*Official* 5/9 Uh...Uh...Hell, I Don't Know Postgamer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *Official* 5/9 Uh...Uh...Hell, I Don't Know Postgamer

That's as painful as a loss gets, and it could be one that completely flips the season in the wrong direction. Not looking forward to what's coming.

Unreal....Kopech leads ALL starters with a .93 ERA and we lose a game he starts 12-9? There are no words....go have a few beers and start again tomorrow...

Comment

Hard loss. Kind of felt it coming when Liam gave up the single on the first batter. Well... back at it tomorrow...

Good news both Sheets and Pollock busted out of their slumps a bit. If that continues the team will score a lot more runs and I don't expect to give up 12 very often.
      Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

12 runs, 4 earned.

Comment

Liam may have learned that if your first pitch to every batter is a high fastball with little movement right down the middle, hitters will know to look for it and a hot hitter will destroy it. Yet that's his situation if his breaking stuff isn't working and it wasn't tonight. Great game to a neutral observer and it's only one loss, so move on. And don't throw stuff right down the middle and expect to get away with it all the time.
          I'm not into crypto yet and that makes me feel old.

Comment

Originally posted by kingpin_rcs View Post
            12 runs, 4 earned.
            Totally an unacceptable loss last night, they need to come back and take the series especially with the damn Yankees coming in next for a 4 game series.

TA with 2 more errors, this guy needs to get his act together and stop the hot dogging and nonchalant crap.

What's with Sheets dropping that easy fly ball, strictly a loss of concentration, he made up for it with the 3 run homer but it still led to an unearned run.
            Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 05-10-2022, 06:05 AM.
            Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

Comment

Kind of loss that can absolutely torpedo a season. We saw it in 2016 when David Robertson blew a 6 run lead in the 9th in Kansas City. Just sickening. Couldn't sleep after that. I've said it before but your closer cannot give up as many home runs as Hendriks. It's just that damn simple. There is one thing he can't do in that situation and he grooves one right down the middle. Don't you think Naylor is going to be looking 1st pitch fastball to try to tie the game? Ugh. Then not a clutch hit in sight in the 9th and 10th. Still are winless against the Guardians/Twins this season. This feels like it erases the last week and the 6 game streak. And yes as many people have pointed out with 4 errors you aren't going to win many games.

Hendriks has given up 14 HR in 85 IP with the White Sox. 1 every 6 innings. For a closer.
              Last edited by shingo10; 05-10-2022, 05:40 AM.

Comment

I was there. I want my four hours back.

Comment

The law of averages was working against them after 6 straight wins, but damn. Bullpen had been lights out for a while, but imploded last night. Kept finding ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

And there needs to be a ceremony soon to burn the Southside uniforms. Those damn things are cursed.
                  Last edited by Zakath; 05-10-2022, 06:04 AM.
                  I want my $2

I wasn't in the last can. I was in the first can. You started at the wrong end. - Tosh

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there. - GH 1943-2001

Comment

Originally posted by LITTLE NELL View Post

Totally an unacceptable loss last night, they need to come back and take the series especially with the damn Yankees coming in next for a 4 game series.

TA with 2 more errors, this guy needs to get his act together and stop the hot dogging and nonchalant crap.

What's with Sheets dropping that easy fly ball, strictly a loss of concentration, he made up for it with the 3 run homer but it still led to an unearned run.
                    These are the ones that keep Therapists,Saloons and Liquor Stores in ibusiness. Can’t believe you have a 6 run cushion and can’t close it out. Sucks even more we can’t beat either Cleveland or Minnesota to save our lives at this point. Ok, we did take it to extras, but the ineptitude to get somebody in was another Moe Howard two fingers in the eyes.

BK59

Comment

Originally posted by kingpin_rcs View Post
                      12 runs, 4 earned.
                      That’s some beer league softball fielding there.

Comment

Today will tell a lot.

Comment

The lineup scored 8 runs in the first 8 innings last night. That was enough to win.

I’m hanging this game on the bullpen and the defense.

That said…

Sheets’ HR shows he belongs in the lineup, but he doesn’t belong in RF. Even TLR tacitly admits that by subbing in Engel.

I get that Sheets is playing OF more than anyone would like because Vaughn and Eloy are out.

But Sheets is also playing OF because TLR insists on having Grandal DH when McGuire is catching, and he’s had McGuire start behind the plate in 15 of 28 games. That is too many. I get not wanting to wear out Grandal behind the plate. I get that McGuire is better defensively and might be part of the reason why the pitching - Kopech, in particular - has been so good.

And I also get it - the Sox struggle against RHP, so TLR wants as many LH bats in the lineup as possible.

But maybe Grandal shouldn’t DH as much, though. He’s been the starting DH in 11 of 28 games. That’s too many.

Moving forward, put Grandal behind the plate a bit more (3 out of 5 starts), and have him DH less (maybe once every 5 games and ideally only against LHP).

That would open up more DH starts against RHP for Sheets.

That also opens up more RF starts for Engel (until Vaughn returns), who hasn’t been hitting well but at least he plays good defense. Hypothetically an outfield of Pollock, Robert, and Engel should save a lot of runs.

Comment

Personally- I place this loss on the defense. How the hell does TA make an error on a cutoff throw? The next ball to Moncada (error) is probably a double play without that mistake. Those two plays opened up the flood gates- and forced us to eventually bring in Hendriks- middle inning, after being up and down in the pen twice- he was obviously a one pitch pitcher with no command of the sllder or curve.

No idea why you would pitch to Naylor in the 11th with Clement on deck.
                            #1 White Sox fan in Leland, MI

Comment

Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
                              The lineup scored 8 runs in the first 8 innings last night. That was enough to win.

I’m hanging this game on the bullpen and the defense.

That said…

Sheets’ HR shows he belongs in the lineup, but he doesn’t belong in RF. Even TLR tacitly admits that by subbing in Engel.

I get that Sheets is playing OF more than anyone would like because Vaughn and Eloy are out.

But Sheets is also playing OF because TLR insists on having Grandal DH when McGuire is catching, and he’s had McGuire start behind the plate in 15 of 28 games. That is too many. I get not wanting to wear out Grandal behind the plate. I get that McGuire is better defensively and might be part of the reason why the pitching - Kopech, in particular - has been so good.

And I also get it - the Sox struggle against RHP, so TLR wants as many LH bats in the lineup as possible.

But maybe Grandal shouldn’t DH as much, though. He’s been the starting DH in 11 of 28 games. That’s too many.

Moving forward, put Grandal behind the plate a bit more (3 out of 5 starts), and have him DH less (maybe once every 5 games and ideally only against LHP).

That would open up more DH starts against RHP for Sheets.

That also opens up more RF starts for Engel (until Vaughn returns), who hasn’t been hitting well but at least he plays good defense. Hypothetically an outfield of Pollock, Robert, and Engel should save a lot of runs.
                              I suspect that Grandal's health is very fragile between his age and his knee- so they 're really managing his playing time carefully to preserve him over the entire season.
                              #1 White Sox fan in Leland, MI

Comment

Working...
                              X