Pitching Inside and Hitting Batters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitching Inside and Hitting Batters

A previous thread was closed and the last subject covered was Abreu getting nailed and the White Sox failure to hit back so to speak. I said basically that this was a failure in not retaliating and Voodoo said that it was wrong and closed the thread.

Where do you guys stand on this subject. Our best RBI hitter gets nailed on purpose time after time and they started hitting Robert who pretty much stays very far away in the batters box
    and the White Sox I think have the lowest HBP in baseball by their pitchers. So, basically, the opposing pitchers can throw at anyone that they want to our our team but our team doesn't do the same. Is that right? Anyone ever been hit by even an 80 mph fastball anywhere on their body? IT ****ING HURTS. And our hitters get nailed all of the time.

To me, this is total bull**** on the part of both the manager of the team and the pitchers on the team. I hit batters on purpose when they did the same to my teammates. I even taught pitchers HOW to hit a player on purpose(while looking oh so innocent BTW) Its been part of baseball ever since Doubleday invented the game. You don't throw at a guy's head but yeah, you drill the guy in the back when your guy gets nailed. Yeah, I've been in some fights both as a player and coach when this **** happens and the so-called "purists" abhor the idea but you do not sit back and take **** and survive very long by doing it.

If I were the White Sox pitchers next season, I would make sure that they talk amongst themselves about how they are going PROTECT their teammates next year. Pitchers do not hit in the AL so it is up to them to protect their teammates. And the cheating STROS would be on the top of my list

All I'll say is that back in the day, in TLR's first stint as Sox manager, he wouldn't have thought twice about having someone drilled in the rear end or hip area.

Comment

I think it’s bull**** and I am glad we are getting away from it as a sport. Too easy to miss or have a goy duck/flinch into an injury. Once you go at a guy there are always chances to injure. These aren’t the minor league or college pitchers that you got drilled by, Bird. These guys throw 100, and at that speed you can do serious damage.

FYI, I closed the thread because the game was over and this is a separate discussion.
      Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post
        All I'll say is that back in the day, in TLR's first stint as Sox manager, he wouldn't have thought twice about having someone drilled in the rear end or hip area.
        No he wouldn't. That was because he had to if he wanted to stay as a manager and not have a rebellion on his team. But some teams are still doing it and the White Sox are not and that is on tony and on the pitching staff. Anyone think that in the Cuban, DR, and South AMerican games that guys don't get drilled all of the time. think that doesn't go on in college, even high school, and certainly in the minor leagues? It sure does.

Comment

Originally posted by voodoochile View Post
          I think it’s bull**** and I am glad we are getting away from it as a sport. Too easy to miss or have a goy duck/flinch into an injury. Once you go at a guy there are always chances to injure. These aren’t the minor league or college pitchers that you got drilled by, Bird. These guys throw 100, and at that speed you can do serious damage.

FYI, I closed the thread because the game was over and this is a separate discussion.
          What do you think Abreu really thinks about his pitchers not protecting him? How about Robert? Jimenez? I know that they are pissed off. Abreu basically had his last month of the season ruined by injuries suffered. And LaRussa and the Sox pitchers did NOTHING. What would you say if one of those 24 drillings that occurred to Abreu had broke something. It might as well have teh way his season finished. How about Robert getting beaned by an intentional fastball? Then what? What do you do, send a pointed message to the umpire's union or the commish's office?

By the way, minor league and college pitchers throw just about as hard, as major league pitchers. I mentioned 80 mph because it really hurts to get hit by 80. 80 can break your finger, your wrist. your elbow, give you a major league concussion. I also said that personally I am against throwing at a guy's head but that sometimes happens by accident when a guy is just trying to hit a guy in the back.

So, voodoo, what should the White Sox manager and their pitchers do? Keep staying away from hitters and not even the score at all? And let their hitters go down with injuries or worse? *******s like Baker, and Hinch aren't going to stop doing it until they get a taste of their own medicine. Besides, I'd love to have Abreu take his anger out on the smirky assed ***** on the Tigers on a personal visit to the mound
          Last edited by Bird Of Prey; 10-15-2021, 12:24 PM.

Comment

I would send Pito an elbow/upper arm guard for Christmas and ask him to wear it during spring training so that he feels comfortable wearing it during the regular season.

2021 Sox Attendance Tracker: 13-6
            All-time Sox Attendance Tracker: 300-253
            Posts on old WSI: 7344

Comment

Originally posted by Bird Of Prey View Post
              A previous thread was closed and the last subject covered was Abreu getting nailed and the White Sox failure to hit back so to speak. I said basically that this was a failure in not retaliating and Voodoo said that it was wrong and closed the thread.

Where do you guys stand on this subject. Our best RBI hitter gets nailed on purpose time after time and they started hitting Robert who pretty much stays very far away in the batters box
              and the White Sox I think have the lowest HBP in baseball by their pitchers. So, basically, the opposing pitchers can throw at anyone that they want to our our team but our team doesn't do the same. Is that right? Anyone ever been hit by even an 80 mph fastball anywhere on their body? IT ****ING HURTS. And our hitters get nailed all of the time.

To me, this is total bull**** on the part of both the manager of the team and the pitchers on the team. I hit batters on purpose when they did the same to my teammates. I even taught pitchers HOW to hit a player on purpose(while looking oh so innocent BTW) Its been part of baseball ever since Doubleday invented the game. You don't throw at a guy's head but yeah, you drill the guy in the back when your guy gets nailed. Yeah, I've been in some fights both as a player and coach when this **** happens and the so-called "purists" abhor the idea but you do not sit back and take **** and survive very long by doing it.

