LaRussa Health Update update: Expected to retire 10/3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LaRussa Health Update update: Expected to retire 10/3

LaRussa confirms he had a pacemaker implanted. It is still uncertain when he will be cleared to manage, but is flying back to Chicago with the team after today's game.

https://twitter.com/JanieMcCAP/statu...49633799962629

Well, the pacemaker would seem to rule out the conspiracy theories. Needing a pacemaker would also explain why, before his absence, he often appeared tired.

Lets all hope he recovers fully.

Comment

https://www.mlb.com/news/tony-la-rus...te-sox-in-2022

Would probably be better for all concerned if he took a less stressful consulting job with the Sox.

Comment

Originally posted by FielderJones View Post
        https://www.mlb.com/news/tony-la-rus...te-sox-in-2022

Would probably be better for all concerned if he took a less stressful consulting job with the Sox.
        And that would be a face-saving measure for all involved; nobody was fired, nobody quit, just got bumped upstairs. That works, if they go that route.

Comment

The Score 670 had some interesting discussion on the Tony situation. The official statement had the usual statements about medical clearance needed for TLR to return as manager. But it also said the organization needs to approve the return. I thought bug deal, Jerry would approve this in a second and Williams/Hahn would have no say. But The Score discussed that possibly the Sox lawyers may get involved about their liability of allowing a recently released heart patient back into a stress filled job.

Also, they discussed quotes from several players. It was apparent that Cairo gave them "both barrels" in his introductory speech to the team. One player said that they were told if they don't want to play hard, then get the &*%$ out.

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
            The Score 670 had some interesting discussion on the Tony situation. The official statement had the usual statements about medical clearance needed for TLR to return as manager. But it also said the organization needs to approve the return. I thought bug deal, Jerry would approve this in a second and Williams/Hahn would have no say. But The Score discussed that possibly the Sox lawyers may get involved about their liability of allowing a recently released heart patient back into a stress filled job.

Also, they discussed quotes from several players. It was apparent that Cairo gave them "both barrels" in his introductory speech to the team. One player said that they were told if they don't want to play hard, then get the &*%$ out.
            Yea, I read that about Miguel Cairo, and it sure sounds like he got everyone either fired up, or at least thinking that they have to get with the plan . sounds like just what the doctor ordered to me.

Also, apparently people with pacemakers lead fairly normal lives, but i've read countless times, how over the top upset, LaRussa gets when his team loses . under that amount of stress, I feel like something could happen . no one wants to see him collapse on the field of play.

Comment

Originally posted by Harwar View Post

Yea, I read that about Miguel Cairo, and it sure sounds like he got everyone either fired up, or at least thinking that they have to get with the plan . sounds like just what the doctor ordered to me.

Also, apparently people with pacemakers lead fairly normal lives, but i've read countless times, how over the top upset, LaRussa gets when his team loses . under that amount of stress, I feel like something could happen . no one wants to see him collapse on the field of play.
              It's too bad we had to wait until the season is almost over to ignite the Sox and get them focused. Of course, injuries haven't been kind to us either.

Comment

Originally posted by Harwar View Post

I've had a pace maker for ~ 17 yrs, on my 2nd one. The battery is good for ~ 10yrs and the pace maker needs to be replaced. I am more active now then I was 20 yrs ago.

Comment

Interesting article on the Athletic this morning from Ken Rosenthal basically asking Tony LaRussa to step aside. Some of the tidbits covered:
                  • Cairo wanted to give his team speech earlier, but didn't feel empowered to do so with LaRussa still there
                  • The emphasis on hits and contact over patience and power came from LaRussa, not Menechino
                  • LaRussa's relationships with his coaching staff is more authoritative than collaborative, which is an outlier in this decade of MLB
                  It's well worth a read if you have a subscription.

https://theathletic.com/3593415/2022...anager-future/

Comment

Originally posted by notjimrose View Post
                    Interesting article on the Athletic this morning from Ken Rosenthal basically asking Tony LaRussa to step aside. Some of the tidbits covered:
                    • Cairo wanted to give his team speech earlier, but didn't feel empowered to do so with LaRussa still there
                    • The emphasis on hits and contact over patience and power came from LaRussa, not Menechino
                    • LaRussa's relationships with his coaching staff is more authoritative than collaborative, which is an outlier in this decade of MLB

Wow! Assuming these statements/sentiments are true, I have to imagine numerous Sox insiders are sources for this column.

Comment

It was a "spot-on" analysis and hopefully LaRussa steps aside. He is not building upon his legacy by doing a poor job managing our team.

Comment

It just validates the fact the most everything that went south this season is because Tony LaRussa is the manager.

Comment

Everything that has come out recently about LaRussa's approach compared to Cairo's is not surprising. I said it a few weeks ago, teams are a reflection of their manager. This team went from being an exciting energetic bunch to a team that looked lethargic and going through the motions. That's on Tony.

I hope he gets healthy and is ok going forward, but I also hope the owner of this team sees what is going on and does what is best for the team and not his friend.

Comment

Very good article. It angers me as a fan to read (and see for myself) how the season has been pissed away by JR's insistence on hiring a washed up close personal friend to manage a team entering what's supposed to be its prime contention window.

I'm sure my comment will draw some replies from some fans saying that this is all on the players and TLR isn't responsible for their lackluster play. All I can say to that is bull****! Managers DO make a difference in their leadership skills and can make a difference as to whether a team overperforms or underperforms.

What a waste of talent and a waste of a rebuild this team has been. Now they're stuck scrambling to play catch up with September already half over.

Can't wait to hear the FO say they can't spend $$$ this offseason due to lack of ticket sales.

Comment

Originally posted by GoSoxMMV View Post

Very good article. It angers me as a fan to read (and see for myself) how the season has been pissed away by JR's insistence on hiring a washed up close personal friend to manage a team entering what's supposed to be its prime contention window.

I'm sure my comment will draw some replies from some fans saying that this is all on the players and TLR isn't responsible for their lackluster play. All I can say to that is bull****! Managers DO make a difference in their leadership skills and can make a difference as to whether a team overperforms or underperforms.

What a waste of talent and a waste of a rebuild this team has been. Now they're stuck scrambling to play catch up with September already half over.

Can't wait to hear the FO say they can't spend $$$ this offseason due to lack of ticket sales.
                              Some fans may be upset with performance of some or even most of the players but in the poll I posted a few weeks ago, not a single person voted to bring TLR back next year. That’s as damning an indictment of his efforts this year as I can think of. Heck even Grandal got one vote…
                              Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

Working...
                              X