Mark Buehrle Was Baseball's Speedrunner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Buehrle Was Baseball's Speedrunner

Interesting video about Mark's speed and how it compares to today.

Back in the old days when Mark Buehrle was pitching ....

Comparing Buehrle to active pitchers isn't so different from comparing Buehrle to pitchers who were active when he was pitching. It would be unfair to compare him to Jim Kaat. In 1974, at age 35, he finished the season with five complete-game wins. The longest was 2:21, but three of the games were under two hours, including the last game of the season, which lasted 1:40. It might have been quicker if the Sox hadn't committed two errors, including the one that brought home the only Royals run.

Of course, a strike zone that gave the pitchers room to work, giving them a chance to pitch to weak contact, helped Kaat pitch quickly. Buehrle's strike zone was smaller, pitchers were getting that the last couple of seasons. Buehrle had less margin for error than Kaat did. While I credit Kaat for pitching as well as he did as long as he did, often starting on three days' rest, what Buehrle was able to do for as long as he did was truly amazing given gis smaller strike zone.

If you want a quicker-paced game, if you want pitchers to work quicker, you could move the game along at a better pace by giving pitchers more strike zone to work with than by arbitrarily requiring slow-working pitchers to face at least three hitters.

Comment

Originally posted by TDog View Post

If you want a quicker-paced game, if you want pitchers to work quicker, you could move the game along at a better pace by giving pitchers more strike zone to work with than by arbitrarily requiring slow-working pitchers to face at least three hitters.
      Completely agree.

2020 Sox Attendance Tracker: 0-0
      All-time Sox Attendance Tracker: 286-247
      Posts on old WSI: 7344

Comment

Another video about Mark - this one breaking down the end of his perfect game.

Comment

The first regular-season game I attended in that magical 2005 campaign was Buehrle's 99-minute masterpiece. Three hits (all of them by Ichiro), twelve strikeouts (Mark's career-high), and two HR by Konerko the only Sox scoring. The only run by the Mariners was enabled by a fan interference call, turning what should have been an Ichiro ground-rule double into a triple (followed by an infield ground-out) in the 9th-inning (still remember being irked that Beuhrle was robbed of the CG shutout). I didn't realize until now that this was the shortest MLB game in the last 35 years...
          My man Vincent says:

"Gogh Gogh White Sox!"

Comment

Working...
          X