Pitching Staff Moves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitching Staff Moves

Lynn returns in the next few weeks and maybe Cueto proves himself and gets promoted. Also, Joe Kelly should be making his debut soon. My issue is Keuchel. If he doesn't make a major improvement in the next start or two, should we DFA him? We have to make room for Lance, Joe, and maybe Johnny. Keuchel seems to know he can't throw strikes without getting clobbered. So Dallas walks batters or gives them nice pitches to hammer. We are behind Minnesota and we cannot afford to have Keuchel giving up games every 5th start.

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
    Lynn returns in the next few weeks and maybe Cueto proves himself and gets promoted. Also, Joe Kelly should be making his debut soon. My issue is Keuchel. If he doesn't make a major improvement in the next start or two, should we DFA him? We have to make room for Lance, Joe, and maybe Johnny. Keuchel seems to know he can't throw strikes without getting clobbered. So Dallas walks batters or gives them nice pitches to hammer. We are behind Minnesota and we cannot afford to have Keuchel giving up games every 5th start.
    DFA is the answer, the question is will JR eat the contract?
    Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

Comment

Lance, Joe, and Johnny. Sounds like a boy band!

Comment

Originally posted by LITTLE NELL View Post

DFA is the answer, the question is will JR eat the contract?
        If you want to win, then the answer is YES. But I suspect JR will not want to pay anyone for not playing.

Comment

If you want to win, then the answer is YES. But I suspect JR will not want to pay anyone for not playing.
          I don't see it as an issue- I can't picture JR forcing Hahn/TLR to send Keuchel out there every 5th day- while we have 2-3 better options in Valasquez, Cueto or Lopez. Either way he's writing the checks- better to write the checks and win versus losing.
          #1 White Sox fan in Leland, MI

Comment

He's done it before (Danks).

Comment

Originally posted by Kobo View Post

He's done it before (Danks).
              Yeah, I have no doubt that if Hahn and Williams tell Jerry its time to move on from Keuchel, he won't stand in the way. Especially since it will save him from Keuchel's $20M vesting option for next year.

Comment

Originally posted by notjimrose View Post

Yeah, I have no doubt that if Hahn and Williams tell Jerry its time to move on from Keuchel, he won't stand in the way. Especially since it will save him from Keuchel's $20M vesting option for next year.
                Unless something changes dramatically in Keuchel’s ability to get opposing hitters out, there is no way he is capable of covering 160 innings, even if the Sox gave him 30 starts. The option is a non-factor.

Comment

It seems to me that a lot rides on Cueto and/or V. V. being an adequate number 5 man in the rotation. Especially, in the later part of the season if Keuchel doesn't perform a miraculous turn-around. Also, Kopach will be innings limited.

Comment

It seems to me that a lot rides on Cueto and/or V. V. being an adequate number 5 man in the rotation. Especially, in the later part of the season if Keuchel doesn't perform a miraculous turn-around. Also, Kopach will be innings limited.
                    Always a chance to add more at the deadline too.
                    Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

Originally posted by notjimrose View Post

Don't disregard that Hahn and Williams would be telling him that they mucked up with the signing and it's going to cost him $18M? because they did. That might give them a reason to hesitate just a tad. JR might react by canning them both and giving one of us the job.
                      Ah, you can't beat fun at the old ball park.

Comment

Originally posted by berwyn View Post

Don't disregard that Hahn and Williams would be telling him that they mucked up with the signing and it's going to cost him $18M? because they did. That might give them a reason to hesitate just a tad. JR might react by canning them both and giving one of us the job.
                        LOL. JR hasn't canned a member of the front office in like 2 decades.

Comment

When Lynn is back, the Sox 1-4 is really, really good. If it's not the best 1-4 in baseball (it's hard to argue with the Mets, especially when healthy), it's definitely in the conversation. I think it's a safe bet that one of Cueto or VV could hold down the 5th starter spot and give the Sox at least a chance to win more often than not. Keuchel looks like he's not capable of doing that, at this point.

The Sox are treating Kopech like his innings limit is higher than any of us expected. That's the biggest wild card with the rotation. If Kopech can continue his current level of performance for the full season, the Sox will be more than fine.

Comment

How about trade Vaughn, Burger, Colas for Carlos Rodon? 3-0, 1.17 ERA, 23 IP, 38 K’s, 1.2 WAR. Sorry, been lurking here for 20 years and never posted and don’t know how to use teal yet.

Giolito, Rodon, Cease, Lynn, Kopech. What could have been! But I know they needed $5 million of the $18 million for Rodon to give to Leury Garcia. Sorry, I am still bitter!

Comment

Originally posted by EstreetSox View Post
                              How about trade Vaughn, Burger, Colas for Carlos Rodon? 3-0, 1.17 ERA, 23 IP, 38 K’s, 1.2 WAR. Sorry, been lurking here for 20 years and never posted and don’t know how to use teal yet.

Giolito, Rodon, Cease, Lynn, Kopech. What could have been! But I know they needed $5 million of the $18 million for Rodon to give to Leury Garcia. Sorry, I am still bitter!
                              Let's see if you're still bitter 4 months from now.
                              (Formerly asindc.)

"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." — George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                              X