The New Season 2022...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Season 2022...

Figured since the spring training thread is going to be closed as well as the 'who is going to Detroit?' one this is as good a place to start the first thread for the regular season.

Patrick Nolan from Sox Machine has an in-depth look at the Sox off season. I found it interesting and thorough:

https://soxmachine.com/analysis/grad...-22-offseason/

Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post
    Figured since the spring training thread is going to be closed as well as the 'who is going to Detroit?' one this is as good a place to start the first thread for the regular season.

Patrick Nolan from Sox Machine has an in-depth look at the Sox off season. I found it interesting and thorough:

pnoles does this every year, and usually he gets criticized for being overly negative. This year I think he’s right on target, though I would probably give the overall grade a C. Hahn’s best moves were the Pollock and McGuire deals, before them I was thinking a D would be generous.

Comment

Obama was at the Bulls game last night.... with Southpaw? I didn't know they were that close.

https://twitter.com/whitesox/status/...vorPynmXpDfgzA

Comment

Interesting assessment of the bullpen signings of Graveman and Kelly- I think I would have graded those higher- but I especially agree with the assessment of the Rodon decision- in a "go for it" season like 2022- that decision looks hyper conservative (from both a payroll and losing a draft pick perspective).
        #1 White Sox fan in Leland, MI

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post

pnoles does this every year, and usually he gets criticized for being overly negative. This year I think he’s right on target, though I would probably give the overall grade a C. Hahn’s best moves were the Pollock and McGuire deals, before them I was thinking a D would be generous.
          Yeah, last year I believe he gave either a D or an F to the Hendriks signing and bringing back Rodon.

I agree that he's pretty much on target this year and, if anything, is being a little generous with the B- overall grade. I'd also go with a C and that's buoyed by the Pollock and McGuire trades. But, this team is going to live or die with its starting pitching. They need one more solid starter as Kopech can only pitch so many innings and Keuchel cannot be relied upon. That the best they could do to address that was two dumpster-diving signings (Velasquez and Cueto) earns them a D as far as filling that need goes.
          White Sox Division Titles: 1983, 1993, 2000, 2005, 2008, 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Hitmen77 View Post

Yeah, last year I believe he gave either a D or an F to the Hendriks signing and bringing back Rodon.

I agree that he's pretty much on target this year and, if anything, is being a little generous with the B- overall grade. I'd also go with a C and that's buoyed by the Pollock and McGuire trades. But, this team is going to live or die with its starting pitching. They need one more solid starter as Kopech can only pitch so many innings and Keuchel cannot be relied upon. That the best they could do to address that was two dumpster-diving signings (Velasquez and Cueto) earns them a D as far as filling that need goes.
            The way I see it, Hahn had 5 things to address this off-season: (1) RF, (2) 2B, (3) SP, (4) RP, and (5) C (backup). He addressed 3 of the 5 with good options. 2B going to Harrison/Leury is underwhelming, and SP really wasn't addressed at all. Putting all the money into RP for the second year in a row, while not addressing the hole in the rotation with anyone better than Velazquez, is perplexing. But the Pollock and McGuire trades were huge helps - I just wish they could have occurred earlier in the offseason so we didn't have to worry until the final week.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post

The way I see it, Hahn had 5 things to address this off-season: (1) RF, (2) 2B, (3) SP, (4) RP, and (5) C (backup). He addressed 3 of the 5 with good options. 2B going to Harrison/Leury is underwhelming, and SP really wasn't addressed at all. Putting all the money into RP for the second year in a row, while not addressing the hole in the rotation with anyone better than Velazquez, is perplexing. But the Pollock and McGuire trades were huge helps - I just wish they could have occurred earlier in the offseason so we didn't have to worry until the final week.
              Things will never be perfect, but this seems to be this organization’s yearly song and dance when they take the tour on the road. Knowing where the holes are but never having enough dirt to fill them and have the tour bus end up in a ditch when they smash the pedal to the floor.

From the looks of things I don’t think they are gonna struggle putting numbers on the scoreboard, the question is, Are the pitching and defense gonna keep the opposition from doing likewise.

BK59

Comment

I would have given the Sox a C (at best). Once they decided to not give Rodon a QO coupled with the declining performance of Keuchel, they should have been focused on getting a quality SP. It still bugs me they didn't go after Kevin Gausman (and who BTW ends up on the team that I believe is our biggest competition for the ALCS). It was obvious we needed a SP. And we can grip about 2B. Harrison may be ok but certainly not a team-changing move. A.J. was pure genius. I would have been kinder on the BP. I understand the point of dollars being allocated but in today's game, the BP is extremely important. What really bothers me is our divisional rivals (Tigers/Twins) were really active in improving themselves. Yet, we seem to be there just watching from the sidelines. We were not aggressive in fixing our issues at SP, 2B, and RF (which finally did happen).

Comment

A very detailed breakout of all the outlets you can watch MLB games on this season, includes schedules so you'll know where the Sox are on, (assuming you have paid for the multiple streaming services):

https://awfulannouncing.com/schedule...ng-primer.html

Comment

Fegan reporting that both Moncada (oblique) and Burr will start the season on the IL. Burger recalled and will play 3B.

2022 Sox Attendance Tracker: 2-4
                    All-time Sox Attendance Tracker: 302-257
                    Posts on old WSI: 7344

Comment

Roster is now set:

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/wh...022-mlb-season

Also seeing reports Moncada (who didn't play in the last spring training game after tweeking his hip/side) was not taking batting practice in today's workout. We'll see if he's in the lineup tomorrow especially given the bad weather conditions. UPDATE: Sox have now put him on the IL

Sox players on the IL:

Pitchers: Burr, Crochet, Kelly, Lynn, Stiever.
                      Infielders: Mercedes, Moncada

I'll refrain from commenting further.

Comment

James Fegan

@JRFegan
                        Hahn said Moncada is out three weeks with a Grade 1 oblique strain. He said Ryan Burr should be back sooner. Hahn said Moncada wanted to play through it, but feels it whenever he laughs or sneezes…also when he swings.

Comment

Slavko Bekovic

@SBekovic
                          ·
                          6m
                          Tony La Russa announces tomorrow's #WhiteSox Opening Day lineup:
                          RF Pollock
                          CF Robert
                          1B Abreu
                          C Grandal
                          LF Jimenez
                          SS Garcia
                          2B Harrison
                          DH Vaughn
                          3B Burger

Comment

Roster is now set:

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/wh...022-mlb-season

Also seeing reports Moncada (who didn't play in the last spring training game after tweeking his hip/side) was not taking batting practice in today's workout. We'll see if he's in the lineup tomorrow especially given the bad weather conditions. UPDATE: Sox have now put him on the IL

Sox players on the IL:

Pitchers: Burr, Crochet, Kelly, Lynn, Stiever.
                            Infielders: Mercedes, Moncada

I'll refrain from commenting further.
                            Why start now? We all know you are going to bitch about the injuries whenever they happen and make snide comments about the medical staff so might as well just say what you want.

Comment

Hahn has just said Moncada is out "three weeks" maybe less if he gets better.

Comment

Working...
                              X