If I were the White Sox pitchers next season, I would make sure that they talk amongst themselves about how they are going PROTECT their teammates next year. Pitchers do not hit in the AL so it is up to them to protect their teammates. And the cheating STROS would be on the top of my list

I see your point Pants Rowland and even if some feel a disdain for retaliation at the risk of injury, it’s part of ANY sport and it’s tactical measure. This discussion will just by the nature of the members split in age groups and eras will elicit responses contrary to each other.

Does an old fart like me think we should have plunked one of theirs the following inning. **** yes!! Don’t drill him between the eyes, but let the SOB and his team know “WE” are a team and WE have each other’s backs. Plain and simple as Cracker Jacks, scorecard and Sarsaparilla. If anything it says, sure you got us this time around, but here’s something to think about the next time we meet. I’m not going to leave this field with my tail between my legs. You might have beaten me on the scoreboard, but you don’t plunk us and ESPECIALLY our STUD when you’re up by a Touchdown with little chance of him with this AB making a difference in the game. The excuse he “crowds the plate” is ignorant at that point, so don’t send a steel feather at a dartboard like some pissed up sod at a pub in Liverpool at him. If you do, your next guy up is rubbing his derrière heading to bag #1. If I’m an old curmudgeon for having those feelings it tis what it tis.

BK59

Comment

Tough situation, a pitcher should probably protect his teammates if they were plunked intentionally, the only thing that bothers me if someone gets hit from a pitch that gets away and winds up getting beaned and maybe losing an eye and his career. Billy Pierce never threw at a guy because of the fear of ruining a guys career, I think his teammates understood where he was coming from and I'm sure they didn't think any less of him. Some pitchers had no problem with retaliation pitches like Early Wynn, Bob Gibson and Don Drysdale, those guys were going to knock you down for hitting a homer in the previous at bat or for even digging in too much at the plate while at bat.
                Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 10-15-2021, 11:55 AM.
                Now coming up to bat for the White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

Comment

Originally posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
                  A pitcher should protect his teammates if they were plunked intentionally, the only thing that bothers me if someone gets hit from a pitch that gets away and winds up getting beaned and maybe losing an eye and his career.
                  Agree Nell, I not saying head hunt and I’m not saying fire a 100 MPH heater at his manhood, but just a here it comes Jessie, get the liniment out.

BK59

Comment

Originally posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
                    Tough situation, a pitcher should probably protect his teammates if they were plunked intentionally, the only thing that bothers me if someone gets hit from a pitch that gets away and winds up getting beaned and maybe losing an eye and his career. Billy Pierce never threw at a guy because of the fear of ruining a guys career, I think his teammates understood where he was coming from and I'm sure they didn't think any less of him. Some pitchers had no problem with retaliation pitches like Early Wynn, Bob Gibson and Don Drysdale, those guys were going to knock you down for hitting a homer in the previous at bat or for even digging in too much at the plate while at bat.
                    Jeff Torborg told me the story of when he was catching and Willie Mays stepped in to hit and started digging a hole to anchor his back foot.

Jeff said Willie completely forgot who was pitching for the Dodgers, that he was just doing his natural routine.

Then he realized Drysdale was on the mound looking at him.

Jeff said Willie called time and starting filling in the hole!

Didn't matter...

First pitch saw Willie get knocked on his ass.

Comment

Article from 2019
                      HBP's highest since 1900

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...rates-but-why/

Comment

Originally posted by Chez View Post
                        I would send Pito an elbow/upper arm guard for Christmas and ask him to wear it during spring training so that he feels comfortable wearing it during the regular season.
                        Yeah. He should. However, *******s like Hinch and Baker would just hit him somewhere else. But it is a solid idea.

Comment

Not a fan of hitting people intentionally. The White Sox, as a contending team, have more to lose from a plunking war than most. Leave that stuff in the past.

I'm not convinced that anyone is intentionally hitting White Sox players. Jose Abreu is getting hit because the book on him is to pitch him inside, and when you throw inside you hit people on accident.
                          "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
                          -- Thucydides

Comment

Originally posted by Paulwny View Post
                            Article from 2019
                            HBP's highest since 1900

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...rates-but-why/
                            I loved the line in the article about Bob Gibson hitting you with a very hard fastball and then meeting you at the airport if you wanted to do something about it

Comment

Originally posted by HomeFish View Post
                              Not a fan of hitting people intentionally. The White Sox, as a contending team, have more to lose from a plunking war than most. Leave that stuff in the past.

I'm not convinced that anyone is intentionally hitting White Sox players. Jose Abreu is getting hit because the book on him is to pitch him inside, and when you throw inside you hit people on accident.
                              Sure they are. Come-on. With your team killing the Sox and with two outs in the 9th inning and a 3-2 count, the Astros pitcher hits Abreu in the elbow with a 96 mph fastball? It is nonsense that many Sox players but especially Abreu were hit intentionally. As for that "book" you sure as **** can try to pitch inside to a hitter. And if you hit the guy, it is not a big deal. But Abreu doesn't hang over the plate as some say. He has a normal place in the batter's box. Its bull**** what is going on. And I believe that they are TARGETING his elbow specifically knowing how much that **** hurts his ability to hit down the road.

The Sox pitchers as a group need to fix this **** for next season. They need to start going after the opponents best power guys and best hitters with some strong inside pitches. Put some fear of god in their minds that the next pitch thrown do them may leave a big fat bruise or welt on their body somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X