Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

White Sox...best defensive team in baseball?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • White Sox...best defensive team in baseball?

    According to Defensive Runs Saved, the answer is yes.

    https://twitter.com/sportsinfo_sis/s...756777478?s=21

  • #2
    WIth Robert sucking up 60% of the OF and TA finding a groove at SS. The defense has been very solid recently. IF saved the no-no a couple times at least last night.
    Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...



    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by voodoochile View Post
      WIth Robert sucking up 60% of the OF and TA finding a groove at SS. The defense has been very solid recently. IF saved the no-no a couple times at least last night.
      And Abreu playing the best defense of his career. No coincidence that he and TA have the best numbers on the list for their positions. They help each other.

      Four Sox Gold Gloves in 1960.
      One position player Gold Glove in the last 21 years.

      Comment


      • #4
        They also have the 2nd highest OPS and the 6th best team ERA in baseball. Unfortunately the ERA is only the 3rd best in the AL Central.

        For all the talk of the shaky starting rotation, they've been very good, especially during the recent hot streak.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
          They also have the 2nd highest OPS and the 6th best team ERA in baseball. Unfortunately the ERA is only the 3rd best in the AL Central.

          For all the talk of the shaky starting rotation, they've been very good, especially during the recent hot streak.
          Off-days and inferior competition have helped, too. We still need another starter.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
            They also have the 2nd highest OPS and the 6th best team ERA in baseball. Unfortunately the ERA is only the 3rd best in the AL Central.

            For all the talk of the shaky starting rotation, they've been very good, especially during the recent hot streak.
            I was just thinking today that the defense has been considerably better than I had expected, but 1st in MLB by any metric is definitely a surprise. Good for them. Obviously the addition of Robert gets them a long way. Abreu's been great, Anderson has been good. I've even thought Eloy has been decent, notwithstanding his penchant for hurting himself (whether on defense or in celebration of a no-hitter). Grandal helps. When you add it all up, maybe it's not that surprising. I would be curious how much of the 3 at 2B is Madrigal vs. others, just to get a sense of how the metrics are evaluating him on defense.

            As for the 6th best team ERA in baseball...yes, the starting rotation has been better than advertised. But they are buoyed by a lights out bullpen if we're talking team ERA. The bullpen has been just unreal. When starters are averaging 5ish innings per game, that's a big part of team ERA.

            Comment


            • #7
              If anything the metrics underrate how good the Sox bullpen is. During the first part of the season, the Sox were giving relief innings to a lot of different guys, presumably to see how well their stuff would work in the majors. Some of these guys were lights out. Some were...very much lights on, high-beams. The latter group inflated the staff ERA significantly.

              Once the Sox figure out who's reliable and who is not, this will be a scary bullpen.
              "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
              -- Thucydides

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by BRDSR View Post

                I was just thinking today that the defense has been considerably better than I had expected, but 1st in MLB by any metric is definitely a surprise. Good for them. Obviously the addition of Robert gets them a long way. Abreu's been great, Anderson has been good. I've even thought Eloy has been decent, notwithstanding his penchant for hurting himself (whether on defense or in celebration of a no-hitter). Grandal helps. When you add it all up, maybe it's not that surprising. I would be curious how much of the 3 at 2B is Madrigal vs. others, just to get a sense of how the metrics are evaluating him on defense.

                As for the 6th best team ERA in baseball...yes, the starting rotation has been better than advertised. But they are buoyed by a lights out bullpen if we're talking team ERA. The bullpen has been just unreal. When starters are averaging 5ish innings per game, that's a big part of team ERA.
                I had the same thought regarding the split between the starters/bullpen. But actually their ERA for starting pitchers is also #6 in MLB. The only AL teams with a lower ERA for starting pitchers are the Twins and Indians. If you sort by WAR, which would penalize the starters for not lasting as long into games, they move up to #5 in MLB (and #2 in the AL behind Cleveland).

                https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...2-31&sort=16,a

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by HomeFish View Post
                  If anything the metrics underrate how good the Sox bullpen is. During the first part of the season, the Sox were giving relief innings to a lot of different guys, presumably to see how well their stuff would work in the majors. Some of these guys were lights out. Some were...very much lights on, high-beams. The latter group inflated the staff ERA significantly.

                  Once the Sox figure out who's reliable and who is not, this will be a scary bullpen.
                  Yeah but all teams go through the same thing with their bullpen, so it's not like the Sox should get bonus points for that.

                  Bullpen ERA is #9 in MLB (bullpen FIP is #5 and xFIP is #3).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by BRDSR View Post

                    I was just thinking today that the defense has been considerably better than I had expected, but 1st in MLB by any metric is definitely a surprise. Good for them. Obviously the addition of Robert gets them a long way. Abreu's been great, Anderson has been good. I've even thought Eloy has been decent, notwithstanding his penchant for hurting himself (whether on defense or in celebration of a no-hitter). Grandal helps. When you add it all up, maybe it's not that surprising. I would be curious how much of the 3 at 2B is Madrigal vs. others, just to get a sense of how the metrics are evaluating him on defense.

                    As for the 6th best team ERA in baseball...yes, the starting rotation has been better than advertised. But they are buoyed by a lights out bullpen if we're talking team ERA. The bullpen has been just unreal. When starters are averaging 5ish innings per game, that's a big part of team ERA.
                    Madrigal is at break-even, Mendick is at +4, and Leury is at -1, for a team total of +3.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Mohoney View Post

                      Off-days and inferior competition have helped, too. We still need another starter.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	dunning_d_usatsi_11773464.jpg?itok=gLiodGqV.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	6782
                      You rang??

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Kilroy View Post

                        Click image for larger version

Name:	dunning_d_usatsi_11773464.jpg?itok=gLiodGqV.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	6782
                        You rang??
                        Still one more spot to fill...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Look at Jose. And Mendick and Engel have been good players on this team.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by BRDSR View Post

                            I was just thinking today that the defense has been considerably better than I had expected, but 1st in MLB by any metric is definitely a surprise. Good for them. Obviously the addition of Robert gets them a long way. Abreu's been great, Anderson has been good. I've even thought Eloy has been decent, notwithstanding his penchant for hurting himself (whether on defense or in celebration of a no-hitter). Grandal helps. When you add it all up, maybe it's not that surprising. I would be curious how much of the 3 at 2B is Madrigal vs. others, just to get a sense of how the metrics are evaluating him on defense.

                            As for the 6th best team ERA in baseball...yes, the starting rotation has been better than advertised. But they are buoyed by a lights out bullpen if we're talking team ERA. The bullpen has been just unreal. When starters are averaging 5ish innings per game, that's a big part of team ERA.
                            One correction. Anderson has been on FIRE defensively during this stretch of games. He struggled early on, but he's been making great plays, great decisions and yes being helped by Abreu's nice glove work at first on occasion. He's becoming the SS we all wanted right before our eyes.

                            Edit: ESPN has his DWAR at 0.3 after 21 games played. That's on pace for a 2.0+ DWAR season and that's pretty freaking awesome.
                            Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...



                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Moncada has also benefited from Abreu's defense.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X