Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building the 2022 White Sox (Part II)...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building the 2022 White Sox (Part II)...

Continuation of the original thread...

In my opinion the three big priorities are now (after qualifying offers, players declared free agents etc.):

1. Starting pitching
    2. Second base
    3. Right field
    4. Bullpen

For a 93 win team that's a hell of a lot of issues isn't it?

Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post

In my opinion the three big priorities are now (after qualifying offers, players declared free agents etc.):

1. Starting pitching
    2. Second base
    3. Right field
    4. Bullpen

Pretty standard I'd imagine actually. We don't need a LOT of starting pitching just one guy and we even have potential internal options and that's if Keuchel is truly toast. How many teams go into an off season knowing who 4 of their starters are next year and feeling pretty good about them? If all they find is a solid #3/4 type pitcher they would be fine and would be 7 deep before getting to Lambert or Crochet.

I'd prioritize 2B over RF. I'm cool with Vaughn in RF, but if they want to go get Bryant, I'm fine with that too, I'd just rather put the money into 2B. Might not even need to be a long blockbuster contract. They have some internal options up and coming. Same for RF.

Bullpen is a priority for every team every season. Again, might be some internal guys coming up that can help. Lots of live arms got bumped to AAA to end the season.
    Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

1. Starting pitching
      2. Second base
      3. Right field
      4. Bullpen

I'd say that's pretty standard for good teams to have this many "needs". I'd add backup C to the mix because I don't think any of us want to go through another season where Collins and Zavala are the only options back there.

Comment

Originally posted by voodoochile View Post

Pretty standard I'd imagine actually. We don't need a LOT of starting pitching just one guy and we even have potential internal options and that's if Keuchel is truly toast. How many teams go into an off season knowing who 4 of their starters are next year and feeling pretty good about them? If all they find is a solid #3/4 type pitcher they would be fine and would be 7 deep before getting to Lambert or Crochet.

I'd prioritize 2B over RF. I'm cool with Vaughn in RF, but if they want to go get Bryant, I'm fine with that too, I'd just rather put the money into 2B. Might not even need to be a long blockbuster contract. They have some internal options up and coming. Same for RF.

Bullpen is a priority for every team every season. Again, might be some internal guys coming up that can help. Lots of live arms got bumped to AAA to end the season.
        I agree with you that one more legit starter is all they need, but I don't share your optimism regarding the depth of the starting pitching in the organization. There are really only 3 sure things in the rotation (Giolito, Lynn, Cease). I worry about Kopech's ability to hold up for an entire season as a starter after only pitching 70 innings this year, and we know about Keuchel's issues. Lopez was really good in the swingman role this year, and that's where he'll likely be again, but they need more depth than that. Lambert and Crochet I don't see as viable options other than a maybe 1-2 spot starts. Stiever is injured. So I think I'd also expect a veteran to be brought in as minor league depth.

I agree on 2B over RF just because there are more internal options in RF, though I'd like to see additions in both spots. I expect an OF addition that is left-handed, because I think TLR will insist on having at least one viable LH option in the outfield - currently the only lefty outfielders on the 40-man are Rutherford and Sheets, and it's a stretch to say that Sheets is an OF. Conforto would be fantastic, but it sounds like he's going to draw a lot of interest around the league.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post

I agree with you that one more legit starter is all they need, but I don't share your optimism regarding the depth of the starting pitching in the organization. There are really only 3 sure things in the rotation (Giolito, Lynn, Cease). I worry about Kopech's ability to hold up for an entire season as a starter after only pitching 70 innings this year, and we know about Keuchel's issues. Lopez was really good in the swingman role this year, and that's where he'll likely be again, but they need more depth than that. Lambert and Crochet I don't see as viable options other than a maybe 1-2 spot starts. Stiever is injured. So I think I'd also expect a veteran to be brought in as minor league depth.

I agree on 2B over RF just because there are more internal options in RF, though I'd like to see additions in both spots. I expect an OF addition that is left-handed, because I think TLR will insist on having at least one viable LH option in the outfield - currently the only lefty outfielders on the 40-man are Rutherford and Sheets, and it's a stretch to say that Sheets is an OF. Conforto would be fantastic, but it sounds like he's going to draw a lot of interest around the league.
          I have more faith in Lambert. Last year was his first at AAA and he already showed signs of being able to hold his own in the majors. Assuming he hasn't already peaked then he's likely to play a role as at least a 5th starter in years to come. At minimum he's trade bait.

