Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Second Half

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Second Half

    So figured we could start a new general thread for the second half of the season to talk about things that aren't specificall game related but focused on the day to day running of the Sox.

    Assuming the team comes back healthy after the break (Eloy, LouBob and Yas all available), what's the lineup going to look like?

    TA SS
    Yoan 3B
    LouBob CF
    Abreu 1B
    Grandal C
    Eloy LF
    Vaughn/Sheets DH
    Sheets/Pollock RF
    Harrison 2B

    It's a bit of a pickle where to bat these guys. Dropping Vaughn down that far seem odd, but it's a heck of a problem to have. On days Eloy is DH, Vaughn or Pollock plays LF.

    I know.... I know... expecting them all to be healthy seems like a long shot, but for the first time we are talking injuries whose length is measured in days not weeks or months. Barring another setback this will be the players available by sometime early next week latest.

    The first 4 seem set in stone unless someone really falls off. 5-8 seem more flexible and of course Grandal can't catch every single game so Seby/McGuire will bat 8th when Grandal is getting a day off or DH.

    I can't recall a time I've ever felt better about a 1-9 lineup. More so since Harrison found his stroke the last month. That's 1-8 with 800 OPS potential and most of those guys have .850+ OPS potential.
    Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...




  • #2
    I’d slot Vaughn after Abreu; Grandal and Eloy have proven nothing this year (Yes, I realize they were injured).

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by EstreetSox View Post
      I’d slot Vaughn after Abreu; Grandal and Eloy have proven nothing this year (Yes, I realize they were injured).
      Agree- Eloy has been an impact bat since 2020- I'm not planting him in LF necessarily.

      Between his defense and his recent production at the plate- I like Engel more in the mix in the outfield.
      #1 White Sox fan in Leland, MI

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by StanBahnsen72 View Post

        Between his defense and his recent production at the plate- I like Engel more in the mix in the outfield.
        This is how i feel also, especially if he keeps hitting.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Harwar View Post

          This is how i feel also, especially if he keeps hitting.
          Looking at the turf sheet you gotta put money down on this stud. Eloy is a wildcard but his problem is he always seems to find the rut coming out of the backstretch. Go with what’s working and play out the string. Having Eloy in your pocket ain’t a bad thing. Let’s hope the lineament rubs are behind him.

          BK59

          Comment


          • #6
            It will be interesting to see how they handle Grandal. He hasn't been catching much in his rehab, but it looks like the swing is back because he has been hitting. He might end up being the DH more often than not.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Kobo View Post
              It will be interesting to see how they handle Grandal. He hasn't been catching much in his rehab, but it looks like the swing is back because he has been hitting. He might end up being the DH more often than not.
              Hmm...I was kind of hoping Eloy could be a DH rehabbing to have Robert-Engel-Pollock in the OF. All I know is that Jose is the rock of this team and TA is the catalyst. It's honestly refreshing seeing the system working with Burger, Zavala, etc. all making contributions and helping out. Let's just get on a roll and win this thing....

              Comment


              • #8
                I want Vaughn getting as many plate appearances as possible. I do not want him buried in the 7th slot. I know someone will start firing statistics at me, but the lefty-righty adherences drives me nuts. How can a hitter develop if only sees certain pitchers? Good hitters are good hitters. I believe Vaughn can become a premiere hitter, but he must see as many ABs from as many different pitchers as possible.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
                  I want Vaughn getting as many plate appearances as possible. I do not want him buried in the 7th slot. I know someone will start firing statistics at me, but the lefty-righty adherences drives me nuts. How can a hitter develop if only sees certain pitchers? Good hitters are good hitters. I believe Vaughn can become a premiere hitter, but he must see as many ABs from as many different pitchers as possible.
                  I actually agree, but figured they'd want to bust up a string of RHP with Grandal after Abreu. I agree Vaughn should be hitting higher, but I don't see the top 4 changing and not sure it should. At least it's a good problem to have, right? OH NO we have too many good hitters...
                  Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...



                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by voodoochile View Post
                    I actually agree, but figured they'd want to bust up a string of RHP with Grandal after Abreu. I agree Vaughn should be hitting higher, but I don't see the top 4 changing and not sure it should. At least it's a good problem to have, right? OH NO we have too many good hitters...
                    The fact that Vaughn makes pretty good contact with generally high exit velocity means he’s likely to hit his way on base and there’s a good chance it will go for extra bases. We’d like more of his contact to reach the seats but even if it stays in the park it’s a good thing for him to have runners on base to drive in. So putting high OBP batters - those likely to take a walk - ahead of him will give him more RBI opportunities.

                    I’m not terribly concerned about the exact lineup order; I just don’t want an empirically bad hitter like Leury batting before or immediately after him. Therefore, lead off with TA, mix and match 2-7 as needed, Pollock/Engel eighth, Harrison/Leury 9th.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post

                      The fact that Vaughn makes pretty good contact with generally high exit velocity means he’s likely to hit his way on base and there’s a good chance it will go for extra bases. We’d like more of his contact to reach the seats but even if it stays in the park it’s a good thing for him to have runners on base to drive in. So putting high OBP batters - those likely to take a walk - ahead of him will give him more RBI opportunities.

                      I’m not terribly concerned about the exact lineup order; I just don’t want an empirically bad hitter like Leury batting before or immediately after him. Therefore, lead off with TA, mix and match 2-7 as needed, Pollock/Engel eighth, Harrison/Leury 9th.
                      We may not all agree about the exact batting order except for one point, and that is Leury should not be anywhere near the top of the batting order. However, Tony probably doesn't agree.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by longtimefan View Post

                        We may not all agree about the exact batting order except for one point, and that is Leury should not be anywhere near the top of the batting order. However, Tony probably doesn't agree.
                        Leury has a grand total of 36 AB either hitting 1st 2nd or 3rd this year. He has 229 total AB. 168 are in the 7-9 slots.
                        Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...



                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Five Thirty Eight today released updated playoff odds, and their model likes our chances in the division.

                          The biggest factor in their formula is that until now, the Sox have played the fifth toughest schedule, while the Twins have had the 30th toughest (easiest) schedule. Moving forward, the Sox have what appears to be the easiest schedule, while that Twins have the 13th toughest (middle of the pack).

                          As a result, the Sox have a 46% chance to win the division; the Twins are at 36%, and the Guardians are at 18%.

                          Winning this upcoming 4-game weekend home series against Cleveland would be helpful.
                          With the All-Star Game and its many festivities (go Juan Soto!) in the rearview mirror, MLB can now set its sights on the stretch run — and all of the playoff r…

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The stretch from now to August 15th is a very prime opportunity to gain some steam. Lance is going to have to be the most important guy for the second half. Giolito looked better to end the half, Kopech is about where he should be innings wise, but I would like to see them rent a lefty reliever, and a platoon bat.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
                              …but I would like to see them rent a lefty reliever, and a platoon bat.
                              We can get both from Arizona: David Peralta (LH hitting corner OF) and Joe Mantiply (LH reliever).

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X