Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sox Spring Training and Post Lockout Off Season Thread

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sox Spring Training and Post Lockout Off Season Thread

    One thread to rule them all...

    Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...




  • #2
    Headed to AZ tomorrow for a family wedding, and now, Spring Training!!

    Comment


    • #3
      I debated where to put this idea, since it is Sox-centric, but it also has to do with the universal DH and NL teams. So if it needs to be moved/split, cool.

      Anyway, with the NL adopting the DH permanently, the Sox ought to be “open for business” with their plethora of corner bats. There are only so many plate appearances to be shared among Abreu, Vaughn, Sheets, and Burger. Even Mercedes and Collins might be of interest to rebuilding teams.

      Personally I’d like to keep Sheets since he’s a natural lefty, the statistics show he has hit best when he’s DHing, and the Sox otherwise have a dearth of LH power capable of hitting the high fastball. (Grandal and Moncada are natural righties, which means that when they hit LH their bottom hand is stronger and therefore they are better at hitting the low fastball.) I guess for me, then, that makes Burger and Mercedes expendable, and I’d put Vaughn in RF and keep Collins as the backup catcher. (Eventually, when Abreu is done, Sheets/Vaughn split 1B/DH and Colas takes over RF.)

      So, to kick start some discussion: Which NL teams might be interested in which Sox surplus corner bats, and what might the Sox be able to get in return?

      Comment


      • #4
        Another discussion topic is filling out remaining roster holes. Evidently the Sox are 5th in player payroll. While of course I’d like to see them go out and fill every hole with stars, I also know that doing so would be a triumph of hope over experience.

        I think it’s more likely they have one more “big” salary addition, and fill other holes internally/on the cheap.

        Given the Sox have some interesting options on the position player side, and given that we’re going to see numerous scheduled nine-inning doubleheaders, I’d prioritize starting pitching. There really aren’t any prospects who project to be even mid-rotation starters; McClure, Lambert, and Stiever look like 6th starters/swing men to me. So I think I’d try to re-sign Rodon and ensure the rotation remains deep and strong:

        Giolito
        Rodon
        Lynn
        Cease
        Kopech
        Keuchel
        Lopez

        Assuming that eats up Hahn’s permitted payroll, I’d be OK going with Vaughn in RF (while we wait on Colas for 2023), try Romy Gonzalez at 2B (with Leury as backup/platoon caddy), have Sheets DH (at least against RHP), and let Collins be the backup catcher.

        I’d keep Kimbrel, but if they need to clear payroll to afford Rodon I’d do a salary dump in exchange for a prospect.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
          Another discussion topic is filling out remaining roster holes. Evidently the Sox are 5th in player payroll. While of course I’d like to see them go out and fill every hole with stars, I also know that doing so would be a triumph of hope over experience.

          I think it’s more likely they have one more “big” salary addition, and fill other holes internally/on the cheap.

          Given the Sox have some interesting options on the position player side, and given that we’re going to see numerous scheduled nine-inning doubleheaders, I’d prioritize starting pitching. There really aren’t any prospects who project to be even mid-rotation starters; McClure, Lambert, and Stiever look like 6th starters/swing men to me. So I think I’d try to re-sign Rodon and ensure the rotation remains deep and strong:

          Giolito
          Rodon
          Lynn
          Cease
          Kopech
          Keuchel
          Lopez

          Assuming that eats up Hahn’s permitted payroll, I’d be OK going with Vaughn in RF (while we wait on Colas for 2023), try Romy Gonzalez at 2B (with Leury as backup/platoon caddy), have Sheets DH (at least against RHP), and let Collins be the backup catcher.

          I’d keep Kimbrel, but if they need to clear payroll to afford Rodon I’d do a salary dump in exchange for a prospect.
          Trading Kimbrel is a necessary first step that needs to happen right away. That $18M can be spread around 3-4 positions of greater need.

          There have been rumors that the Sox will try to address SP through a trade with Oakland, who is trying to shed salary (reportedly). Bruce Levine hinted at the possibility yesterday.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post

            Trading Kimbrel is a necessary first step that needs to happen right away. That $18M can be spread around 3-4 positions of greater need.