Comment

I'd say that's pretty standard for good teams to have this many "needs". I'd add backup C to the mix because I don't think any of us want to go through another season where Collins and Zavala are the only options back there.
            Hahn has already pretty much said the team will be using internal options at BU catcher. You can throw Carlos Perez into the mix also, though he's only recently been promoted to AAA. His defense is rated well.

Comment

Completely agree on your take with the starting pitching situation. And it's already been stated by Hahn that Crochet will be used in 2022 like Kopech was used in 2021 so he isn't really a starting possibility.

Comment

Agreed on the idea of getting a major upgrade at 2B and then rolling with internal options (Vaughn/Sheets/Engel) in RF. They could do it the other way around and sign someone like Conforto, but then they'd still need to get a serviceable 2B because none of the internal 2B options are acceptable as an everyday starter on a pennant contending team. Maybe they can get someone serviceable by trading Kimbrel.

Regardless, I hope the Sox decide to put on the big boy pants and decide THEY are the team that is going to land a big-ticket FA such as Conforto or Semien. Their contention window is wide open now. These next couple of seasons are the time to go big or go home.

I think they need one more legit starter, too. But, I don't hold out much hope for them getting anything more than some scrap heap reclamation project. As Lip mentioned in the old thread, Garfien tweeted that the Sox don't have room in their rotation as they have Gio, Lynn, Cease, Kopech, and Keuchel. He noted that Keuchel is under contract. Like it or not, this should tell us what the FO is thinking in terms a need for more starting pitching this winter.
                White Sox Division Titles: 1983, 1993, 2000, 2005, 2008, 2021

Comment

Reports are the A's are willing to listen to any offers for their top starting pitchers. Would love to get either Bassitt or Montas back.

Comment

Reports are the A's are willing to listen to any offers for their top starting pitchers. Would love to get either Bassitt or Montas back.
                    Bassitt would be a nice addition depending on price. I do not want to trade Vaughn or Sheets.

Comment

Hahn has already pretty much said the team will be using internal options at BU catcher. You can throw Carlos Perez into the mix also, though he's only recently been promoted to AAA. His defense is rated well.
                      We'll see what happens, but I really don't believe that. It was a problem area this year and a very inexpensive issue to solve.

Comment

DVS of the Sun-Times spoke with Hahn at the GM meetings, basically came out and said Kimbrel is going to be traded expressed confidence in a right field rotation of Vaughn, Sheets and Engel also mentioned (gulp) Mendick and Gonzales as second base possibilities. As per usual said a lot but really didn't say much specific. We'll see.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-s...-craig-kimbrel

Comment

DVS of the Sun-Times spoke with Hahn at the GM meetings, basically came out and said Kimbrel is going to be traded
                          Maybe the Cubs would give Madrigal for him.
                          Last edited by Nellie Fox; 11-10-2021, 12:58 AM.

Comment

The idea that Hahn is going to tell a reporter, “We plan to target this free agent and we’re working on a trade for that guy,” is ludicrous.

So for him to mention internal solutions now, before Thanksgiving, on the eve of a lockout, does not mean much.

Maybe we do end up with internal solutions at all these positions, but right now I don’t believe that anything Hahn tells a reporter is determinative.

Comment

DVS of the Sun-Times spoke with Hahn at the GM meetings, basically came out and said Kimbrel is going to be traded expressed confidence in a right field rotation of Vaughn, Sheets and Engel also mentioned (gulp) Mendick and Gonzales as second base possibilities. As per usual said a lot but really didn't say much specific. We'll see.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-s...-craig-kimbrel
                              Pump the breaks there as there is no direct quote from Hahn as to that situation. All the article is says is
                              although Hahn seems comfortable with a combination of Andrew Vaughn, Gavin Sheets and Adam Engel in right.
                              Seems comfortable is not expressing confidence. I am not comfortable with that rotation. I want them to go and get a legit LH power hitting RF who can play defense. Not sold on Vaughn and Sheets being able to provide enough offense and defense for a team contending for a World Series. But, like most things with this organization, they are going to do things their way and be stubborn about it. That's all they can do when they have .50 cents to spend.

Comment

Working...
                              X