Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Last Comiskey

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Last Comiskey

    Not sure how public this is, but enjoy. My all time favorite player and it was a gift getting to watch him. I cannot wait until this is released.
    Last edited by 34rancher; 07-27-2022, 09:08 AM.

  • #2
    Great clip, I still say that Fisk would have been a great manager.
    I met him in 1999 when I was working in the Pro Shop at the Naples Beach Hotel and Golf Club, we talked White Sox baseball for a few minutes. Told him the the only foul ball I ever nabbed at a ballgame was off his bat at the first night game at new Comiskey in 1991.
    Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 07-27-2022, 10:33 AM.
    Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
      Great clip, I still say that Fisk would have been a great manager.
      Always loved Pudge. Shame he couldn’t win it all in 83. Yes, has the big brain to lead a battalion, but unfortunately I think the old school in him would be a thorn in the Dupa to those not as “in to the game” as him.

      BK59

      Comment


      • #4
        Can't wait to see this. That 1990 team was really fun to watch. Loved seeing Radinsky's wallpaper.
        Last edited by Chez; 07-27-2022, 10:48 AM.

        2022 Sox Attendance Tracker: 4-6
        All-time Sox Attendance Tracker: 304-259
        Posts on old WSI: 7344

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by BigKlu59 View Post

          Always loved Pudge. Shame he couldn’t win it all in 83. Yes, has the big brain to lead a battalion, but unfortunately I think the old school in him would be a thorn in the Dupa to those not as “in to the game” as him.

          BK59
          I was thinking the same thing, who can forget when he got all over Deion Sanders for not hustling on a pop up, and he was on the other the team. I don't think he'd appreciate some of antics of a few of our guys this year.
          Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 07-27-2022, 04:20 PM.
          Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

          Comment


          • #6
            If the 2022 White Sox had the heart and the balls of the 1990 team- we'd be in 1st place by 5-8 games.

            Loved that team- Torborg was a brilliant manager that season- the long losing streak in 1991 cost him his job- and led to Gene Lemont- not a fan of his.
            #1 White Sox fan in Leland, MI

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by StanBahnsen72 View Post
              If the 2022 White Sox had the heart and the balls of the 1990 team- we'd be in 1st place by 5-8 games.

              Loved that team- Torborg was a brilliant manager that season- the long losing streak in 1991 cost him his job- and led to Gene Lemont- not a fan of his.
              I'd take Toborg 100000000x and Gene Lamont 40000x more than Terry Bevington.....WORST MANAGER EVER....

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by StanBahnsen72 View Post
                If the 2022 White Sox had the heart and the balls of the 1990 team- we'd be in 1st place by 5-8 games.
                I will never cease to be incredibly irritated by statements like this.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Tommy John View Post

                  I will never cease to be incredibly irritated by statements like this.
                  Just curious why it bothers you so much.
                  Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by LITTLE NELL View Post

                    Just curious why it bothers you so much.
                    Yeah- me too. That 1990 team played with heart all the way to the end- they played harder in a late September series at Fenway (after they had been eliminated) than the 2022 White Sox have all season. The 2022 White Sox have been publicly called out for lack of hustle, lack of intensity, etc. more than any team I can remember in my 50 years as a fan.
                    #1 White Sox fan in Leland, MI

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      "Intensity" in baseball is overrated. You can't run through a wall to get on base.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by KenBerryGrab View Post
                        "Intensity" in baseball is overrated. You can't run through a wall to get on base.
                        When I mention "intensity"- I'm referring to physical intensity- like busting it down the 1st baseline to beat the throw to first, or busting it to 2nd to avoid a double play, or going all out on defense to prevent a runner from going another 90 feet, I'm also referring to mental intensity (and focus) to avoid mental mistakes like 8-5 triple plays, or tagging a runner with your glove while the ball is in your throwing hand, or trotting home from 3rd and your run not counting because your teammate was thrown out at 2nd base.

                        I believe those things really matter- and are the difference between winning teams and "also rans".
                        #1 White Sox fan in Leland, MI

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by StanBahnsen72 View Post

                          When I mention "intensity"- I'm referring to physical intensity- like busting it down the 1st baseline to beat the throw to first, or busting it to 2nd to avoid a double play, or going all out on defense to prevent a runner from going another 90 feet, I'm also referring to mental intensity (and focus) to avoid mental mistakes like 8-5 triple plays, or tagging a runner with your glove while the ball is in your throwing hand, or trotting home from 3rd and your run not counting because your teammate was thrown out at 2nd base.

                          I believe those things really matter- and are the difference between winning teams and "also rans".
                          You get to wear the Kluinator Belt for that passage of prose. Job well done!!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by BigKlu59 View Post

                            You get to wear the Kluinator Belt for that passage of prose. Job well done!!
                            I am honored!
                            #1 White Sox fan in Leland, MI

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by StanBahnsen72 View Post

                              When I mention "intensity"- I'm referring to physical intensity- like busting it down the 1st baseline to beat the throw to first, or busting it to 2nd to avoid a double play, or going all out on defense to prevent a runner from going another 90 feet, I'm also referring to mental intensity (and focus) to avoid mental mistakes like 8-5 triple plays, or tagging a runner with your glove while the ball is in your throwing hand, or trotting home from 3rd and your run not counting because your teammate was thrown out at 2nd base.

                              I believe those things really matter- and are the difference between winning teams and "also rans".
                              Amen. Too bad this year's version of the White Sox lack intensity. And their manager does nothing to discourage this. In fact, I think he enables this team to go through the motions by encouraging players to not bust it down the line on a routine grounder. His philosophy is it's a long season and we're going to need you down the stretch. There seems to be no sense of urgency even though there are only 50+ games left. This is just one of the disturbing tendencies I see on this year's club. You can have all the talent in the world, but if you fail to go out and give 100% everyday the results will be disappointing.

                              Pete Rose is an example of a player with limited talent who gave his all every game, on every play. Did you ever seem him slack off or dog it down to first? With his limited talent he became baseball's hit king and was an All-Star at five different positions. Not bad for a skinny 18-year-old kid out of Western Hills high school in Ohio who willed his way into the big leagues by sheer dedication, effort and intensity - every game.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X