Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TLR factoid...

From Jayson Stark of the Athletic:

Tony La Russa now has won 13 division titles — second-most all-time behind Bobby Cox (15). It’s hard to even comprehend that Tony La Russa just won his 13th division title 38 years after he won his first, with the 1983 White Sox. No other manager in history has even come close to that.

Connie Mack (naturally) set the previous record, finishing first 29 years apart (1902-31). In division-play times, Joe Torre did it 27 years apart (1982-2009). But they’re not even in La Russa’s area code.

So here’s to Dusty Baker and Tony La Russa. The first time they managed against each other was so long ago (May 7, 1996) that five of the players who will start for them Thursday (Yordan Alvarez, Kyle Tucker, Luis Robert, Eloy Jiménez, Andrew Vaughn) weren’t even born yet. Now here they are again — to let the kids play and let the legends manage.

Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post
    So here’s to Dusty Baker and Tony La Russa. The first time they managed against each other was so long ago (May 7, 1996) that five of the players who will start for them Thursday (Yordan Alvarez, Kyle Tucker, Luis Robert, Eloy Jiménez, Andrew Vaughn) weren’t even born yet. Now here they are again — to let the kids play and let the legends manage.
    Remember way back when earlier this year when TLR was hired and some segments of White Sox fandom said he was "too old" to understand "today's game," or "relate to today's players"?

Well TLR is 77, Dusty is 72.

I think they got it.

Comment

The Sox have the clear managerial advantage in this series.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
        The Sox have the clear managerial advantage in this series.
        Well, there is no Mark Prior for Dusty to leave on the Mound for one too many pitches......

Comment

Originally posted by Dumpjerry View Post

Well, there is no Mark Prior for Dusty to leave on the Mound for one too many pitches......
          Is there a Russ Ortiz to pull too early?
          “It's not the high price of stardom that bothers me...it's the high price of mediocrity." - Bill Veeck

"If I was going to storm a pillbox, going to sheer, utter, certain death, and the Colonel said 'Shepherd, pick six guys", I'd pick six White Sox fans because they have known death every day of their lives and it holds no terror for them." - Jean Shepherd

Comment

Remember those "Dusty's Dugout Dice"?

I think somebody made that up for Guillen at one time as well.

Comment

This is a must-watch ahead of the series.

Comment

That was very interesting. I just hope the silliness doesn't continue after the 10 year layoff.

Comment

Working...
                X