Carlos Rodon Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carlos Rodon Appreciation Thread

Thanks for the memories, Carlos. Good luck in San Fran.

Nice he got paid. Two years makes sense.

Thanks for the year and this all-time moment.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20210414_215244.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	509.9 KB
ID:	57700

Comment

What could have been.
      Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

Comment

A storybook ending to a storybook 2021 season. Glad to see Carlos finally cash in.
        "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
        -- Thucydides

Comment

That's a lot of money for a pitcher with his injury history. Giants must have made sure he is going to be healthy. You knew the Sox resigning him was a fantasy and frankly I can't really blame them given his situation last year. Wish him well.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post
            That's a lot of money for a pitcher with his injury history. Giants must have made sure he is going to be healthy. You knew the Sox resigning him was a fantasy and frankly I can't really blame them given his situation last year. Wish him well.
            Agree on everything, big gamble signing him especially 2 years-44 million.

Comment

Originally posted by LITTLE NELL View Post

Agree on everything, big gamble signing him especially 2 years-44 million.
              Short term deals are rarely a big risk. If it hurts them it's only for a couple years. Baseball has so much money flowing in this won't be a problem even if Rodon's shoulder falls off in April.
              Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

Originally posted by voodoo Chile View Post

Short term deals are rarely a big risk. If it hurts them it's only for a couple years. Baseball has so much money flowing in this won't be a problem even if Rodon's shoulder falls off in April.
                The problem is at what point do the fans say I won't pay this much to go to a ball game to sustain these ridiculous salaries. I was checking Rays spring training games today and they want 55 bucks to sit on the grass out in left field and 110 bucks for a box seat, I for one won't pay that and I wonder who else will with gas and everything else skyrocketing with the inflation problem, Baseball and other sports will suffer.
                Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 03-12-2022, 08:48 AM.

Comment

The Sox non-tendering Rodon last winter and then re-signing him was like him winning the Power Ball jackpot.

I wish Carlos well - he seems like a genuinely good guy, but his unreliability made me nervous about signing him to a big contract.
                  My man Vincent says:

"Gogh Gogh White Sox!"

Comment

The problem is at what point do the fans say I won't pay this much to go to a ball game to sustain these ridiculous salaries. I was checking Rays spring training games today and they want 55 bucks to sit on the grass out in left field and 110 bucks for a box seat, I for one won't pay that and I wonder who else will with gas and everything else skyrocketing with the inflation problem, Baseball and other sports will suffer.
                    Well stated oldtimer. Only so much discretionary income to go around to budget for entertainment, and at a certain point the feasibility to fork out at a certain price point makes it unattainable. I’m as shocked as you that sitting in the Bermuda grass will set you back $55 big ones….. For a SPRING TRAINING game no less. Hard to wrap one’s head around this.

BK59

Comment

And yet the Rays are in the bottom third in the league in salary. It's almost like there's no direct correlation between players' salary and ticket prices.

To stay on topic, I wish Rodon well and hope he is able to finally stay healthy and reach his full potential, but I'm glad the White Sox are not the ones taking the risk that he will.

Comment

If demand (fan interest in attending live games) drops then supply (prices to attend games) will also drop. Ticket prices are not set by player salaries but by how much the market (fans) will bear (price),

IF player salaries become a motivating factor in causing fans to refuse to attend games that would have the effect you are discussing, but so far it hasn't proved that way - in fact just the opposite especially for teams like SF which came very close to making the NLCS last year. In general teams on the rise that spend money on key positions of need for potential or established stars see a surge in ticket sales.

If the Sox had signed Rodon to this deal do you think fans would have been more or less likely to buy tickets this season?

ST games are always in high demand because there aren't many of them. With ST overlapping Spring Break festivities and a massive influx of tourist, demand is likely to skyrocket. Obviously Rodon's salary has nothing to do with the cost of ST games for Tampa. Tampa having many years of sustained success is driving ticket prices up. If you're a Rays fan I doubt you are complaining about paying a bit more to see a winning club.
                        Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

He should still be on the Sox this year. We will all miss him after we see what the Sox 5th starter will do this year.

Comment

I always rooted for Carlos, and I'm glad he get a season of redemption on the South Side last year. Best of luck in SF.

Comment

Working...
                            X