*Official* 9/2 Out of First Postgamer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *Official* 9/2 Out of First Postgamer

As bad as it's been all season. Fortunately, we're only one game out, but some decisions about the staff need to be made.

4-8 against the Twins and Indians.

Comment

Originally posted by Mohoney View Post
      4-8 against the Twins and Indians.
      That’s one black eye they need a steak for. Gotta start thumping on those perennial pains in the ass if they want to put some space between them in the division.

BK59

Comment

Going into this season, few of us thought the Sox were a first place team in this division in 2020.

Minnesota had better hitting and Cleveland had better pitching.

This is not yet a finished product. Stay the course.

Comment

We all knew pitching would be questionable this season, but the hitting is too inconsistent. However, I always thought 2021 was going to be where they start to press for the post season, and I'm not wavering from that.

Comment

A cocky White Sox team got schooled by a superior Twins squad. The Sox and Sox fans alike have gotten high off the thrill of beating up KC and Pittsburgh and deluded themselves, along with many journalists. Now Nelson Cruz, Buxton, and others have shown the world that the Sox are not yet ready to threaten the elite of the AL.

Something must be done to improve this team before 2021.
            "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
            -- Thucydides

Comment

Originally posted by HomeFish View Post
              A cocky White Sox team got schooled by a superior Twins squad. The Sox and Sox fans alike have gotten high off the thrill of beating up KC and Pittsburgh and deluded themselves, along with many journalists. Now Nelson Cruz, Buxton, and others have shown the world that the Sox are not yet ready to threaten the elite of the AL.

Something must be done to improve this team before 2021.
              Deluded ourselves in what way, exactly? They are a playoff team this year. I think that was the hope when they announced the expanded playoffs and unless they entirely **** the bed the next 3+ weeks they will be in the playoffs. So, where's the delusion?

Comment

Originally posted by soxfanatlanta View Post
                We all knew pitching would be questionable this season, but the hitting is too inconsistent. However, I always thought 2021 was going to be where they start to press for the post season, and I'm not wavering from that.
                Pitching was definitely part of the difference last night. We didn't come up with much against Berrios last night. And our pitching wasn't even close. Throw in the comically bad defense that was on display, and there you have it.

Speaking of that defense, Benetti said something about Moncada giving up the ball too early on the run-down because he didn't want to chase with his bad legs. If that's the case, then Moncada should not be out there. I was surprised to see him, personally. I think he should sit until after the Pirates next week. Yolmer and Mendick are solid at 3rd, and given how Yoan is hitting of late, they can do at least that much. Rest him and let him heal. Not doing the Sox or Moncada any good to keep running him out there at 75%.

As for the hitting, I agree. Home runs are sexy, but they also need to be able to string hits together, move runners, and score without hits. We do that sometimes, but not enough. There needs to be more taking what the pitcher is giving, so sometimes you push a base hit to the opposite side instead of waiting for a pitch to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Kobo View Post

Deluded ourselves in what way, exactly? They are a playoff team this year. I think that was the hope when they announced the expanded playoffs and unless they entirely **** the bed the next 3+ weeks they will be in the playoffs. So, where's the delusion?
                  Dude the Sox lost two in a row and fell one game out of first so it's time to freak out...

Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

This game, series, season series against the Twins...it all feeds into my greatest fear about this team and more importantly this management. We don't lose this series if the team goes out and gets a pitcher before the deadline. We don't lose any of these series if the team went out and bought an ace in the offseason. For as great a rebuild it has been, it doesn't come together without spending whatever you need to to take that next step. The White Sox were both unwilling to pay that price in dollars and in trade-able assets.

I'm not big on the Atlanta Braves. A lot of people think that's nuts. But to me they don't have the pitching. I think they'll win that division every year and still come up short. I think that if they faced a division rival in the playoffs, even though they're a better team, they'll lose every time. Because they don't have the pitching. And they're not willing to do what's necessary to get that pitching.

We've got the Royals next. We'll win the series, run off an impressive streak, maybe even retake first place for a while. But it won't matter. We know what this team is as constructed. We know we're not a contender.

Comment

Hopefully, experience and good coaching will help with some of the issues with certain players swinging at bad pitches. However, Lopez is not what we hoped. We need two good pitches; one to replace Lopez and a decent 5th. Hopefully, Kopech can fill one of these roles.
                      Also, we need a good RFer. Mazara is just not hitting and doesn't even look good at the plate too many times.
                      The Sox also have to get a good training program for Moncada. He seems to pull something in his legs every year. Maybe he's too muscular. I don't know but maybe there is some stretching he should be doing year around. Regardless, he needs to stay healthy.
                      DH can be handled next season with what we have already between Abreu, McCann, Grandal, and Vaughn if ready.
                      And of course, we must extend McCann.

Comment

I wanted going into this season to give Lopez until at least the trade deadline (when we thought this was a full season during the winter) to see if he could take the next step and possibly be a mid to back end starter for this team moving forward. I liked his durability, improved K/BB ratio and ability to throw gems almost every other start. That was the Lopez that was 95-99 MPH, the current guy that's 92-95 has no business being even in the bullpen. If he can't regain his velocity, he honestly isn't even a major leaguer. Not sure when he'll get a shot again because he will certainly be not counted on for starts next season. He should be shut down for the rest of the season and then see where he is at in ST next year. He should start in the minors, and if he regains his velocity to '18-19 levels, then he can be the 7th SP option.

Not really worried about dropping 2 to the Twins honestly, at least in terms of the future. The Sox FO didn't want to go for it this season, and I don't blame them. The team is going to be in the playoffs already, and guaranteed just a 3 game series with no fans. I'm not concerned at all about them filling the holes at RF and SP when the time comes this offseason or next trade deadline. They've always been aggressive in the trade market when they think the timing is right.

Comment

Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
                          Going into this season, few of us thought the Sox were a first place team in this division in 2020.

Minnesota had better hitting and Cleveland had better pitching.

This is not yet a finished product. Stay the course.
                          Staying the course doesn’t mean doubling down on failed personnel decisions like EE, Mazara, Lopez, Rodon and Renteria.

EE could be released today and replaced by Vaughn or a Collins/McCann/Grandal rotation. Mazara should be benched for Engel and have to earn his time back in reserve duty. Lopez should be demoted to mopup duty. Flores and Stiever should be allowed to compete on equal terms with Rodon for a spot.

Renteria, unfortunately, we’re stuck with until the offseason.

Comment

Yeah with the lack of accountability in this organization, I'm not sure RR would even be fired if they missed the playoffs in 2021.
                            "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
                            -- Thucydides

Comment

Originally posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
                              ...........The Sox FO didn't want to go for it this season, and I don't blame them......
                              I agree but hopefully Hahn is taking good notes and figuring out what he has to do in the off season. MN and Cleveland are better than us at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                              X