White sox survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White sox survey

So, I got a survey today from the team because I was at the game on Monday night (this is the first time they've sent one of these to me despite the fact that I go to a ton of games each year).

Most of the questions were pretty silly ("how long did it take you find parking?"). But my favorite was an open-ended question where I could write my own answer. They asked what can make the experience of attending a Sox game better. I responded, "get a Second Baseman."

They asked what the best part of my experience at the game. I said "The Sox won."

Originally posted by Dumpjerry View Post
    So, I got a survey today from the team because I was at the game on Monday night (this is the first time they've sent one of these to me despite the fact that I go to a ton of games each year).

Most of the questions were pretty silly ("how long did it take you find parking?"). But my favorite was an open-ended question where I could write my own answer. They asked what can make the experience of attending a Sox game better. I responded, "get a Second Baseman."

They asked what the best part of my experience at the game. I said "The Sox won."
    The parking question doesn't shock me actually. It's been a big problem lately around the ballpark at the highly attended games and the team has to be aware of it. The playoffs last season were a total mess in that regard. In general, the Sox don't handle large crowds well when it comes to parking and getting people inside the ballpark. The security lines have been another big issue at the 35,000+ attended games with people regularly waiting in line into the 2nd inning before being able to enter. Not sure what the bottleneck is at our park for security. I've attended games at Comerica Park, Wrigley Field, and Fenway Park in the last 12 months and none of those parks have the same issue getting people inside in a timely manner.

I do agree that a good second baseman will make the experience better

Comment

I live out of town, so I don't get to very many games at GRF. But last year I was in town for the Yankees series, and attended the Saturday night game (a couple days after the Field of Dreams game). The parking situation completely ruined the experience for me. I planned on arriving an hour and a half before the start of the game, but instead circles around for 2 hours looking for parking. I ended up finding a the parking lot by ITT and walking. I finally made it inside and to my seats in the middle of the third inning.

In terms of game day experience when attending a game, the parking situation is by far my biggest complaint.

Comment

Originally posted by Foulke You View Post
        The parking question doesn't shock me actually. It's been a big problem lately around the ballpark at the highly attended games and the team has to be aware of it. The playoffs last season were a total mess in that regard. In general, the Sox don't handle large crowds well when it comes to parking and getting people inside the ballpark. The security lines have been another big issue at the 35,000+ attended games with people regularly waiting in line into the 2nd inning before being able to enter. Not sure what the bottleneck is at our park for security. I've attended games at Comerica Park, Wrigley Field, and Fenway Park in the last 12 months and none of those parks have the same issue getting people inside in a timely manner.

I saw something, I think it was in The Athletic, where the Sox talked about the parking issue and said the problem is really there aren't enough spots for everyone going to the games. The parking lots were designed with the idea that a certain percentage of people going to a game would be attending either in shared cars or via public transit, but with the pandemic more people started coming in their family's car and that created a problem.

The bottleneck with security is an issue at every park with a big crowd I think. I was at an Orioles-Nationals game in 2018 in Baltimore and it was a HUGE wait to get into the park and I was thinking that it actually creates the kind of target it was supposed to prevent.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
          I live out of town, so I don't get to very many games at GRF. But last year I was in town for the Yankees series, and attended the Saturday night game (a couple days after the Field of Dreams game). The parking situation completely ruined the experience for me. I planned on arriving an hour and a half before the start of the game, but instead circles around for 2 hours looking for parking. I ended up finding a the parking lot by ITT and walking. I finally made it inside and to my seats in the middle of the third inning.

In terms of game day experience when attending a game, the parking situation is by far my biggest complaint.
          I remember that game. It took me longer to get from the Ryan exit to the parking lot than it did to get from my house in Frankfort to 35th St.

I will say parking is better this year, at least for lots A, B, and C. They've got dedicated traffic lanes going into each of the lots which keeps the lines moving. The only hiccup is for people who don't read the signs about passes versus cash parking and get sent on their way when they go to the wrong lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Foulke You View Post

Monday night (this might be due to shortage of staff), they made it next to impossible to park in Lot C unless you knew really good the lay of the land. I wanted to go to C because it is a much quicker exit than A or B. I came down Canal to turn left on 33rd to enter the 33rd Street gate for C. It was closed, but the gate right next to it on Shields was open. But, Shields was blocked off. I had to go all the way to Wells, join the traffic for A and B to get to Shields to head up to the entrence.

Nice thing about the confusion: Lot C had about three dozen cars while A and B were already 80% full.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post

That's interesting about the pandemic possibly changing transit to the ballpark. I hadn't thought about that but it makes sense. However, I'd say that the pandemic might have just thrown gasoline on an existing problem that was there prior to the pandemic. I recall waiting on the 35th st exit ramp at a crosstown series game for over 45 min before making it to Wentworth and 37th and that was back in 2018 or 2019. I've gone to enough games to know where to go in the parking area but for more casual fans, it can be a nightmare to navigate that area on busier game days. Sometimes people arrive in prepaid only lots wanting to buy parking and then need to be routed out of there without clear instruction on where to go. Part of the problem was the Sox had very poor signage and sparse employees in the area telling people where they needed to be or go. You'll often get an unhelpful traffic employee just waving you somewhere without explanation. They've made some modest improvements to the signage this year but there is still a lot of room to improve.

Also, the bottlenecks at the entrance gates to get into the ballpark are definitely security related but I can confirm that this doesn't happen at the other ballparks I visit. Not sure if the Sox just don't have enough staff down there to move it along or if they are more strict about checking people than other parks. I'll repeat this is not a problem at Wrigley, Fenway, or Comerica Park which I've visited post pandemic. This really needs to be examined and improved because it has to be negatively impacting the fan experience if you wait forever to park your car, wait forever to get inside the park, miss 2 innings of the game, etc.

Comment

Monday night (this might be due to shortage of staff), they made it next to impossible to park in Lot C unless you knew really good the lay of the land. I wanted to go to C because it is a much quicker exit than A or B. I came down Canal to turn left on 33rd to enter the 33rd Street gate for C. It was closed, but the gate right next to it on Shields was open. But, Shields was blocked off. I had to go all the way to Wells, join the traffic for A and B to get to Shields to head up to the entrence.

Nice thing about the confusion: Lot C had about three dozen cars while A and B were already 80% full.
                Experienced the same thing a couple of Tuesdays ago for the Dodgers game. I've always loved coming down Canal and then ducking into Lot C from the north end. Just super easy. (However, the key is to not get there too early on a well-attended game...it's a pain in the ass to get out if you're too far south in the lot and don't plan on leaving early). Anyway, same thing, was routed basically all the way around Armour Park, past Lot A, past Lot B, over to Shields. Took a few extra minutes...wasn't a terrible wait, but definitely not as quick as I was used and seemed a bit unnecessary.

Comment

Interesting. I had a survey emailed to me a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure if it was before or after I attended the game. Lot of questions about "do you feel like you know the players on the team" and then the questions about how many games you go to, how important is it to go with family or friends, who usually initiates going, what other entertainment choices do you consider, does traffic concern you, etc. In the open ended question at the end, I told them to fire Tony.

Comment

Working...
                  X