Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Chili Dog M.V.P." book update...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "Chili Dog M.V.P." book update...

    The book on Dick Allen and the 1972 White Sox is in the final proofing stage. Will be going to the printers next week. Book is 450 pages long! I've been told there are already over a thousand pre orders.

    Here is the link to order the book for those interested:

    https://chilidogmvp.com/order-the-book/

    Full disclosure, I was involved in providing historical information but I am not one of the authors and don't get any money from the sale of the book.

  • #2
    Thanks for the heads-up, Lip! (Pre) order placed!
    Last edited by davenicholson; 01-08-2022, 03:42 PM. Reason: Typo

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post
      The book on Dick Allen and the 1972 White Sox is in the final proofing stage. Will be going to the printers next week. Book is 450 pages long! I've been told there are already over a thousand pre orders.

      Here is the link to order the book for those interested:

      https://chilidogmvp.com/order-the-book/

      Full disclosure, I was involved in providing historical information but I am not one of the authors and don't get any money from the sale of the book.
      I pre-ordered it after seeing a Daily Herald article on it posted on Facebook. 450 pages?? Great! Means there will be plenty of info.

      Comment


      • #4
        I can’t wait to get my hands on this book. 1972 was such a magical season, and Dick Allen almost single handedly lead the Sox to the West Division title.

        I also remember the Sox wound up with the 2nd best record in the American League that year, so it was a tough pill to swallow watching the A’s take on the Tigers in the ALCS thinking it should’ve been the Sox in the Playoffs.

        Also by a quirk in the schedule due to the Players strike in 1972 the Tigers actually played one more game then the runner up Red Sox and finished a 1/2 game ahead of Boston. I always that was a great injustice to Boston. MLB should’ve had a 1 game playoff between them to decide the AL East.

        Comment


        • #5
          I never tire of this video. Brings back such wonderful memories of a terrific Summer.
          I can’t wait until the book arrives.
           

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Wsoxmike59 View Post
            I never tire of this video. Brings back such wonderful memories of a terrific Summer.
            I can’t wait until the book arrives.
            That was from the 40th anniversary celebration that I co-hosted. The historical audio and video was supplied from my library.
            Last edited by Lipman 1; 01-24-2022, 03:03 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Wsoxmike59 View Post
              I never tire of this video. Brings back such wonderful memories of a terrific Summer.
              I can’t wait until the book arrives.
              This team was such a thrill to watch after those horrible late 60’s teams after the 67 swoon. My Sox were back in the hunt and could finally get back to the Series that eluded them 5 seasons earlier. It wasn’t to be, but damn it was a nice joy ride that season.

              This book is a definite addition to BigKlu’s big brain library.

              BK59
              Last edited by BigKlu59; 01-24-2022, 03:23 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by BigKlu59 View Post

                This team was such a thrill to watch after those horrible late 60’s teams after the 67 swoon.

                BK59
                I was fortunate enough to be completely unaware of the 1970 season, because I was on vacation in sunny southeast Asia.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Nellie Fox View Post
                  I was fortunate enough to be completely unaware of the 1970 season, because I was on vacation in sunny southeast Asia.
                  I was on vacation over there for the 68 season, the first losing season that the Sox had since I became a fan in 1952 but I followed them in the Stars and Stripes newspaper. I made it home in time for 2 horrible seasons, 69 and 70. 1971 was like winning the pennant compared to 69 and 70. Then came 72 and if Melton didn't hurt his back we probably would have won the division.
                  Hard to believe we are coming up on the 50th anniversary of the 72 season and Allen's amazing heroics.
                  Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 01-24-2022, 05:44 PM.
                  Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Wsoxmike59 View Post
                    I can’t wait to get my hands on this book. 1972 was such a magical season, and Dick Allen almost single handedly lead the Sox to the West Division title.

                    I also remember the Sox wound up with the 2nd best record in the American League that year, so it was a tough pill to swallow watching the A’s take on the Tigers in the ALCS thinking it should’ve been the Sox in the Playoffs.

                    Also by a quirk in the schedule due to the Players strike in 1972 the Tigers actually played one more game then the runner up Red Sox and finished a 1/2 game ahead of Boston. I always that was a great injustice to Boston. MLB should’ve had a 1 game playoff between them to decide the AL East.
                    Because of the labor dispute over the pension fund 1972 was the first time the MLBPA went on strike. (The White Sox by the way were the first team to authorize the union to take that action if necessary) It was decided in the settlement that missed games would not be made up which is why Detroit played one more game than Boston.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Youze guys get the email about the delay in shipment? Mine popped up yesterday saying maybe in our hot little hands by March. Was hoping mid Feb in time for Spring Training, but as long as it arrives before opening day I’ll be a happy camper.

                      BK59

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by BigKlu59 View Post
                        Youze guys get the email about the delay in shipment? Mine popped up yesterday saying maybe in our hot little hands by March. Was hoping mid Feb in time for Spring Training, but as long as it arrives before opening day I’ll be a happy camper.

                        BK59
                        I was told by Dr. Fletcher that COVID issues are causing delays.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          My copy just came in the mail this afternoon. Just read the foreword by Goose Gossage. It looks like it will be an excellent book and the print quality is outstanding. The pictures both b/w and color are very crisp and sharp.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Hopefully mine arrives in the next few days. Been looking for the postman daily for this tome.

                            BK59

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Nice review by Rick Kogan of the Tribune:

                              'Chili Dog MVP' book covers Dick Allen and Chicago White Sox - Chicago Tribune

                              2022 Sox Attendance Tracker: 2-4
                              All-time Sox Attendance Tracker: 302-257
                              Posts on old WSI: 7344

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X