Tony LaRussa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony LaRussa

This topic really deserves its own thread. TLR is starting to see a lot of criticism in the national media over his decision making. Leading off withe Leury on Wednesday and the 2-strike IBB yesterday has really pulled the wool away for a lot of people who before were willing to give him rope. Looks like that rope is running out.

https://theathletic.com/3358480/2022...ssa-white-sox/
    Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

As long as the Kenny Hahn show is still pulling the strings, bad drafting, bad contracts and bad trades will continue. TLR is just the tip of the iceberg but getting rid of him will still leave the Sox with Grandal, Harrison, Sheets, Moncada, Garcia a weak bullpen and Tim Anderson who when he isn't busy flipping off Cleveland fans or picking fights with TV commentators is a good player.

I guess what I'm saying is that after back to back playoff appearances, somehow this organization is a mess.

Comment

I was watched the MLB channel today and one of the analysts described the Sox as not having the right chemistry. He said he sees heads down and no fire to win. He said they need strong leadership. I think most of Sox community believe Tony needs to go for several reasons. The Phillies are playing solid ball post-Girardi. However, the Angels haven't done well post-Maddon. So removing the manager is not an absolute given to fix the team. But the Sox need leadership. They need a manager who they trust and doesn't make repeated blunders. They need a change. But we all know Reinsdorf will just sit on his deck chair doing nothing as the ship sinks under the waves.

Comment

I didn't watch the game, but I've been following the national blow up afterwards. Two things stand out:

1) Some people are calling Tony an idiot for waiting until it was 1-2 to give him the IBB. These people obviously didn't understand the context, that 1B wasn't open until the count was 1-2. He wasn't going to walk Turner with a guy on 1B just to put someone in scoring position.

2) La Russa saying the numbers support the decision, while everyone is piling on him saying they don't, citing the career numbers for Turner (after 1-2 against LHP) and Muncy (overall vs. LHP). See here and here. The Fegan article though points out that Turner has hit .373/.424/.644 over 66 plate appearances in such situations since 2020. Those numbers are hard to believe, but if they're true it somewhat justifies La Russa's decision.

I still think he should have tried throwing 3 balls out of the zone to get him to swing. Obviously you're relying on Sousa not to miss his spot, but it would have been worth it IMO.

Comment

I'll also say this is yet another example of La Russa prioritizing left/right stuff over all else. Some thing with his strange lineup decisions that never work out.

Comment

Originally posted by Irishsox1 View Post
            As long as the Kenny Hahn show is still pulling the strings, bad drafting, bad contracts and bad trades will continue. TLR is just the tip of the iceberg but getting rid of him will still leave the Sox with Grandal, Harrison, Sheets, Moncada, Garcia a weak bullpen and Tim Anderson who when he isn't busy flipping off Cleveland fans or picking fights with TV commentators is a good player.

I guess what I'm saying is that after back to back playoff appearances, somehow this organization is a mess.
            you're right that a lot of bad stuff will continue, but hopefully, a new manager might know where to bat who in the lineup!

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
              I didn't watch the game, but I've been following the national blow up afterwards. Two things stand out:

1) Some people are calling Tony an idiot for waiting until it was 1-2 to give him the IBB. These people obviously didn't understand the context, that 1B wasn't open until the count was 1-2. He wasn't going to walk Turner with a guy on 1B just to put someone in scoring position.

2) La Russa saying the numbers support the decision, while everyone is piling on him saying they don't, citing the career numbers for Turner (after 1-2 against LHP) and Muncy (overall vs. LHP). See here and here. The Fegan article though points out that Turner has hit .373/.424/.644 over 66 plate appearances in such situations since 2020. Those numbers are hard to believe, but if they're true it somewhat justifies La Russa's decision.

I still think he should have tried throwing 3 balls out of the zone to get him to swing. Obviously you're relying on Sousa not to miss his spot, but it would have been worth it IMO.
              The other data point that is relevant is Sousa's splits- LH hitters- .384 batting average, RH hitters- .220 batting average- to me that makes this a very bad decision.

Until this season- TLR has been my favorite manager over the 50+ years of being a White Sox fan- ever since he was promoted by Veeck in 1979. I was actually happy they signed him to return for this gig- BUT, he's jumoed the shark at this point- for me the biggest issues are the obsession with Leury Garcia, the poor fundamental play (missing cutoff men, etc.), and some of these bizarre in game decisions.

But beyond TLR- the other reality (to me) it that our $73M catcher is probably toast with 1.5 more years on his contract, so no legitimate starting catcher, we have no legitimate 2nd baseman, we have no legitimate LH hitting outfielder, no legitimate LH starting pitcher, and at this point we don't really have a legitimate 3rd baseman with Moncada not hitting and Burger not fielding. So a flawed roster constructed by Hahn- with failed FA signings, young talent not producing or can't stay healthy, and a farm system that cannot provide any real help.

So some how- in the middle of our "window"- this organization probably needs a complete overhaul from the manager/coaching staff to the front office/GM role.
              #1 White Sox fan in Leland, MI

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
                I So removing the manager is not an absolute given to fix the team. But the Sox need leadership. They need a manager who they trust and doesn't make repeated blunders.
                I think this sums it up in a nutshell. Removing LaRussa won't guarantee success but what it will do is remove some of the obvious mistakes where Tony is not putting his team in a position to win. A few things off the top of my head:

-Consistently batting Leury Garcia leadoff or at the top of the order. He is one of the worst hitters on the team this year. No manager except Tony would ever bat him here.

