Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8/24 I Started the Post-Game Thread and Didn't Know It.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8/24 I Started the Post-Game Thread and Didn't Know It.

Wow, the Sox win a game, blow up the singles can't win narrative, Giolito pitches lights out, and not only is there no postgame thread, but the gameday thread is minimalist. Where is everybody when things go well?

I think we are all in shock at the way they won that game...There indeed were some great moments. The double play by Moncada was incredible...

Comment

Sheets has got a nice stroke going, looks confident at the plate. Not a plus defender in RF, but doesn't look scared out there either. Can't forget Jose doing what he does best. Last night in the 8th, tonight the 7th.
      Ah, you can't beat fun at the old ball park.

Comment

Blind squirrel; meet nut: With last night’s win, the Sox improve to 2-48 (0-2 in postseason) since 2017 when held without an XBH.

Comment

Originally posted by FielderJones View Post
          Wow, the Sox win a game, blow up the singles can't win narrative, Giolito pitches lights out, and not only is there no postgame thread, but the gameday thread is minimalist. Where is everybody when things go well?
          Let's not get ahead of ourselves with the blowing up the narrative bit. Including this win, the Sox are 2-48 (including the 2021 postseason) when held without an extra base hit since 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by notjimrose View Post

Let's not get ahead of ourselves with the blowing up the narrative bit. Including this win, the Sox are 2-48 (including the 2021 postseason) when held without an extra base hit since 2017.
            Always good to win but these guys are the biggest tease to come down the pike in awhile. I'm done getting excited, maybe when they win 8 games in a row and can beat Kansas City.
            That 2-48 stat is amazing, I wonder if the hitting coach has seen it.
            Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

Comment

Originally posted by notjimrose View Post

Gosh, in games where the Sox don't hit well, they usually lose. Who knew? That must be Menechino's fault. I'm only saying that it's obvious and doesn't mean a hell of a lot.
              Ah, you can't beat fun at the old ball park.

Comment

Originally posted by LITTLE NELL View Post

Always good to win but these guys are the biggest tease to come down the pike in awhile. I'm done getting excited, maybe when they win 8 games in a row and can beat Kansas City.
                That 2-48 stat is amazing, I wonder if the hitting coach has seen it.
                I thought I was watching a grainy old real of the 1919 Sox with all of the pepper and base path magic. Joe Jackson Sheets with a clutch bowling alley 7-10 up the middle was a real eye rubber. Yes, these guys are the biggest tease since the window dressing in Amsterdam.

I don’t know what it is when they play the Royals, or in fact those old KC A’s, but for the life of me they always seem to step in a cow pie when they need to get the job done.

Yup, 8 straight would be nice. In fact might wash away a lot of the stink from this season.

BK59

Comment

I went to the game yesterday. For some reason, I had a feeling that Giolito would have a good game. Spare crowd, and my first time seeing that strange LF configuration, the anti-Aaron Judge/Vlad Guerrero setup. I left after the top 7th with the score 3-1, feeling confident. Of course, I missed the biggest play of the game but Kasper captured the moment on radio as I was driving home. Kudos to Sheets in a homecoming game for him.
                  (Formerly asindc.)

"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." — George Orwell

Comment

No matter what, it's just really enjoyable when they play like they are a really good team . would be nice to have more games like that, but what can you do.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzyCyclist View Post
                      I went to the game yesterday. For some reason, I had a feeling that Giolito would have a good game. Spare crowd, and my first time seeing that strange LF configuration, the anti-Aaron Judge/Vlad Guerrero setup. I left after the top 7th with the score 3-1, feeling confident. Of course, I missed the biggest play of the game but Kasper captured the moment on radio as I was driving home. Kudos to Sheets in a homecoming game for him.
                      I love what the orioles did in left field. I would think that any new park should be built so the fences are movable to cater to the type of team. I remember when the Sox put up cyclone fences in old Sox park.

if my memory is correct Danny Murphy’s only homer was over the right field cyclone fence.
                      Last edited by Noneck; 08-25-2022, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
                        Blind squirrel; meet nut: With last night’s win, the Sox improve to 2-48 (0-2 in postseason) since 2017 when held without an XBH.
                        I am still baffled by this team's lack of power. I get the new ball PROBABLY accounts for some of the lack of homers (especially to the opposite field) but you'd figure a few of them would have at least been doubles.

Comment

Originally posted by Noneck View Post

I love what the orioles did in left field. I would think that any new park should be built so the fences are movable to cater to the type of team. I remember when the Sox put up cyclone fences in old Sox park.

if my memory is correct Danny Murphy’s only homer was over the right field cyclone fence.
                          Ah the days when The Palace was turned into a softball field.

Comment

Originally posted by Noneck View Post

Veeck wanted to put in moveable fences, with the intention of changing the dimensions from series to series; moving them out when the Yankees were in town, moving them in when it would be to the Sox' advantage. The league slapped him down, told him that whatever the dimensions were on opening day had to be the dimensions for the whole season.

I'd love to see someone build a park that was 360 down the lines and 440 to center, and build a team around speed and defense. But I know that will never happen, because bombs, baby!

Comment

Originally posted by Nellie Fox View Post

I'd love to see someone build a park that was 360 down the lines and 440 to center, and build a team around speed and defense. But I know that will never happen, because bombs, baby!
                              My thinking is building a team around what type of players are available and the teams available resources. If a team decides to funnel a lot of resources in pitching it may only be able to get position players with speed and defensive skills. At that time the fences would be moved back. Having a team with power would shrink the field. It’s easier to have a park that can be adjusted to fit the team than to create a team year after year to fit a park.
                              Last edited by Noneck; 08-25-2022, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X