Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*OFFICIAL* 5/1/22 “Upon Review…” 9th Inning Heroics Fall Short LAA 6 SOX 5 Postgamer

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • *OFFICIAL* 5/1/22 “Upon Review…” 9th Inning Heroics Fall Short LAA 6 SOX 5 Postgamer

    Would have been nice to score some runs earlier. At least we know they don’t quit.

  • #2
    So close, and yet, so far. That's what happens when you dig yourself too deeply. But who knows? Maybe this and yesterday will turn this season around.

    Comment


    • #3
      Showing signs of life . hope that Cease is on tomorrow.

      Comment


      • #4
        Keuchel buried us in his stint. I'm surprised the Angels didn't pound his worst with how hot they have been before coming here. Regardless, the guys almost pulled it out.

        Comment


        • #5
          Too bad they couldn't pull it out in the 9th, what a great win it would have been and might have led to bigger things, just have to come back tomorrow and get a split in the series.
          Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
            Keuchel buried us in his stint. I'm surprised the Angels didn't pound his worst with how hot they have been before coming here. Regardless, the guys almost pulled it out.
            Right now I’d prefer Velasquez over Keuchel when Cueto is ready, but unfortunately Keuchel’s contract likely precludes that.

            Comment


            • #7
              I had turned it off after 8 hoping I could bring them some luck by ignoring them. I then followed a bit in the 9th but only on catching updates on the box score while I was working on the computer. I then saw the game was over at 6-4. I had no idea the final out by Robert had been reviewed and overturned until I came to this thread. Would have been awesome if Sheets could have singled to win the game. I'd have been seriously confused and probably forced myself to not watch another game for at least a week.
              Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...



              Comment


              • #8
                No moral victories unfortunately. Twins beat the Rays and now we're 4.5 out and in 3rd place. Hopefully one month from today on June 1st the Sox are closer to 1st by a few games. Keep inching forward and maybe run into a hot streak eventually.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I was at the game. The mood was not despondent during the game (99% of the people around us were Sox fans, but there were Angels fans at the park. I guess some SoCal people wanted to get away from sunny and warm weather for a weekend).

                  The bottom of the 9th was pretty exciting to witness, came close to being a Top 5 game for me (along with the 7/31/91 Robin Ventura Game and Game II of the World Series, among others).

                  Oh, Trout is kinda good at this Baseball game thing.

                  We'll get them tomorrow.

                  Oh, when the First Base Ump went 0-4 from New York, I told my buddy that somewhere Angel Hernandez was laughing (I did not see who was in the crew, but figured the odds were against him being one of the Umps).
                  Last edited by Dumpjerry; 05-01-2022, 06:14 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    At least they made a game out of it at the end. It was exciting to see it, and perhaps it will lead to better things in the near future.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post

                      Right now I’d prefer Velasquez over Keuchel when Cueto is ready, but unfortunately Keuchel’s contract likely precludes that.
                      Contract didn't get him on the playoff roster. If it's a choice between winning and losing...
                      I'm not into crypto yet and that makes me feel old.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by shingo10 View Post
                        No moral victories unfortunately. Twins beat the Rays and now we're 4.5 out and in 3rd place. Hopefully one month from today on June 1st the Sox are closer to 1st by a few games. Keep inching forward and maybe run into a hot streak eventually.
                        This team needs to wake up. 10 days ago we were tied for 1st and now we're 4.5 out. Hopefully the 9th inning almost-comeback is the beginnings of a turnaround, but the Twins aren't going to just roll over and this team can't continue to stumble. If we lose too much more ground in the next few weeks, it's going to be difficult to make that up.

                        All that "too good to fail" talk heading into this season isn't aging well. I'm no fan of how Keuchel is performing, but the problems go well beyond him. Teams that wait until the 9th to start scoring runs usually don't win regardless of who started the game for them.

                        Is this what we suffered through the rebuild years for?
                        White Sox Division Titles: 1983, 1993, 2000, 2005, 2008, 2021

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by berwyn View Post
                          Contract didn't get him on the playoff roster. If it's a choice between winning and losing...
                          Because the playoff roster is different - the full amount of his 2021 salary was already paid.

                          In this case, taking Keuchel off the active roster requires one of the following:

                          - an IL stint; or
                          - designated for assignment, followed by release

                          And in either case they are still on the hook for his 2022 salary.

                          The only way to get out of paying his salary is either trading him to another team, or releasing him and another team picks him up. And in the case of the latter, such a hypothetical team would likely only pay him the veteran minimum, requiring the Sox again to pay the remainder of his contracted salary.

                          I don’t know that JR is willing to eat that much money for a player no longer on the roster.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post

                            Because the playoff roster is different - the full amount of his 2021 salary was already paid.

                            In this case, taking Keuchel off the active roster requires one of the following:

                            - an IL stint; or
                            - designated for assignment, followed by release

                            And in either case they are still on the hook for his 2022 salary.

                            The only way to get out of paying his salary is either trading him to another team, or releasing him and another team picks him up. And in the case of the latter, such a hypothetical team would likely only pay him the veteran minimum, requiring the Sox again to pay the remainder of his contracted salary.

                            I don’t know that JR is willing to eat that much money for a player no longer on the roster.
                            JR's out the $$$ either way. If it's a choice between winning and losing... Wishing aside, he'll prolly stick around. There's more at stake here than JR's bank account. There's the reputation of the FO that signed a flop to a nice LT contract. That might count some in who stays and who goes. FO has to back up its decisions or admit it made a mistake.
                            I'm not into crypto yet and that makes me feel old.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Hitmen77 View Post

                              This team needs to wake up. 10 days ago we were tied for 1st and now we're 4.5 out. Hopefully the 9th inning almost-comeback is the beginnings of a turnaround, but the Twins aren't going to just roll over and this team can't continue to stumble. If we lose too much more ground in the next few weeks, it's going to be difficult to make that up.

                              All that "too good to fail" talk heading into this season isn't aging well. I'm no fan of how Keuchel is performing, but the problems go well beyond him. Teams that wait until the 9th to start scoring runs usually don't win regardless of who started the game for them.

                              Is this what we suffered through the rebuild years for?
                              As some of us pointed out during the offseason, this team is too unbalanced and can easily be shut down offensively by good (or, in some cases, fairly decent) right handed pitching. Prior to yesterday's game, they had a .554 OPS against right handers so far this year, worst in the league. Getting Moncada back in the lineup should help improve that number, but the overall imbalance remains.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X