Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spring Training Part II

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Spring Training Part II

    Continue here.

  • #2
    https://twitter.com/jlazowski14/stat...8REkivO1C1Mcug

    I agree. Nothing against Vaughn's ability, but this is part of the risk when you're asking him to play RF.

    Comment


    • #3
      I would be so, so, so happy if today is an indication that Keuchel has returned to form. And I would be so, so, so unhappy is Vaughn is out for any considerable time.

      Comment


      • #4
        Looks like he landed hard on that hip, if it was something really serious I don't think he would have been able to get a throw back in like he did.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
          https://twitter.com/jlazowski14/stat...8REkivO1C1Mcug

          I agree. Nothing against Vaughn's ability, but this is part of the risk when you're asking him to play RF.
          And nothing he couldn't have done diving for a screaming liner up the line playing 1B.
          Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...



          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
            https://twitter.com/jlazowski14/stat...8REkivO1C1Mcug

            I agree. Nothing against Vaughn's ability, but this is part of the risk when you're asking him to play RF.
            It was almost the same play Pilar made just a few minutes earlier.

            Comment


            • #7
              Scott Merkin writes:

              Vaughn, who was one of the candidates for consistent playing time in right field this season, sustained an injury making a diving catch on Hanser Alberto’s line drive to right-center with Will Smith on first and nobody out in the fourth inning of the March 27 9-0 victory over the Dodgers. He stood up after making the catch and twisted a few times before fist-bumping center fielder Luis Robert and then talking to him for a bit. Vaughn stretched his right leg as well, before bending over in pain and calling for the trainer. The 23-year-old left the field on a cart and will undergo further evaluation.

              Apparently Burger left the game with left ankle discomfort as well.

              Comment


              • #8
                DVS of the Sun-Times with a story on the Sox outfielder trying to stay out of harm's way:

                https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-s...ox-outfielders

                Comment


                • #9
                  Vaughn will be okay.
                  Andrew Vaughn Injury Update is Huge Relief for White Sox (fanduel.com)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Dumpjerry View Post
                    I was all set to post how this is a huge relief, but I don't think this giving any new information? It just says that "he will be further evaluated for hip discomfort", citing Fegan's post from last night (not long after the injury occurred). The headline is misleading... "hip discomfort" could be lots of things.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
                      I would be so, so, so happy if today is an indication that Keuchel has returned to form.
                      Same here. I think many people tend to forget how good he was in 2020. It was a shortened season, but he finished 5th in Cy Young voting so it's not like he's many years removed from success. He's also never been a guy that relies on velocity to get hitters out. It also doesn't hurt that he will be playing for a contract in 2023 so he knows how important this season is for him individually as well as the team. It had to sting a bit for a veteran like him to be left off the playoff roster. He certainly had a brutal second half last year and that is fresh in everyone's mind so I get the skepticism. Keuchel was interviewed recently and mentioned nagging health issues last season threw his body and mechanics out of whack. If he is fully healthy and effective again, it adds a lot more length to our rotation. The 2020 results might not be realistic but something more along the lines of his 2018 and 2019 pitching lines would be more than acceptable and not unreasonable to think he can produce.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Foulke You View Post
                        Same here. I think many people tend to forget how good he was in 2020. It was a shortened season, but he finished 5th in Cy Young voting so it's not like he's many years removed from success. He's also never been a guy that relies on velocity to get hitters out. It also doesn't hurt that he will be playing for a contract in 2023 so he knows how important this season is for him individually as well as the team. It had to sting a bit for a veteran like him to be left off the playoff roster. He certainly had a brutal second half last year and that is fresh in everyone's mind so I get the skepticism. Keuchel was interviewed recently and mentioned nagging health issues last season threw his body and mechanics out of whack. If he is fully healthy and effective again, it adds a lot more length to our rotation. The 2020 results might not be realistic but something more along the lines of his 2018 and 2019 pitching lines would be more than acceptable and not unreasonable to think he can produce.
                        I agree, I think he could be a perfectly cromulent 5th starter. There's of course no way the Sox are going to take his $18M contract and put it in the bullpen, although he would fit in among the other high-priced relievers in there.

                        That said, there is risk based on his second half last year that he's completely toast, and if he starts the season the way he finished last year, what are they going to do? It would be nice if the Sox backup plan was better than Lopez and Vince Velazquez, especially because those guys are already going to be relied upon heavily out of the bullpen to fill in for Kopech's short starts due to his innings limit.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post

                          I was all set to post how this is a huge relief, but I don't think this giving any new information? It just says that "he will be further evaluated for hip discomfort", citing Fegan's post from last night (not long after the injury occurred). The headline is misleading... "hip discomfort" could be lots of things.
                          Agreed. Until the Sox say something official and that usually takes a few days, you still don't really know what may be going on.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post

                            Agreed. Until the Sox say something official and that usually takes a few days, you still don't really know what may be going on.
                            Here's the announcement from the team, and it is good news. Bruised hip pointer, he'll stay off it for 1-2 weeks. Best case scenario.

                            https://twitter.com/whitesox/status/...kVbOzJCKN4V0AQ

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post
                              Agreed. Until the Sox say something official and that usually takes a few days, you still don't really know what may be going on.
                              Yes, until we hear otherwise we should assume that he’ll need a full hip replacement or even have his leg amputated.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X