time Sox Attendance Tracker: 286-247
                              Posts on old WSI: 7344

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X