            There have been rumors that the Sox will try to address SP through a trade with Oakland, who is trying to shed salary (reportedly). Bruce Levine hinted at the possibility yesterday.
            That sounds good initially but who do the Sox have to give up to get a pitcher? I hope it is Vaughn or Shields. Our minor leagues aren't jammed with an excess of talent. That is why I want us to at least see what Rodon will cost. I rather have Jerry loose money than the Sox loose talent.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by longtimefan View Post

              That sounds good initially but who do the Sox have to give up to get a pitcher? I hope it is Vaughn or Shields. Our minor leagues aren't jammed with an excess of talent. That is why I want us to at least see what Rodon will cost. I rather have Jerry loose money than the Sox loose talent.
              Both Bassitt and Manaea have 1 year left on their deals, in the $9M-$10M range. I don't think it would cost any top prospects.

              Comment


              • #8
                Hahn is speaking to the media right now. Says that he's more concerned about pitching than position players at the moment.

                https://twitter.com/JRFegan/status/1...EfM68yFlVVz-8g

                I still don't see them rolling out Leury at 2B and Vaughn/Engel in RF. Good to know he's not satisfied on the pitching front, though.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
                  Hahn is speaking to the media right now. Says that he's more concerned about pitching than position players at the moment.

                  https://twitter.com/JRFegan/status/1...EfM68yFlVVz-8g

                  I still don't see them rolling out Leury at 2B and Vaughn/Engel in RF. Good to know he's not satisfied on the pitching front, though.
                  Yes, agreed, those are sub-optimal position player “solutions” but the shortened spring training plus the scheduled 9-inning doubleheaders changes the priority order for me:

                  1. Starting pitcher;

                  2. Second base;

                  3. Right field;

                  4. Backup catcher

                  If we can significantly strengthen the rotation - pushing Keuchel to 6th starter/fill-in starter and Lopez to 7th/emergency - I’m willing to go with internal options at the positions.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    This may be posturing but with this organization who knows for sure what is going on.

                    Rick Hahn this morning: "We are prepared to go forward with the roster we have right now..."

                    OK then.

                    I'm assuming they can't be dumb enough to honestly think they don't need to fill some holes.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post
                      This may be posturing but with this organization who knows for sure what is going on.

                      Rick Hahn this morning: "We are prepared to go forward with the roster we have right now..."

                      OK then.

                      I'm assuming they can't be dumb enough to honestly think they don't need to fill some holes.
                      Gotta love our White Sox. Hey, when mediocrity is the benchmark for success, why tip over the Apple cart.

                      BK59

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post
                        This may be posturing but with this organization who knows for sure what is going on.

                        Rick Hahn this morning: "We are prepared to go forward with the roster we have right now..."

                        OK then.

                        I'm assuming they can't be dumb enough to honestly think they don't need to fill some holes.
                        It may very well be posturing, but I’d say the exact same thing. No reason to undercut - even if ever so slightly - one’s negotiating position.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          You almost have to believe JR isn’t going to be dumping new money into the team when he is already going to be paying more elsewhere with the new CBA. You know they are high in Vaughn and LaRussa ****ing loves Garcia well beyond the mediocre utility guy he is, so this just might be our team.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Domeshot17 View Post
                            You almost have to believe JR isn’t going to be dumping new money into the team when he is already going to be paying more elsewhere with the new CBA. You know they are high in Vaughn and LaRussa ****ing loves Garcia well beyond the mediocre utility guy he is, so this just might be our team.
                            It very well may. Barring injuries, which the Sox haven't been able to dodge for the past several years, not just last year, and with a brutal A.L. it still should be enough to win a weak division. But after that?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post
                              This may be posturing but with this organization who knows for sure what is going on.

                              Rick Hahn this morning: "We are prepared to go forward with the roster we have right now..."

                              OK then.

                              I'm assuming they can't be dumb enough to honestly think they don't need to fill some holes.
                              This was just the first half of what he said. Right after that:

                              Scott Merkin

                              @scottmerkin

                              Hahn: "We are prepared to go forward with the roster we have right now." But he said they are well aware there are areas they can improve the club and will exhaust those options in the coming weeks. He added pitching is a bit more of a priority right now.
                              11:12 AM · Mar 11, 2022

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X