-Commitment to "handedness" based decisions without looking at the actual platoon splits data

-Commitment to staggering the lineup R/L/R/L/R at the expense of giving his best players the top spots in the order

-An almost steadfast refusal to use his high leverage relievers unless the game is tied or the Sox have a lead. Even if the Sox are down only 1 or 2 runs, he will always go to his secondary pitchers like Ruiz, Lopez, and Sousa. We saw this play out yesterday.

-Managing with no urgency as if the team has a 10 game lead in the division. Example: Giving multiple "rest" days per week to Andrew Vaughn and AJ Pollock when the team is already short handed, putting out "surrender" lineups on the 2nd game of a double header, etc.

-A recent development of watching starting pitchers implode late in a game and leaving them in FAR too long until the game is out of hand. There has been 3 instances of this alone in the last couple weeks. (Cueto against the Cubs, Giolito against the Rays, and Cease against the Dodgers)

-Not pinch hitting for poor hitters like Harrison, Garcia, or the struggling Grandal late in a ballgame

It's funny, when they hired LaRussa my biggest fear was that the clubhouse would suffer under him and the players wouldn't get along with him due to culture and age gap issues. I wasn't worried about LaRussa's in-game strategy at the time of the hire. However, it's been the complete opposite of that. The clubhouse seems fine and the players get along with him. It's the game strategy/bullpen management/lineups, etc that have been the biggest issue. I feel like just about any interim manager would correct most of the "first guess" type mistakes that we've been seeing. It won't make the Sox suddenly hit better but it would definitely put them in a much better position to succeed with what they have. Alas, I fear this change won't be allowed to happen under the current owner.
                Last edited by Foulke You; 06-10-2022, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Well, he is the guy who left Britt Burns in one batter too many.........

Comment

I think there are a couple of things you can or should look at when trying to judge a manager:
                    1. Is the team meeting expectations?
                    2. If the team is not meeting expectations, and even if it is, is the manager putting consistently putting guys in the best position to succeed?
                    3. Are there signs of improvement?
                    And in this case the answers are no, no and no. I don't know if firing Tony will fix what is wrong with this team. but it will fix at least ONE of the things wrong with this team, but I don't think Jerry will ever allow it. Unfortunately the problems with this organization start with him and will continue as long as he runs the team.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumpjerry View Post
                      Well, he is the guy who left Britt Burns in one batter too many.........
                      You had to bring that up, dammit.

Too.

Soon.

Comment

Tony LaRussa as manager is a mute point. He is not going anywhere this season, unless he decides to walk when it ends. Reinsdorf made a decision last spring to bring him back to make good for firing him some 35 years earlier. He didn't want to listen to facts. LaRussa hadn't actively managed in the major for 10 years. The game has changed tremendously since then. He was and still is a questionable fit with the general makeup of this team.

We are in year three of a five-year window. This team has proven it is unable to compete with the big boys in MLB. They have already failed miserably the last two years in the playoffs. The way they are playing right now they are in jeopardy of not making the post-season. I won't put all of the blame on LaRussa. And yes, I think a change may be necessary to turn things around.

Unfortunately, when you consider how the owner runs this team, it ain't gonna happen.

Comment

It's obvious that the hiring of TLR was a huge mistake but the bigger problem in all of this is the person who hired him. I mentioned yesterday how happy I will be if and when Yoan Moncada is no longer a member of the White Sox, the only thing that would make me happier is the day Jerry Reinsdorf sells the White Sox. Good Sox fans like us had to endure some ugly and losing baseball for what looked like a promising rebuild but now looks like it's disintegrating before our eyes. This team had issues after last years dismal 2nd half and poor playoff showing and nothing was done to really improve the club, that falls on the front office and the man in charge, JR.
                          Because of the lousy division we play in there is still time to turn this season around and win the division, Wild Card spots will not come from the Central Division, we have to win the division, the first course of action is that JR has to let LaRussa go, the game has passed him by. Hopefully a new manager could come in and put a spark in our players with most of them right now under-performing and at times looking like they just don't care.
                          Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 06-10-2022, 04:16 PM.
                          Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

Comment

The first swing DP tapper back to the mound by Robert in the first inning after Vaughn took a 4-pitch walk is a symptom of bad coaching. Robert should have been told to take a pitch or two. The fact no one thought to tell him to do so is to me as big an indictment of the coaching staff as anything else. This team is WAY behind the rest of the majors in plate discipline and it costs us a LOT of runs.
                            Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

Originally posted by voodoochile View Post
                              The first swing DP tapper back to the mound by Robert in the first inning after Vaughn took a 4-pitch walk is a symptom of bad coaching. Robert should have been told to take a pitch or two. The fact no one thought to tell him to do so is to me as big an indictment of the coaching staff as anything else. This team is WAY behind the rest of the majors in plate discipline and it costs us a LOT of runs.
                              I don't blame this on the coaching. Robert is a professional and shouldn't have to be reminded, he's not 16 yrs old.
                              Did you expect the coaches to yell "take a pitch", for everyone to hear, as he approached the batters' box?

Comment

Working...
                              X