Virtual Old Comiskey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual Old Comiskey

Not sure if this has been posted, but this is a really cool site. https://bandboxballparks.com/services/

Pretty cool, thanks for posting and bringing back so many memories, loved that place. Attended a lot of games from 1955 to 1990 and sat just about everywhere in the Palace from way out in the leftcenter field upper deck to the great box seats behind home plate also in the upper deck, only sat in the bleachers 1 time for the 1986 home opener. Also worked there as a vendor in 1962.
    Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 04-28-2022, 12:26 PM.
    Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

Comment

Very cool. Man, those seats in left field lower deck, way back in the corner under the roof are what I remember most. I remember looking up at those little TVs they had hanging from the poles.
      The sight lines seem terrible and the place feels very claustrophobic. I can only image how loud it got with all of those overhangs over the seats.

Comment

Originally posted by Madvora View Post
        Very cool. Man, those seats in left field lower deck, way back in the corner under the roof are what I remember most. I remember looking up at those little TVs they had hanging from the poles.
        The sight lines seem terrible and the place feels very claustrophobic. I can only image how loud it got with all of those overhangs over the seats.
        It got very loud as the place was double decked almost entirely except fot the CF bleachers but the big scoreboard also helped keep the noise in.
        There was an article in one of the Chicago papers when the Palace closed in 1990 and the author remarked that while Wrigley yayed, Comiskey roared.

Comment

I actually chuckled out loud when I started looking at the locations I used to sit it. I guess only computer generated graphics could make the park so clean.

Comment

Originally posted by Noneck View Post
            I actually chuckled out loud when I started looking at the locations I used to sit it. I guess only computer generated graphics could make the park so clean.
            Also missing was the unmistakable odor of urine mixed with cigar smoke and stockyard.

2022 Sox Attendance Tracker: 8-6
            All-time Sox Attendance Tracker: 308-259
            Posts on old WSI: 7344

Comment

Yup, this gussied up version sure brings up a chuckle or 5. Do like the graphics though. Kinda like showing up to the park all by yourself with a ring full of keys to have the place to explore at your leisure before a checkerboard hat grabs you by the earlobe and pulls you outa the place.

BK59

Comment

Originally posted by Chez View Post

Also missing was the unmistakable odor of urine mixed with cigar smoke and stockyard.
                That was called “ambiance” back in the day…

Comment

Originally posted by Chez View Post

And decaying, crumbling concrete has an odor of its own as well.

Comment

Yep, the graphics make it look antiseptic but I never thought the place was dirty.
                    It had the usual ballpark odors but on a hot summer night with a southwest breeze there was no stink like what came from the stockyards at any other ballpark in the country.
                    Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 04-29-2022, 02:23 PM.

Comment

My favorite seats were the reserved upper deck GA behind the plate next to the press box. $3 in 1972.

Comment

Originally posted by KenBerryGrab View Post
                        My favorite seats were the reserved upper deck GA behind the plate next to the press box. $3 in 1972.
                        They were good seats, I remember sitting there on the last game before the 1981 strike against the Yankees. My cousin and I were literally the last ones to leave the park, we were so sad, the Sox were playing really good and we didn't know when we would see baseball again and remember my cousin turning to me and saying, "god, I love this place."

Comment

Working...
                        X