Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Documentary about Sox's near-move to Florida in works

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Documentary about Sox's near-move to Florida in works

    https://chicago.suntimes.com/2020/8/...-comiskey-park
    It has the same director from the Derrick Rose documentary, which I finally had the opportunity to watch on Marquee recently.

    Very interested in this. The story isn't remembered much these days outside of our fan base, so I'm glad this finally is getting the attention it deserves. My mom was pregnant with me when the vote went down, so thank God I didn't grow up with only the Cubs in town.
    https://chicago.suntimes.com/2020/8/...-comiskey-park

  • #2
    I've often wondered if the deal failed and the Sox wound up in Florida if Reinsdorf could ever show his face in Chicago again. He grew up in Brooklyn but made his fortune in Chicago and also owned the Bulls so he had ties to the city. In my mind it was Einhorn who was the one who was really behind the move as the only ties he had to Chicago was attending college in the city and was a vendor at Comiskey in the late 50's.
    Batting in the second position for the White Sox, number 2, the second baseman Nelson Fox.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
      I've often wondered if the deal failed and the Sox wound up in Florida if Reinsdorf could ever show his face in Chicago again. He grew up in Brooklyn but made his fortune in Chicago and also owned the Bulls so he had ties to the city. In my mind it was Einhorn who was the one who was really behind the move as the only ties he had to Chicago was attending college in the city and was a vendor at Comiskey in the late 50's.
      He'd have had to unload the Bulls, sure as there's a God in Heaven. But I don't think he thought it would get to that and he's a lucky guy it didn't. He was caught in EE's web and would have deserved what he got for being a follower. Doesn't make it any easier to like him, does it?
      Best reason Rick Hahn should be out of work? Statistics.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by berwyn View Post

        He'd have had to unload the Bulls, sure as there's a God in Heaven. But I don't think he thought it would get to that and he's a lucky guy it didn't. He was caught in EE's web and would have deserved what he got for being a follower. Doesn't make it any easier to like him, does it?
        Never have liked him or EE.
        Batting in the second position for the White Sox, number 2, the second baseman Nelson Fox.

        Comment


        • #5
          I don't have a problem with Reinsdorf.
          Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...



          Comment


          • #6
            Considering that former governor James Thompson recently passed away, I would think he would receive some mention in this documentary. The man was paramount in making sure the bill in Springfield for a new stadium got passed at the eleventh hour on the last day of June in 1988, right before the assembly was going to adjourn for the summer. At this point in time the Sox were ready to relocate to St. Petersburg because the locals promised to build Reinsdorf a stadium. Odd thing is Thompson was not a Sox fan. He wasn't even a sports fan. But he felt it was critical to keep the White Sox in Chicago and called on a number of reps in Springfield whom owed him a favor to support the new stadium bill. It passed and the Sox remained in Chicago.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by fungo bat View Post
              Considering that former governor James Thompson recently passed away, I would think he would receive some mention in this documentary. The man was paramount in making sure the bill in Springfield for a new stadium got passed at the eleventh hour on the last day of June in 1988, right before the assembly was going to adjourn for the summer.
              Actually, it was past "the eleventh hour" when Big Jim's arm twisting succeeded. They just pretended it wasn't, and entered into the official record that the bill passed at 11:59, even though it was actually past midnight. I remember some saying that he actually went to the clock and pushed the minute hand back, but I don't know if that really happened or not.

              Comment


              • #8
                The Herald had a good interview with White Sox historian Richard Lindberg today regarding the near move to Tampa in 1988.

                Steve Zalusky looks back at the history of the Chicago White Sox with White Sox historian Rich Lindberg.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Wsoxmike59 View Post
                  The Herald had a good interview with White Sox historian Richard Lindberg today regarding the near move to Tampa in 1988.
                  Too bad the sweetheart lease is not set to expire sooner than it is. Arlington Park is now the perfect location.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X