*OFFICIAL* 5/25/22 Earl Weaver Special SOX 3 BOS 1 Postgamer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *OFFICIAL* 5/25/22 Earl Weaver Special SOX 3 BOS 1 Postgamer

Pitching, defense, and a three-run homer, is just enough tonight.

Can we please win a laugher tomorrow? Like 9-2 or somesuch?

That said, while Anderson and Moncada didn’t do much tonight at the plate, they did play outstanding defense.

And while Giolito didn’t have his best stuff, he gutted through six innings giving up just one run. The bullpen also played with fire but they were good enough to throw three scoreless innings.

Comment

Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
      Can we please win a laugher tomorrow? Like 9-2 or somesuch?

That said, while Anderson and Moncada didn’t do much tonight at the plate, they did play outstanding defense.

And while Giolito didn’t have his best stuff, he gutted through six innings giving up just one run. The bullpen also played with fire but they were good enough to throw three scoreless innings.
      Bummer looked great, so that's a huge get especially if Kelly has to miss time.

Nice to get back on the positive side of .500 let's keep it rolling stack series wins.

Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

They really needed a win after Tuesdays debacle, and they got it . hope that Robert is back soon and in the 3 hole . a front four of Anderson, Vaughn, Robert, and Abreu can be formidable, when they are all having good at bats.

Comment

Originally posted by Harwar View Post
          They really needed a win after Tuesdays debacle, and they got it . hope that Robert is back soon and in the 3 hole . a front four of Anderson, Vaughn, Robert, and Abreu can be formidable, when they are all having good at bats.
          That's the thing, good at bats is something missing, we have the fewest walks in the AL and our guys are up there hacking away at anything. Pitchers know this and the hitters are constantly swinging at pitches out of the zone. Heading to June and I hope they start hitting soon, maybe they should make TA the hitting coach, he's the only hitter that has a clue. Moncada and Grandal are horrible, even Robert looked bad in NY.
          Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 05-26-2022, 05:20 AM.
          Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

Comment

Originally posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
            That's the thing, good at bats is something missing, we have the fewest walks in the AL and our guys are up there hacking away at anything. Pitchers know this and the hitters are constantly swinging at pitches out of the zone. Heading to June and I hope they start hitting soon, maybe they should make TA the hitting coach, he's the only hitter that has a clue. Moncada and Grandal are horrible, even Robert looked bad in NY.
            I share your frustration. The Sox seem to be trying to emulate the Astros, who don’t strike out much but hit the ball hard for both power and average. It’s just not working; at least not yet.

Comment

Originally posted by LITTLE NELL View Post

This is exactly why it's so frustrating when they mention the expected hit rates stats (i forget what they are officially called) during the broadcast..."well the Sox are really hitting the ball hard but they are just getting unlucky" ect ect...enough! The reality is this is a bad offensive team who has a piss poor approach right now. They need to adjust.

Comment

Originally posted by shingo10 View Post

This is exactly why it's so frustrating when they mention the expected hit rates stats (i forget what they are officially called) during the broadcast..."well the Sox are really hitting the ball hard but they are just getting unlucky" ect ect...enough! The reality is this is a bad offensive team who has a piss poor approach right now. They need to adjust.
                You have to wonder if the manager and hitting coach are seeing the same miserable at bats we are.
                Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

Comment

Originally posted by shingo10 View Post
                  The Sox were barreling the ball in April, but it was right at fielders or dying on the warning track. We were led to expect that things would normalize, and that these barreled balls would find gaps or the seats. Instead, what normalized was the barrel rate; the Sox have stopped hitting so many balls squarely. Now they are just making routine weak contact leading to outs because opposing teams know exactly where to position their fielders.

Maybe Yolbert Sanchez’s bat to ball skills would help. He’s not going to hit for power but hopefully he can spray the ball to where the fielders aren’t.

Comment

What are the Sox going to do about Moncada, Harrison, Garcia and Grandal? You can't keep trotting multiple people out there that are hitting under .200 in late May. Last nights lineup had 5 batters hitting under .230. Getting Jimenez and Robert back will help with the offense but not at third base, second base and catcher.

This team is on the older side with 6 position players 30 years and older and they are hitting .216, .188, .174, .182, .228 & .229.

It might be time to call up catcher Carlos Perez from Triple A....he's hitting .287 with 8 doubles, 9 homers with only 9 strikeouts.

Other than sticking it out, I don't think the Sox have many options.

Comment

Originally posted by Irishsox1 View Post
                      What are the Sox going to do about Moncada, Harrison, Garcia and Grandal? You can't keep trotting multiple people out there that are hitting under .200 in late May. Last nights lineup had 5 batters hitting under .230. Getting Jimenez and Robert back will help with the offense but not at third base, second base and catcher.

This team is on the older side with 6 position players 30 years and older and they are hitting .216, .188, .174, .182, .228 & .229.

It might be time to call up catcher Carlos Perez from Triple A....he's hitting .287 with 8 doubles, 9 homers with only 9 strikeouts.

Boston's lineup last night also had five players batting under.230. Maybe it's because batting average isn't held in as high regard as a meaningful stat/metric as it used to be?

2022 Sox Attendance Tracker: 2-4
                      All-time Sox Attendance Tracker: 302-257
                      Posts on old WSI: 7344

Comment

Pérez is interesting. The challenge is that McGuire is out of options and therefore would have to be exposed to waivers to be sent down. Same with Grandal, for that matter.

Eventually Pérez and McGuire may form a competent catching tandem but I don’t expect that it would ever provide even above average offensive production for the catcher position.

Yolbert Sanchez is also interesting, but I think that his ceiling is that of a complementary player. That’s OK - every team needs complimentary players.

But we need our prime age stars to play like stars. Presently only TA is doing so. Robert sometimes plays like a star; Moncada needs to be a star, too. Same with Eloy.

If TA, Moncada, Robert, and Eloy all perform like stars, it’s OK for the other players to perform like complimentary players provided they are all providing different things.

But beyond the stars (other than TA) not playing like stars, too many of our complimentary players are all too similar to one another in terms of skill sets.

Comment

Originally posted by Chez View Post

Boston's lineup last night also had five players batting under.230. Maybe it's because batting average isn't held in as high regard as a meaningful stat/metric as it used to be?
                          MLB-wide hitting is down this year.

Comment

Good job pitching around all of the bloop hits that Boston seemed to pull out of you-know-where.

Red Sox stranded 12 runners. This easily could have turned into a carbon copy of Tuesday.

Boston's a much better team than their record. Good to be done with them after tonight.
                            I want my $2

I wasn't in the last can. I was in the first can. You started at the wrong end. - Tosh

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there. - GH 1943-2001

Comment

At 2B, Yolbert is an option, but would likely require DFA'ing Harrison. The question the Sox need to be asking is what is more likely: Harrison returning to his career norms, or Yolbert being able to match those career norms as a rookie with no let up? DFA'ing Harrison is final - if they do that and Yolbert comes up and isn't successful, they'd be out of internal options (which would force them to address the situation at the deadline - maybe not a bad thing).

Perez has been great, but I don't think the Sox want to get rid of McGuire to make room for him. He's been really good behind the plate and the Sox have him locked up for a 3 more years I think.

Moncada and Grandal you just need to hope they'll turn it around and play like we know they're capable of.

Comment

Working...
                              X