Stone calls out Sox baserunning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stone calls out Sox baserunning

Steve Stone doesn't think the Sox know how to run the bases and that they are lazy running to first base on hits.

I thought this is how the Sox are going to "Change the game"? I thought this is the way the new generation of players play the game?

Anyone who watches the Sox knows who he is talking about or has a good idea who dogs it on a regular basis.

https://sports.yahoo.com/steve-stone...2.html?src=rss

And many of the these mistakes are made by experienced players not the youngsters. So this problem is a lot deeper than the lack of minor league training.

Comment

Watching Cleveland go all out to first on everything, and looking for two until the defense stopped them, really put a spotlight on the Sox jogging to first the way they do.

Comment

There is no doubt that the team has issues, there is no excuse for not hustling especially with the money these guys are making. I got called out a couple of weeks ago for calling one of our guys lazy, Stone is calling almost the whole team as being lazy, you have to be blind not to see what's going on. Whose to blame for this, well it has to go to the manager and coaches, why they haven't addressed these issues is a mystery to me. Why hasn't the front office done something, except for KW who said something to the players a couple weeks ago they have been as quiet as a library. They have 2 months left to go and someone is going to have read these guys the riot act and hope they respond, the division is there waiting for the Sox to take it.
        Yesterday’s loss really hurt, it would have been so much better coming home only 2 games out and 2 games over .500, we have to hope they bounce back after a tough loss.
        If we keep seeing more of the same for remainder of the season it wouldn't surprise me at all to see the front office re-evaluate some guys and the team re-tooled in the off season.
        Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 07-28-2022, 06:00 PM.
        Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

Comment

Originally posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
          If we keep seeing more of the same for remainder of the season it wouldn't surprise me at all to see the front office re-evaluate some guys and the team re-tooled in the off season.
          Unless on a miracle they go deep in the playoffs, I sure as heck hope they do.

Comment

Originally posted by Nellie Fox View Post
            Watching Cleveland go all out to first on everything, and looking for two until the defense stopped them, really put a spotlight on the Sox jogging to first the way they do.
            The Rays have made the most outs running the base paths this year than any other team in MLB but it's more because they are aggressive and hustle on every play, every ground ball hit to an opposing infielder always winds up as a close play at first base with some runners beating the throws.

Comment

There is no doubt that the team has issues, there is no excuse for not hustling especially with the money these guys are making. I got called out a couple of weeks ago for calling one of our guys lazy, Stone is calling almost the whole team as being lazy, you have to be blind not to see what's going on. Whose to blame for this, well it has to go to the manager and coaches, why they haven't addressed these issues is a mystery to me. Why hasn't the front office done something, except for KW who said something to the players a couple weeks ago they have been as quiet as a library. They have 2 months left to go and someone is going to have read these guys the riot act and hope they respond, the division is there waiting for the Sox to take it.
              I don't think TLR can do much. With all the injuries throughout the year the players know they won't be benched because there isn't anyone to take their place in the line-up.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulwny View Post

I don't think TLR can do much. With all the injuries throughout the year the players know they won't be benched because there isn't anyone to take their place in the line-up.
                You are probably right but TLR has been the biggest problem of them all. He needs to go.

Comment

Who's the baserunning coach? (Rhetorical question) Point the finger there.
                  If it's up put it down. If it's down put it up.

Comment

If the leaders on the team don't hustle, why would anyone expect the other players to hustle?

Comment

If the manager tells players with a history of leg injuries in the current season not to push really hard on every routine grounder should the players ignore the manager?
                      Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

You are probably right but TLR has been the biggest problem of them all. He needs to go.
                        Agreed but the biggest problem is Reinsdorf while TLR is the second biggest. Unfortunately, the #1 problem loves the #2 problem. So we're screwed.

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post

Agreed but the biggest problem is Reinsdorf while TLR is the second biggest. Unfortunately, the #1 problem loves the #2 problem. So we're screwed.
                          Yup, the Bogey and Bacall shenanigans leaves us holding the steaming cow chip.

BK59

Comment

Originally posted by voodoochile View Post
                            If the manager tells players with a history of leg injuries in the current season not to push really hard on every routine grounder should the players ignore the manager?
                            Thank you. Busting it down to first on routine grounders when you have a history of leg and/or hamstring problems seems foolish - but it certainly would be ultra grindy.

2022 Sox Attendance Tracker: 4-6
                            All-time Sox Attendance Tracker: 304-259
                            Posts on old WSI: 7344

Comment

Originally posted by Chez View Post

Thank you. Busting it down to first on routine grounders when you have a history of leg and/or hamstring problems seems foolish - but it certainly would be ultra grindy.
                              This team has always been built to be a power hitting team, not a grind it out squad. Yes there are times to bust hard all the way, but the Sox aren't built to be a slap hitting team and shouldn't play that way.
                              Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

Working...
                              X